Help! (stuck with Russian version)

Yep...I bought a copy of KOTOR2 on ebay, which stated that one would be able to choose language options of either Russian or English...

Well I installed it (by guessing the right choices from past experience) but even after installing, I can't figure out how to change it to English. I can't read Russian, and there's no obvious option control to change it over...anyone own a copy of this version of the game and can help me out!? OR...anyone own a copy who can open it up and see where you can change the language? If so, please state which buttons to click step by step for me...

Thanks for any help!

Yep...I bought a copy of KOTOR2 on ebay, which stated that one would be able to choose language options of either Russian or English...

Well I installed it (by guessing the right choices from past experience) but even after installing, I can't figure out how to change it to English.  I can't read Russian, and there's no obvious option control to change it over...anyone own a copy of this version of the game and can help me out!?  OR...anyone own a copy who can open it up and see where you can change the language?  If so, please state which buttons to click step by step for me...

Thanks for any help!

A) There isn't a verion of KotOR2 in Russian

B) Whatever language version it is, we don't support switching between languages. Mainly because the other languages don't exist on the disk :lol:

SiO2

Nearly all computer games have a Russian version. I always wondered if they were legally approved or not. They're sold openly in countries like Latvia which are bound by European Union copyright laws, which are quite strict. But if Obsidian doesn't know anything about them, maybe not.

In any case, I think you'll need to go onto a Russian-language forum to get help.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Maybe I can be of assistance...

1) There IS a Russian version of KOTOR and KOTOR 2

2) It is the product of software piracy

3) Latvia & others are not quite "up to scratch" yet legally, most of the software there is sold in open air markets for $2-$15.

4) Don't buy anything software related from a source that even smells Russian unless

a) You don't mind if it turns out to be illegal

b) You already own a legal copy, and want to have it in another language. Thats what I did with NWN...

Can not blame Russia for its strong black market, thats what a closed market does to a communist country. what better way to get ahead in life than to sell people what they wan't but can't have. Russia seems to be doing better and better all the time.

Seoul daba Paxa!

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Can not blame Russia for its strong black market, thats what a closed market does to a communist country. what better way to get ahead in life than to sell people what they wan't but can't have. Russia seems to be doing better and better all the time. 

Seoul daba Paxa!

I will be happier when Putin is merely a name for the history books...

really, why? i don't know much about Putin other than the fact he fired his whole cabin, whether that was good or bad, and how he dealt with the terrorists. whats you personal opinion, i dont have enough info to have my own.

He's an over-ambitious would-be dictator who recently failed to set up a puppet government in the Ukraine by rigging elections, has increased spending on developing new WMD, and is trying to keep America off his case by brutally slaughtering the Chechens in the name of the "war-on-terror".

Not his staunchest supporter...I'm ashamed to say I once thought him tha answer to our troubles.

He's an over-ambitious would-be dictator who recently failed to set up a puppet government in Irak and Afghanistan by Invading the countries, has increased spending on developing new WMD, and is trying to keep The whole World off his case by brutally slaughtering the So called terrorists (mostly citizens, because they can't find the real terrorists) in illegal non-UN sanctioned prisons with torture and executions and  in the name of the "war-on-terror". 

Fixed it for the Other World (US)

You can still use you're version for Russia though

He's an over-ambitious would-be dictator who recently failed to set up a puppet government in Irak and Afghanistan by Invading the countries, has increased spending on developing new WMD, and is trying to keep The whole World off his case by brutally slaughtering the So called terrorists (mostly citizens, because they can't find the real terrorists) in illegal non-UN sanctioned prisons with torture and executions and  in the name of the "war-on-terror". 

Fixed it for the Other World (US)

You can still use you're version for Russia though

I don't rank them in the same category, but :thumbsup: for the post idea... :p:x

• 2 weeks later...

Hm.

It seems to me people are completely ignorant about anything going outside of US...

I AM RUSSIAN. I live here for my whole life, and I can say there are two good presidents in our history - the second is Putin.

About chechens - how will you act if one of native US indian tribes starts the war against the US claiming their independence and killing thousands of innocent people?

About Ucraine - how will you act if one of US states (california for example) will claim its independence from US? What will your president do? As for ours - he gave them independence, but we all know what happened to that orphaned contry later ...

Ucraine was the part of Russia for about 300 years ... United States was not even in a project when this union was settled :-.

But it's all about politics we can discuss if you want in other forum or topic.

Speaking about piracy in Russia ...

As for me I hate them because of making bad translation, bad packaging, source software corruption and I prefer to buy licensed soft if it is possible. But such companies as lucasarts do not sell their products in Russia so we have no choice ...

KOTOR II is my first licensed game from Lucas arts. I spent about $70 for it, even I knew it was overpriced.

So, please, do not blame Russians any more without the proper reason.

Well I installed it (by guessing the right choices from past experience) but even after installing, I can't figure out how to change it to English.  I can't read Russian, and there's no obvious option control to change it over...anyone own a copy of this version of the game and can help me out!?  OR...anyone own a copy who can open it up and see where you can change the language?  If so, please state which buttons to click step by step for me...

Thanks for any help!

Ok, so its realy a pirated version, but may be It can be fixed.

Can you give a link on E-Bay where you've bought it?

Ah, but it's such fun to let the rednecks display their ignorance!

Ok, Maybe you can explain why after losing such a brutal election your party appointed Howard "Yee-Haw!" Dean to party chairman further removing your ideals from the mainstream?

Or why the Democratic solution for social security is Identical to President Bush's in every way except for the whole optional thing is mandatory with the left?

Or why to help the environment and save money your party has endorsed hybrid cars, only to discover that this keeps you from paying the gas tax and therefore has proposed a BIGGER tax on the hybrid cars (if that confused you at all, don't talk about the red blooded folks of this country being ignorant!)

Or why the so called hollywood "Activists" main concern seems to be for the environment, yet they drive Hummer H2's and take private jets (wasting millions of gallons of petroleum) all over the world, yet expect the common person to drive a Prius?

My gosh, I could go on for DAYS AND DAYS!!! Ignorant rednecks indeed...

Hm.

It seems to me people are completely ignorant about anything going outside of US...

I AM RUSSIAN. I live here for my whole life, and I can say there are two good presidents in our history - the second is Putin.

About chechens - how will you act if one of native US indian tribes starts the war against the US claiming their independence and killing thousands of innocent people?

About Ucraine - how will you act if one of US states (california for example) will claim its independence from US? What will your president do? As for ours - he gave them independence, but we all know what happened to that orphaned contry later ...

Ucraine was the part of Russia for about 300 years ... United States was not even in a project when this union was settled :thumbsup:.

But it's all about politics we can discuss if you want in other forum or topic.

So, please, do not blame Russians any more without the proper reason.

1. Putin was recently quoted to say that he misses the communist regime. We have also heard stories that statues of Stalin are being put back up for the first time since the wall came down. Many Americans would find this as a not good thing.

2. I think a lot of people in America would be overjoyed if the California (the "Left" coast) were to declare independence.

Er, what?

I'm British, you idiot. The American political system is something that I have little to no involvement in. o_O

If you do not follow our political process, why do you feel the need to stereotype people as 'ignorant rednecks' just because they seem to lean to the conservative side of the political spectrum?

---------------------------------------------------

BUT, to get back on topic, sounds like you got taken. Wait a few months and buy an English copy at a reduced price, or invest in a really good English-Russian translation dictionary.

Ah, but it's such fun to let the rednecks display their ignorance!

Ok, Maybe you can explain why after losing such a brutal election your party appointed Howard "Yee-Haw!" Dean to party chairman further removing your ideals from the mainstream?

Or why the Democratic solution for social security is Identical to President Bush's in every way except for the whole optional thing is mandatory with the left?

Or why to help the environment and save money your party has endorsed hybrid cars, only to discover that this keeps you from paying the gas tax and therefore has proposed a BIGGER tax on the hybrid cars (if that confused you at all, don't talk about the red blooded folks of this country being ignorant!)

Or why the so called hollywood "Activists" main concern seems to be for the environment, yet they drive Hummer H2's and take private jets (wasting millions of gallons of petroleum) all over the world, yet expect the common person to drive a Prius?

My gosh, I could go on for DAYS AND DAYS!!! Ignorant rednecks indeed...

Bah, a pochemu eto zdes' obsuzhdat'? Smysli net.

Er, what?

I'm British, you idiot. The American political system is something that I have little to no involvement in. o_O

Then who the hell wants your opinion? I sure as hell don't. When that european newspaper came out after OUR election with a headline that read "How Could 150 Million people Be So Stupid?!" do you think any of us that voted for Presdident Bush gave even one eighth a damn? Your country has enough of it's own problems you could be whining about. You won't see any of us "Rednecks" stopping to bitch about your extremely liberal parliament! I'm so sick of europeans taking a heavily liberal interest in my country.

Quit stereotyping the citizens of this country dammit.

I'm quite astonished that no moderator dealt with this totally off topic issue.

To go back to the topic, you should wait until a price drop and then buy it over Internet in a well known site such as Gamestop, play.com or amazon.

The Russian versions are pirate copies, it seems, but the problem is that the games companies are failing to provide a reasonable alternative. Russia is a huge and growing market, so why are so few games legally translated into Russian? Kotor 2 was translated into Italian, after all, surely a smaller market than Russia.

The problem is that the companies refuse to sell games at a reduced price - instead they charge Western prices, which are extortionate in former USSR countries, so no-one will buy legal copies. Their priority is to prevent cheap legal copies reaching the West, not to bring their product to a wider market.

While you can buy anything on e-bay, most legal game retailers such as Amazon won't sell directly to countries outside their specific 'zone'. So unless you have someone in the West willing to act as intermediary, it may actually be impossible to buy legal versions in many countries.

I'm not offering this as an excuse for software piracy, just an explanation of why it is so common.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The Russian versions are pirate copies, it seems, but the problem is that the games companies are failing to provide a reasonable alternative.  Russia is a huge and growing market, so why are so few games legally translated into Russian? Kotor 2 was translated into Italian, after all, surely a smaller market than Russia.

The problem is that the companies refuse to sell games at a reduced price - instead they charge Western prices, which are extortionate in former USSR countries, so no-one will buy legal copies.  Their priority is to prevent cheap legal copies reaching the West, not to bring their product to a wider market.

While you can buy anything on e-bay, most legal game retailers such as Amazon won't sell directly to countries outside their specific 'zone'.  So unless you have someone in the West willing to act as intermediary, it may actually be impossible to buy legal versions in many countries.

I'm not offering this as an excuse for software piracy, just an explanation of why it is so common.

Why do game companies not produce Russian language versions of their games? It's because you can buy pirated Russian language versions so easily. How do you expect to compete against prices that are basically paying for the cost of the cd itself plus a 10% mark up? You can't. Spending any amount of money developing a game for the Russian market would be STUPID, plain and simple.

Once Russia joins the civilized world, adopts the rule of law, and starts enforcing property rights instead of letting their country be run by corrupt oligarchs, companies will sell games in Russia because they know they can make money.

All of Russia's problems are self-inflicted. Look in the mirror before you start shouting brainless accusations at western companies.