All the really great things about this game

Yes, there are some flaws...BUT this is the best game I have ever played (since Diablo ll) for a number of reasons.

1) The number of dialogue options borders on unreal. I have been through this game 13 or 14 times. Every single time I play I encounter new dialogue. Not just one or two lines, but many. I play a very thorough game each time (min. 30 hours) so it isn't like I am rushing through and not talking to the rest of my party.

I know there is more that I haven't come across, because there are many dialogue options I have not taken. No wonder the game takes up so much HD space!

2) The story is excellent, even with the missing parts. I just stop playing after the Ravager, that way I don't have to deal with the ending. For me it is all about exploring the seemingly infinite possibilities in the rest of the game.

3) Watching my characters in battle is really cool. The fighting movements are really fun to watch, and are very graceful at times. Playing other party memebers in battle is fun, and figuring out other ways to use them to avoid losing influence with others and gain influence with them is fun.

4) The detail in the graphics is awesome, especially if you manage to max all your graphics options - even if just for a few moments. The movies are very cool - I have unlocked 56 so far.

There are so many different ways you can play this game, and as I said, even with the flaws...It is a really kick a** game. I can't stop playing it!

Cons (in my opinion)

1.Graphics could have been better; they look really dated.

2.Story could have been better polished; ergo more complete

3.Romances weren't all that romantic in my opinion

4.Ugly underwear; it was brown and looked like pjamas what more can I say :rolleyes:

5.No one could decide on Revan's gender :blink:

6.Even as a Sith you more often get refered to as a jedi

7. Bosses too easy, not enough dramatic build up to them either

Pros ( in my opinion)

1.Still had most of the stuff that made the original so good

2.Better story than most games out there

3.More replayable than the first game

4.Better robes

5.Interesting characters

6.planet quests were more varied and more exciting

7.There were no villians that strip your character down to their underwear to torture them (Saul Karath is such a pervert) >_<

Why does every thread that starts w/someone praising what they like about the game have to turn into a 'but this is what sucks about the the game' thread? (ok, sorry, that was a bit harsh for this actual thread but eh...my opinion still stands in principle)

There's plenty of 'this sucks' threads already. Let people who like the game like their game w/out raining on their parade like negative nannies.

Vortex, I agree with you on all counts. game has problems, of course, and I too skip the ending (I finished twice, once Dark once Light, that was enough of Malachor for me) and just keep on playing the stuff before that. Although, I do tend to rush Peragus now. :D

Besides the fan-girlish nature of my obsession (heh) I still just really love to watch the battles - something about saber-fighting/the battle moves/jumps/dodges in this game just never gets old to me.

And I also keep hearing bits or larger bits of dialogue that I haven't yet triggered before. Much less now than before, but still...it always surprises me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2) The story is excellent, even with the missing parts. I just stop playing after the Ravager, that way I don't have to deal with the ending. For me it is all about exploring the seemingly infinite possibilities in the rest of the game.

I guess I'm even more of an optimist, because I actually like the final dialogues. I could do without the boring action bits, but the dialogues are worthwhile enough.

I guess I'm even more of an optimist, because I actually like the final dialogues. I could do without the boring action bits, but the dialogues are worthwhile enough.

Sure the dialogues were mostly pretty good, I can agree there. But the last segement of the game itself, leading up to the final battle is kinda a lonely experience in comparison to the rest of the game. Your companions don't even give you so much as a pat on the shoulder. You just go off and fight your way to Kreia all by your little lonesome during what I hoped would have been the climax of the game.

Still the dialogues were of a high standard, and I liked the way that the final battle was a bit of a dilemma. It wasn't like most games where it's like the hero faces the big bad villan and that's it (but I still like that stuff too), instead it was kind of arkward coz your mentor went insane.

Having a thread devoted to the greatness of this game is like having a thread devoted to the greatness of massacring millions of Jews in concentration camps -- there's only like five people who praise it and they're all out of their mind and are too ignorant.

In this instance there's like seven and they're ignorant of real games that have been finished, polished, and are on a level that blows this game's level away. We have that right to interject and perhaps to 'educate' people who think TSL was anything but a failure. Besides, the title is vague at best.

'All the really great things about this game' could be counted on one hand, for instance. I'm being generous, of course.

No I really think it's a good idea with the thread. It really shows how the game had a massive potential of becoming sth great and it did but rather not or did or not... or...

let's just say that there are alot of very cool things about the game.

The problem is that these things are somewhat of uncomplete or unpolished.

Graphics - I don't have anything against the K1 engine - I've been plaing K1 lately and sometimes stood for miutes watching at some sights just to enjoy the graphics. The problem in K2 is that graphics at medium are worse than graphics ar medium in K1.

Yes if you max out the graphics in K2 they're good but I still think they're somewhat of blurry (or is it my old graphics card? - though in K1 it looked nice).

The cut-scenes are good but again they're damn blurry.

Nar-Shaddaa was supposed "It's got a life to it" like Mira said but all I felt was an emptiness (or was it on purpose because of the sector in which I accidentaly landed on Nar Shaddaa?). Taris had a life to it -> the background was acctual models of nice looking buildings, some sith ships flying here and there -> it all made it look like the city's alive.

OK ehm... I was supposed to write about the good things of K2 so here we go again:

the villains of K2 had a great concept. Sion who came in a ship full of dead republic soldiers and then the cinematic where he kicked Kreia's ass - respect owned back then (though later he's lost it totally because of his whining), Nihilus - the most powerful character in the game with impossible life drain abilities - respect owned too (but then again he kneels before the Exile who isn't very powerful which the game is trying to show us all the time then falls after a couple of rounds not doing too much damage).

Ok to the point - I wanted to say that K2 had an awesome enviroment - the problem was how every aspect of a story/sub-story ended in there. The whole lot of concepts which gone off wasted.

Really it's like the whole game was made to be the best game ever but at the end it was just like to show everybody that nothing in the game had any meaning except for Kreia.

To not look like another one who starts with compliments and ends with complains let me write quickly the best things about K2:

- great game characters (or at least their concepts)

- robes!

- newer lightsaber colors + all the newer items which made upgrading items more than just packing up 2 of the best upgrading-items into them

- Onderon conflict (+the sky-ramp battle which was one of the best if not the best of all bigger battles in both Kotors)

- DSers have the fun of acctually killing some jedi masters - you can't even imagine how fun was that for me

- animations - somer were cooler than in the first kotor IMO (like one of the power attack animations)

- the idea of random item generation (though it should check back on whether you've received an item like that or not -> things like 12 violet crystals in a row are killing me)

- ok ok the dark atmosphere did work out well most of the game

"And that's about all I've got to say about that. Now let's get going" :p

Having a thread devoted to the greatness of this game is like having a thread devoted to the greatness of massacring millions of Jews in concentration camps -- there's only like five people who praise it and they're all out of their mind and are too ignorant.

In this instance there's like seven and they're ignorant of real games that have been finished, polished, and are on a level that blows this game's level away. We have that right to interject and perhaps to 'educate' people who think TSL was anything but a failure. Besides, the title is vague at best.

'All the really great things about this game' could be counted on one hand, for instance. I'm being generous, of course.

That's only your opinion of course and neither does your comparison make sense nor are the numbers you give remotely true. :p

My problem with the dialogues is that they don't actually tell you anything. I may as well have listened to a Linguaphone lesson for Swahili: that will have more interesting sounds.

I have just been replaying the last few scenes to collect some of the underlying philosophical framework revealed. And my research is inconclusive. Characters contradict themselves in adjacent sentances of their own monologues. And different characters agree and disagree similarly in their respective adjacent monologues. (And all the monologues seem to be joined together in certain areas of the game, so that the player is bombarded with philosobabble, that is not meaningful on any level, for a sufficient length of time to allow for the saturation effect to overcome any common-sense dissent.)

So, either the writers were being vague because they didn't have time to complete their planning, or they didn't want to say anything controversial. The result is that Yes, no existing SW lore is invalidated; but equally, nothing new is introduced -- except for the "wound/echo", which is never explained further than "it's bad", so bad that both Dark and Light characters have to stop it. Or something bad will happen. We think.

So the game actually ends up being bubblegum, not sustenance.

And the tragedy is the story has a lot of promise. If the writers had been a bit braver (or organised?) we could have had an instant classic; a timeless plot.

Oh the humanity.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The graphics are somewhat dated I would agree, but they work, no one can dispute that.

The thing I didn't like, but it was also true of Kotor, is that this game is immensly dumbed down, the ennemies are too easily dispatched, and the quests are very simple in structure. This game could really pick up a few pointers from Baldur's Gate. But, it is a console game to begin with and one must bare in mind that there's only so much you can do with those blasted handheld controllers.

If you ask me, I think something very bad happened to the RPG genre when NWN came out, it did something to the rest of them. I finished NWN, but maybe I just harbor such bad memories because of the years of anticipation we had to endure before it came out and when it did... well you know the rest, it's like what happened with Shadowbane, what a piece of junk.

The graphics are somewhat dated I would agree, but they work, no one can dispute that.

The thing I didn't like, but it was also true of Kotor, is that this game is immensly dumbed down, the ennemies are too easily dispatched, and the quests are very simple in structure.  This game could really pick up a few pointers from Baldur's Gate.  But, it is a console game to begin with and one must bare in mind that there's only so much you can do with those blasted handheld controllers.

If you ask me, I think something very bad happened to the RPG genre when NWN came out, it did something to the rest of them.  I finished NWN, but maybe I just harbor such bad memories because of the years of anticipation we had to endure before it came out and when it did... well you know the rest, it's like what happened with Shadowbane, what a piece of junk.

Well, I feel for your pain, but I happend to think NwN was/is a good engine. I would recommend to you the Community mods, especially the Hall of Fame members.

I also think you are being a bit harsh on Bioware; it is not their fault that after their engine was released no-one else has stepped up to the challenge and produced anything similar. You can't expect Bioware to create teo competing engines!

I think NwN 2 will again set the standard, and I hope, for all our sakes, that it is good enough to impress you(!). :cool:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I must be the only person i the universe who disliked everything about KOTOR-2 ,I was utterly dissapointet in every single aspect of the game.

Interesting.

I thought the concept of Kreia --

the betrayer

was a good idea.

I agree the execution of just about every theme, leit-motif, character sketch and plot device was botched. This rendering a very good game foundation into a series of fight scenes, with a misguidedly- and poorly-overpowered PC, interspersed between NPCs mumbling philoso-babble in order to guide the oilslick-deep-plot to its next critical point.

I did think some of the battles were very good, especially the second trip to Dxun and Onderon. (There we go, I started and ended with a positive point!)

:)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT