9800 pro and kotor 2

Updating the video drivers seem to cause the problem rather than solve it, or so I hear.

I have a Radeon 9800 pro card myself, but my main problem was with the grasslands on Dantooine, which slowed my game to the point of unplayability.

Smoke also caused the game to slow, but nowhere nearly as much.

Fortunately the solution is not so complex. Just open the swkotor2.ini file in notepad and add the line "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" to the graphics options (just before the game options).

Not sure if it works for anyone else, but it certainly made Dantooine playable for me. The graphics could still slow at times, but only to the point where I noticed it. Not sure why, but it worked like a charm for me.

get the new .4 catalyst drivers from the ati webby, they fix everything, ie dantooine lag and other kotor issues

Shows that ignorance is still rampant...

I wonder what genius deleted the stickied huge thread about working ATI drivers. Good job, not.

It isn't deleted, just unstickied. I guess Obsidian didn't want people thinking there were obvious issues with ATI graphics cards. If I'm not wrong, they are under the mistaken impression 5.4 solves all the issues, even without having to fiddle around with swkotor2.ini. As long as the workaround(DVBO) has to be used, you will find people complaining about the lag continually. Same thing happens on the KotOR 1 forum, but at least over there they leave the thread stickied, yes there is an ATI thread there too.

The dantooine (sp) bug happens for me and everyone its not ati specific as i have a geforce 4 ti4200

I didn't have any slowdowns on Dantooine playing with the 6800GT on their 66.93 drivers and generally haven't seen many Nvidia people complaining about slowdowns on Dantooine, whereas all ATI users experience the Dantooine lag one way or another with the newer ATI drivers unless they use the workaround.

It isn't deleted, just unstickied. I guess Obsidian didn't want people thinking there were obvious issues with ATI graphics cards. If I'm not wrong, they are under the mistaken impression 5.4 solves all the issues, even without having to fiddle around with swkotor2.ini. As long as the workaround(DVBO) has to be used, you will find people complaining about the lag continually. Same thing happens on the KotOR 1 forum, but at least over there they leave the thread stickied, yes there is an ATI thread there too.

That's not much better as cat 5.4 doesn't help at all and hardly anyone will find the ATI thread now and it did have some very useful info, namely what versions work for no lag and for gloom and that you can simply copy the DLL to the game folder rather than having to downgrade your driver. I found that very helpful. Alas, people will have to make do without that now and start countless new threads about the Dantoine slowdown. Good job, moderators.

i have a 9800pro but i could run at high but no slowdown till there's lots of action on screen etc.

I can run at maxed graphics options with no slowdowns even with lots of action on screen on my X800 XTPE on Dantooine as long as I have DVBO in my swkotor2.ini and your point was?

The problem is not everyone knows about DVBO. Currently, an ATI user cannot simply install the game and expect it to work where Dantooine is concerned. They have to tweak their swkotor2.ini to include the option and that means having to search around for the solution, which may be daunting for some people.