KotOR2 Patch

Well, better late then never i suppose...

But i will not replay it again until the content-patch shows up and considering how long "soon" meant for LA & OE i have my fears about what "TBD" means for them. :thumbsup:

Wow, this is simply underwhelming. :(

More than 2 months have passed, and neither Obsidian nor LucasArts have found the time to fix the broken, poor in-game music.

Even the music composer himself lobbied both companies to fix his butchered work in an official patch, and had high hopes for it. It's no surprise that he was less than enthusiastic about how his music was bugged in the final game.

And the patch does nothing to rectify this? Way to go!

Actually as previously stated, the music and movies were too big to include in this patch and will be released in a second patch in a few days.

Thank You very much guys for the patch and I'm also looking forward to the second patch for the movies and music. Keep up the good work, for the time you guys had to developer KOTOR2 you did a great job, please don't give up :)

Thanks again!

Ha! :D

Master Vash's corpse will now yield a lightsaber if you have a lightsaber when you kill him on Korriban (dark side)

That's a quote from the bug fix list from Obsidian's site. Now I know why I made a mistake. :thumbsup:

Now all you have to do is add the Droid factory back in and finish the rest of the game.

First a disclaimer. I never played I or II, nor am I a SW fan. (I feel the SW setting is too cartoony, simple for my taste). Thus I have no interest in defending or not KotOR II.

I feel out of fairness, I should post this story as it may shed some light on the topic for some of you who wish to listen with a open mind.

I had a talk with a developer of Obsidian as I commonly do. KotOR II happened to come up, I inquired for no other reason I was curious what all the brew-haha was about. The developer said yes certain elements of the story got cut during production. Those are the unfinished/REM'ed out dialog and scripted events that people have unearthed. I asked, was this due to time. He said no, it was simply the fact during production they decided not to use those elements. And they stand by that the finished product as what they intended for the story in the end. He made the comment this happens all the time, ideas are made but in the end do not get used in the final product.

Now I am sure people here will scream bloody murder over this, but again I have no vested interest in KotOR 2 so take that as you will.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

First a disclaimer. I never played I or II, nor am I a SW fan. (I feel the SW setting is too cartoony, simple for my taste). Thus I have no interest in defending or not KotOR II.

He said no, it was simply the fact during production they decided not to use those elements. And they stand by that the finished product as what they intended for the story in the end. He made the comment this happens all the time, ideas are made but in the end do not get used in the final product.

Now I am sure people here will scream bloody murder over this, but again I have no vested interest in KotOR 2 so take that as you will.

Then I think it was a bad decision, SW fan or not.

Also, no offense to you since you are just relaying info... But I have a feeling that maybe the devs AREN'T legally allowed to say that LA made them rush the game and cut those sequences because it would be "bad form" to bad mouth a publisher/partner like that... Even if it is true.

The big thing is... Since you admitted you don't play SW or the KOTOR games...

The stuff they cut out would have actually FINISHED the game. The game in its current state is NOT fnished. Period. No iffs ands or butts. And this isn't a subjective, artistic interpretation. This is a scientific one in that the game is missing resolutions to certain quests, dialogue options have been left in (sloppy!) that lead to these cut materials, so on and so forth. This effects the technical quality of the game as well because this whole game is just a bunch of scripts that need to be triggered in sequential order (behind-the-scenes) and if you cut huge portions of those events and triggers... You're going to run into some major problems purely on the technical side alone.

Again, I am not blaming you since you have no interest in SW or KOTOR/TSL...

But speaking as a gamer who likes games that are story driven, I think you can see WHY people want that content in and why this just makes OE sound... Well, "stupid" to some extent because no developer in their right mind would cut out such vital parts of the story like this... At least, not on purpose.

This is why the belief still holds among many that LA demanded whatever OE had done up until November '04 for the Christmas, XBox deadline and OE had no choice but to give them a half-assed version of the game.

Also...

As grateful as I am for the patch and patches (coming)... They don't address half of the major bugs that the Bugs Thread lists in excrutiating detail. I hope that forthcoming ones eventually do because I would at least like a workable game, if not a complete one :thumbsup:

But speaking as a gamer who likes games that are story driven, I think you can see WHY people want that content in and why this just makes OE sound... Well, "stupid" to some extent because no developer in their right mind would cut out such vital parts of the story like this... At least, not on purpose.

This is why the belief still holds among many that LA demanded whatever OE had done up until November '04 for the Christmas, XBox deadline and OE had no choice but to give them a half-assed version of the game.

I agree. By blaming the hurried production schedule or LucasArts, a lot of people were actually trying to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt. It seemed the most reasonable explanation for why the last 10% of the game was so much weaker than the preceding 90%.

If Obsidian really produced the existing ending because they thought it was better, then I think they just got it wrong. Their story-telling powers failed them, and they misjudged their audience.

You take a character-driven story and rip out all the other characters before the end, without explanation.

You have an 'Empire Strikes Back' ending for a game where, in all likelihood, none of the characters in the story will be returning for part 3.

(I could go on, but it's been said before, and better than I can express).

Of course, Obsidian is not a monolith ( :) ). I mean, I'm sure there were creative discussions and disagreements amongst the writing team. In the end, they chose the wrong option, but the cut endings suggest that the company can produce the good ideas, it just needs to get better at recognising them. It's grounds for optimism about future projects.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The person(s) who made the decision to cut the best parts of the game out and replace them with some chewed out hack 'n slash missions should be rounded up, put against a wall and shot by a firing squad, repeatedly.

Yes, I'm being overly dramatic, I know that...

I'm like that sometimes... >_<

Wow, this is simply underwhelming. :)

More than 2 months have passed, and neither Obsidian nor LucasArts have found the time to fix the broken, poor in-game music.

Even the music composer himself lobbied both companies to fix his butchered work in an official patch, and had high hopes for it. It's no surprise that he was less than enthusiastic about how his music was bugged in the final game.

And the patch does nothing to rectify this? Way to go!

Actually as previously stated, the music and movies were too big to include in this patch and will be released in a second patch in a few days.

Thank You very much guys for the patch and I'm also looking forward to the second patch for the movies and music. Keep up the good work, for the time you guys had to developer KOTOR2 you did a great job, please don't give up :ermm:

Thanks again!

Hmm, "a few days" you say... kinda like "coming soon"? :blink:

Skipping dialogue bug still not resolved.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well, better late then never i suppose...

But i will not replay it again until the content-patch shows up and considering how long "soon" meant for LA & OE i have my fears about what "TBD" means for them.  :thumbsup:

John Morgan (Deveĺoper) wrote (in another thread):

The "High Quality movies" are too big for this patch and are going to be put into their own patch which should be up in just a day or two (everything's done, just need to build them).

Let's hope that is the case!

Has anyone else noticed that at the bottom of the lucasarts page it says specifically:

US only

It then goes on to let you download UK version 1.0a suggesting that UK is in the realms of 'international' so a patch for that would be soon......

It seems odd that on my UK game, when I autoupdate, it appears to download a file called "sw_pc_uk_from201420_to211427.zip".

On further inspection, it isn't on the lucasarts patch ftp server, so what is this patch??????

Edit: The patch I'm downloading through autoupdate is 15MB, which is 2.8MB larger than the US patch.... What have they added that uses up that much space?? Surely not spelling corrections!

Has anyone else noticed that at the bottom of the lucasarts page it says specifically:

US only

It then goes on to let you download UK version 1.0a suggesting that UK is in the realms of 'international' so a patch for that would be soon......

It seems odd that on my UK game, when I autoupdate, it appears to download a file called "sw_pc_uk_from201420_to211427.zip".

On further inspection, it isn't on the lucasarts patch ftp server, so what is this patch??????

Edit: The patch I'm downloading through autoupdate is 15MB, which is 2.8MB larger than the US patch.... What have they added that uses up that much space??  Surely not spelling corrections!

That file you mentioned _IS_ on the lucasarts ftp server... ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/sw_pc_...20_to211427.zip

The manual update is (as they mention) not yet available, but should be out soon...

Now, why the UK patch is slightly larger than the US patch is hard to tell (I have no clue as to what differences there are between the US and UK game versions). But I wouldn't be shocked if there is no notable difference between what the US and the UK patches fix.

Now, why the UK patch is slightly larger than the US patch is hard to tell (I have no clue as to what differences there are between the US and UK game versions). But I wouldn't be shocked if there is no notable difference between what the US and the UK patches fix.

Because it also has 1.0A things I guess (Manual and such...)