Confirmed Performance Tweak - Download Now!

Overview: I may have found a memory optimization tweak that may increase prformance for both KOTOR and TSL. It involves editing the Texpacs.2da file using the KOTOR Tool and then dropping the modded file into the Override folder in your KOTOR or TSL directory.

I cannot gurantee this is an actual fix/tweak as the code may just be for XBox... But I did this and the game seems to play much smoother on my system (specs below) and this was BEFORE the recent patch.

1) First, you need Fred Tetra's KOTOR Tool that modders use to mod KOTOR and TSL:

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/index.html

In order to use this tool, you are also going to need and install the Microsoft Net Frame Work 1.1 avaiable at MS:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...isplaylang%3den

2) Once you have both programs installed, launch the KOTOR tool.

Be sure you are working out of your TSL directory structure (it will also work with KOTOR as well; The actual tweaked file can be used for both so it shouldn't matter either way).

3) Under either the KOTOR or TSL trees, expand the BIFs subdirectory. You will get numerous sub-trees. The one we are interested says 2da.bif.

Expand the 2da.biff

4) Expand the 2D Array.

5) Scroll down the 2da file list to texpacs.2da. Double click-on and the 2da Editor window should pop up. The interface is similar to a MS Excel spreadsheet.

6) Adjust line two (2):

Change the dynmemratio number from 0.75 to 1.0

What this does is tell the engine how much dynamic memory to allocate to the game and I believe .75 means 75%, thus leaving an additional 25% for other resources. This is done because the XBox and older graphics cards only have 32 and 64 MBs of system and or VRAM (Video RAM).

Most cards and systems have in excess of 1.0 Gig of system RAM, and or either 128, or 256 MBs of VRAM. We want KOTOR/TSL to use as much RAM as possible so it doesn't have to cache many things "on the fly" from either the VRAM or system RAM as that will slow down performance and load times.

OPTIONAL:

Add a new line: Line 3:

3 256MB_32BIT swpc_tex_tpa swpc_tex_gui 48620 1.0 2750000

(the last number, 275000, can be anything. Just make it MORE than 256. It is in Kb, not bytes or KB).

7) Select File and "Save As 2da..."

A Save box will come up. Point it to your KOTOR or TSL Override directory (you may hve to create this if you haven't already)

X:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2 (or SWKotOR).

Just save the file and exit out and start up your game.

Again, I cannot verify if this tweak actually works, but it seemed to make things a lot smoother and this is without any additional driver cleanings, reinstalls, formats and even before the recent patch.

System specs:

AMD 64 3200+

Windows XP 64

1024 MB PC 4000 DDRAM

ZNF-3 250 Chaintech mobo

ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB (Catalyst 5.4 Windows XP 64 Beta drivers)

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (Creative Windows XP 64 Beta drivers)

Hope this helps.

I would normally host the modded texpacs.2da file... But I don't have any webspace at the moment.

Also, maybe a dev could comment on if this actually works or not. I won't be embarrassed if it doesn't and would rather save people the trouble in going through all of this in case it does not.

Use FRAPs to test out your framerates before/after the change. let us know the numbers, so I can go ahead and try this.

I'd love to do this... But the problem is, and I admit it, there is no real "control" in this test even if I do this.

Meaning, I am now using the full version of Wiinows XP 64 -- Which does speed up certain processes, games included -- With new drivers written for this OS and that I didn't do a FRAPS comparison on a regular XP installation with lower specs (AMD 64 chips are always going to give better performance even in games where the code isn't optimized because they have less latency and sometimes that can make all the difference betwen a baddly coded game being unplayable and actually giving average performance).

What would help is if someone who has normal/average specs did a before and after FRAPS test because this is actually who I decided to post this tweak for if it in fact works.

Like I said, I have no shame if it doesn't work, but at least I am willing to go out on a limb and try something for those who may not have the above average hardware that I and others have to make their gaming experience much more enjoyable :D

Alright, I tested this with Fraps + non-patched KOTOR 2

With Tweak:

2005-04-16 08:30:57 - swkotor2

Frames: 841 - Time: 26976ms - Avg: 31.176 - Min: 9 - Max: 152

Without Tweak:

2005-04-16 08:33:53 - swkotor2

Frames: 707 - Time: 24425ms - Avg: 28.946 - Min: 9 - Max: 141

I tested this on the prologue, opening the Main Hold door and going to the door that will lead to Engine Room and Med. bay.

Specs:

AMD Duron 1.2Ghz

ATI Radeon 9600

640MB RAM

No other programs running into backround

800x600@Low+all special effects off+DVBO-tweak

As you can see, min stays the same while avg. and max. rise.

EDIT: Couldn't get same frames for both of them even though I did everything in the same way :(

How large is this file? If it isn't too big, I might host it for you people. :blink:

Just send me a pm or email.

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Then send it over and I'll host it.

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

*Force Persuade: Successful!*

"I shall not publish my email in a forum!"

Wizard

Thanks for testing this out.

I had my suspicions it might work. No dev has posted here otherwise, so you confirmed what I suspect. It may not be a huge gain, but I think it smooths out the game a little more.

If someone wants to PM me their e-mail, I'll send you the file to host.

Also, if a few more people with specs like Wizard want to test it and post results, it would help confirm it does indeed work and give this little experiment validity.

Alright peeps.

http://www.angeltowns2.com/members/invoker...er/texpacks.zip

That's the link for the file which will (or not) boost the overall performance of your gameplay. If it doesn't work when you click on it. Copy the link and open it in a new window.

I have done extensive testing with and without it and for me it does improve the gameplay.

My test-rig:

Intel Pentium 4 s478 2.8Ghz Northwood -C 800Mhz FSB 512kb L2Cache

TwinMOS TwiSteR 2x512 DDR SDRAM sticks CAS 2.0

ABIT Ai7 Motherboard with latest Bios.

WinXP Pro Corporate with SP2

HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro ICE-Q (overlocked to XT-speeds)

1024x768 High Res Texture packs and settings

With tweak:

2005-04-17 07:30:33 - swkotor2

Avg: 45.276 - Min: 17 - Max: 172

Without tweak:

2005-04-17 08:45:25 - swkotor2

Avg: 28.946 - Min: 15 - Max: 141

I gained a great increase in performance when using the tweak. The usual slowdown when you play T3 and go (roll?) to the console right before he is shot with an Ion Blast was gone. For me, this worked great.

Invoker:

Thanks for hosting the file.

It looks like we have two confirmed testers that say this in fact does work.

Once again, I wanted to help others with normal and average system specs and it looks like I have succeeded. This is who this tweak is/was primarily for. If you have a high-end rig, it may or may not make any difference at all, but you are of course free to try it out.

Once again, thanks to everyone who was willing to help test and host this mini-mod.

If others could post there results -- good or bad -- Feel free as the more data we get, the more validity this tweak has and possibly might be made a sticky *hint, moderators, hint* :thumbsup:

:D

this only added a few frames to everything. I guess it's my setup or my settings or the area in the game or a combination. I have it set at 1024x768 at 4x AA and 16x AF and all other effects on or at max. have a p4 2.8 HT/ 6600gt @ 500/1000 &

1 gig pc3200 ram.

before:

2005-04-18 01:59:55 - swkotor2

Frames: 2276 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 37.933 - Min: 20 - Max: 51

After:

2005-04-18 02:09:40 - swkotor2

Frames: 2445 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 40.750 - Min: 23 - Max: 51

Alright peeps.

http://www.angeltowns2.com/members/invoker...er/texpacks.zip

That's the link for the file which will (or not) boost the overall performance of your gameplay. If it doesn't work when you click on it. Copy the link and open it in a new window.

I have done extensive testing with and without it and for me it does improve the gameplay.

My test-rig:

Intel Pentium 4 s478 2.8Ghz Northwood -C 800Mhz FSB 512kb L2Cache

TwinMOS TwiSteR 2x512 DDR SDRAM sticks CAS 2.0

ABIT Ai7 Motherboard with latest Bios.

WinXP Pro Corporate with SP2

HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro ICE-Q (overlocked to XT-speeds)

1024x768 High Res Texture packs and settings

With tweak:

2005-04-17 07:30:33 - swkotor2

Avg: 45.276 - Min: 17 - Max: 172

Without tweak:

2005-04-17 08:45:25 - swkotor2

Avg: 28.946 - Min: 15 - Max: 141

I gained a great increase in performance when using the tweak. The usual slowdown when you play T3 and go (roll?) to the console right before he is shot with an Ion Blast was gone. For me, this worked great.

My Im an idiot but i cant figure out how to download that file. I click on the link and it says i need to become a member, so i sign up for the free account, login, and it still doesnt work.

Right click on the link and choose "Copy Link Location" if you are using FireFox/Mozilla. There is something similar in IE I believe.

Then open a new tab/browser field and paste the Url into the adress-bar and hit enter. It should work.

Or just highlight it and press CTRL+C to copy. Then open a new tab/browser window and go to the adress bar and hit CTRL+V to paste it in. Then hit enter and that's it. You should have downloaded the file or at least be prompted (if you are using IE) where you want to download it.

EDIT: If that does not work go here:

http://www.angeltowns2.com/members/invoker/Other

and locate "texpacks.zip" and download it then.

My webhosting is a bit anal about hotlinking and I'm looking into changing it soon.

• 4 months later...

Yes, they broke some time ago... I posted a version I had downloaded earlier in this thread.

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.