KOTOR 3- Please don't use the KOTOR ENGINE

I hope to God that KOTOR3 does not reuse this dated, old, dull looking and bloody buggy engine, that STILL runs like crap on top systems.

Not that I am holding my breath much for KOTOR3, Can't even make headways into KOTOR2.

Anyone else agree that everything else aside, this engine just sucks? Poor graphics, poor performance, and buggy. And can you say lack of any cinematic sequences? Every time someone says "Here let me help you with that...", you just black out and gain something. Its pathetic.

And can you say lack of any cinematic sequences? Every time someone says "Here let me help you with that...", you just black out and gain something. Its pathetic.

Gotta disagree with this part. There are plenty of cinematics. They just don't involve humans. (And they're in crappy XBox resolution too)

I disagree the engine sucks and it's been used what twice? Yeah a real geriatric. All a new engine will bring is a hell of a lot longer development cycle which could be much better spent in developing the characters and writing a good story, polish, testing, etc; a whole new batch of stupid bugs it will take 3 patches to resolve; a mess of complications involved every time a new engine is made.

Game polish is very important, make the environments look realistic; don't just have a bucnh of empty rooms with enemies in them or a couple of chairs or a plant or two in the middle of a corridor. But making the rust in a steel bar look more rusty or see imperfections in the wood of a crate, for all the pretty unseeable graphics that hog resources like a NASA supercomputer it didn't help Doom 3 in being any of a better game than mediocre. I'm just thankful KotOR doesn't have that RTS perspective like Diablo and Baldur's Gate.

I don't mind they make a new engine for K3, but I don't actually want one either. I'd rather they work of the story and characters than graphics and the ability for the robe to sway smoother in the wind.

My two cents

I hope to God that KOTOR3 does not reuse this dated, old, dull looking and bloody buggy engine, that STILL runs like crap on top systems.

Not that I am holding my breath much for KOTOR3, Can't even make headways into KOTOR2.

Anyone else agree that everything else aside, this engine just sucks? Poor graphics, poor performance, and buggy. And can you say lack of any cinematic sequences? Every time someone says "Here let me help you with that...", you just black out and gain something. Its pathetic.

the engine isn't old its been used on kotor 1 and 2 and the underlying engine has been used for a couple other games like NWN the graphics are really good the engine also has really good peformance remember kotor 1 and its only buggy because the software was written in like what a year.

Whoever develops Kotor 3 will have to use a different engine. It won't be released for another 2-3 years. If you bring out something with the old engine, it will be getting 3/10 for graphics in major review magazines. That will hit sales hard.

The developers will have a choice between developing their own new engine or using someone else's. Obsidian's NWN2 engine might be a candidate for that.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Game polish is very important, make the environments look realistic; don't just have a bucnh of empty rooms with enemies in them or a couple of chairs or a plant or two in the middle of a corridor. ...

So you have been playing KotOR2, then? :D Almost as bad as that disco in Deus Ex:IW with four people in a room big enough to build the Pyramid of Giza in. :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I like the engine. In KOTOR 3, I hope they JUST tweak it a bit. I would hate it if they went with an engine like Halo. As for the blacking out, I remember someone saying about the Bastila/Revan kiss. "Have you ever seen two polygons kiss?"