KotOR2 Patch

I think they should make a patch that adds 4 new planets, and online capabilities, and allow us to hit level 99!

P.T. Barnam ("There's a sucker born every minute."), would have loved you. In the long run however, Obsidian and LucasArts will find that most consumers don't easily forget companies who took advantage of their trust. Other companies have walked this path before and have found that a policy of ignoring defects is a huge mistake.

The current situation on this game is that even after the second patch, there are still numerous glitches. It's so bad that a group of fans have released patches to overcome various game-stopping problems. The apparently final official patch leaves the consumer with a game inclucing quests that cannot be completed and two end segments (Remote, and Mira/Hanhar) that make no sense whatsoever.

The majority of ppl is this forum attribute all of the game problems to LA and claim that Obsidian is contractually obligated not to fix the game. But imagine LA filing a lawsuit against Obsidian for releasing minor, non-official patches that fixed a defective consumer product with Obidian's name on it. LA would be laughed out of court and would damage their own reputation beyond repair.

This was Obsidian's first game. If Obsidian releases a second game like this, they're washed up; it's "Game over man, game over!". And even if their next, next and next games are near-perfect, Obsidian will likely find that the problems they ignore today will haunt them long into the future. Consumers will look long and hard before spending their money on a game that is likely to be abandoned by the developer. And every release of every future game will likely draw comments by reviewers, recalling SWKOTOR2, and raising questions whether Obsidian will fix any known and yet unknown problems in the game.

Personally, I'd like to see Obsidian succeed. But if I were a close and trusted friend or adviser, I'd tell them in a heartbeat that they're currently following bad advice, acting against their own best interests, and damaging their chances of achieving sucess in the long run.

This was Obsidian's first game.  If Obsidian releases a second game like this, they're washed up; it's "Game over man, game over!".  And even if their next, next and next games are near-perfect, Obsidian will likely find that the problems they ignore today will haunt them long into the future. Consumers will look long and hard before spending their money on a game that is likely to be abandoned by the developer. And every release of every future game will likely draw comments by reviewers, recalling SWKOTOR2, and raising questions whether Obsidian will fix any known and yet unknown problems in the game.

Personally, I'd like to see Obsidian succeed.  But if I were a close and trusted friend or adviser, I'd tell them in a heartbeat that they're currently following bad advice, acting against their own best interests, and damaging their chances of achieving sucess in the long run.

I agree. Neverwinter Nights 2 stand on wether they fall or rise. I find what happened with KotOR2 a shame, having to loose as much content as they had to loose. Because it didn't fit into their ultimate plan, which was the end of the game.

That Atari is withholding screenshots on the game from the public is of some speculation, however. :ph34r: I sincerely hope they get around to make NWN2 the best sequel there could ever be. And hopefully, the community can make KotOR2 the game it should have been.

I dont understand why they use so many movies in this game. I understand that "starship" movies are cool but other scenes.... The in-games cut-scenes like in kotor1 would be a better choice.

Erm, both K1 and K2 used both.

Pay attention to Kreia's Cutscene interactions, those are primarily Engine Driven. I believe all of the cutscenes with Atris are Engine Driven.

There were a few Pre-rendered Engine cutscenes (Visas's little scene), but again K1 used those with Bastilla early on. They just touched up the resolution enough that it didn't look like junk ;).

What are you talking about, movies in kotor1 were exellent. The ones in kotor2 , especially merks attack on dantoine, kreia fall and visas introduction are lousy. Theyre look like some poor quality trailers donwloaded from the outher rim of internet and theyre officail movies in full legal version :|

What are you talking about, movies in kotor1 were exellent. The ones in kotor2 , especially merks attack on dantoine, kreia fall and visas introduction are lousy. Theyre look like some poor quality trailers donwloaded from the outher rim of internet and theyre officail movies in full legal version :|

Thats were the Movie/Music patch comes into play. Since the movies were optimized for X-Box (TV-screens) and UNLIKE Kotor1 not adjusted to the PC-Format (Higher-Res), they look a lot worse. This patch would include Higher-Res Movies, so they will start looking like the Kotor1's.

KOTOR:1 had movies?

I unlocked them all, and they were 10 second shots of the Ebon Hawk, all 10 of them.

KOTOR:2 had over 40 movies.

They both have. Kotor2 has 65, Kotor1 has 61...

The Kotor1's looked far more Epic than the Kotor2's...

(Many Assault on Star Forge movies, The Infinite Fleet, the Dantooine Vision, the many movies about Bastila/Revan fighting)

Its also Obsidian's fault as well.  They signed on with those buggers.  Gods, I hope Feargie learns from this and never do business with them again.

Or just sign a better deal? It's not working for Lucasarts per se, it's the contract and how demanding the schedule is.

You can pretty much include ANY publisher in that complaint then. So basically Obsidian will have to develop AND publish all further games to avoid this problem.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, i doubt it will be released ever.

Kotor II in my mind was a Beta that never got finished because LA was too cheap and greedy.

Its also Obsidian's fault as well. They signed on with those buggers. Gods, I hope Feargie learns from this and never do business with them again.

Kind of an interesting corralary to be drawn here that just dawned upon me.

Why is it that BIS spin-off companies have trouble with publishers?

They both have. Kotor2 has 65, Kotor1 has 61...

The Kotor1's looked far more Epic than the Kotor2's...

(Many Assault on Star Forge movies, The Infinite Fleet, the Dantooine Vision, the many movies about Bastila/Revan fighting)

You do realize the last two example sets you gave were Engine created cutscenes, much like the Dantooine Mercs, Visas's Cutscene, Kreia's Fall, yada yada insert other complaints about Cutscene styled movies.

And I'm hard pressed to decide which fleet battle was more impressive to me, K2 or K1... Taris looked neat with the dessicated husk of a ship drifting in.

You do realize the last two example sets you gave were Engine created cutscenes, much like the Dantooine Mercs, Visas's Cutscene, Kreia's Fall, yada yada insert other complaints about Cutscene styled movies.

Yes, but (unlike Kotor2) these weren't stuffed to 640x480 for PC-version, making these look acceptable. Something I can't say of the Kotor2 movies you say.

Yes, but (unlike Kotor2) these weren't stuffed to 640x480 for PC-version, making these look acceptable. Something I can't say of the Kotor2 movies you say.

Ya know that's kinda strange, because look at the bink file. Revan's Death is in fact 640 x 360 resolution... Compared to the Khoonda Turrets Movie being 640x480...

So I guess it is true, but umm, does removing 120 pixels really improve the movie quality that much?

• 1 month later...

OE won't be releasing anymore patches. Just keep up with the Restoration Team at their website at www.team-gizka.com/wip.html.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Yep, this game has been abandoned by its creators and publishers.  Damn same that we have to rely on mods to get support for the game.  It really screws over the X-Boxers.

WAY TO GO OBSIDIAN!

Actually, it is possible that some Xboxes are modded, and I think I heard some people in the Restoration Team mention that their mods might work with the console.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

don't blame obsidian, its LUCAS ARTS!

LA determines what gets released!

Obsidian wanted to do a content patch, but LA said NO!!!

OBsidian did sound and video patch, and LA has yet to release it, and your great grand children will probable be dead before LA releases it, if then.

LA is full of crap.

and if a KotOR 3 is done, I would wait to see how badly LA messed it up.

Ooooh... I wouldn't blame either of them really. They're making dough off the game and LA has had some success post K2. I understand that they'd be eager to move on to the next project, all things considered.

What I don't understand is that in regards to Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucas himself goes on and on about the quality of the sucktacular saga and how he waited because he wanted things to be just right and the technology to be there and then he waited again on the DVDs because they really wanted it to be superb quality ... yatta... yatta... yatta, yet some asshat at their subsidiary had one of their products hacked and slashed to meet lofty deadlines all in the name of the bottom line.

Granted... k2 isn't a blockbuster phenomenon like sw:e4 but if you're going to slap your name on a product, shouldn't you at least do everything you can to make sure it measures up to the standards you claim to hold for all things derived of said company?

I was going to rant about the old days when programs were concise and carefully designed to fit into meager amounts of space and how the microsoftian coding mentality has pretty much ruined coders forthwith but I find it moot and fruitless at this point.

Accountability in the industry is something unheard of... much like Rodian Jedi Masters