KOTOR 3- Please don't use the KOTOR ENGINE

I hope to God that KOTOR3 does not reuse this dated, old, dull looking and bloody buggy engine, that STILL runs like crap on top systems.

Not that I am holding my breath much for KOTOR3, Can't even make headways into KOTOR2.

Anyone else agree that everything else aside, this engine just sucks? Poor graphics, poor performance, and buggy. And can you say lack of any cinematic sequences? Every time someone says "Here let me help you with that...", you just black out and gain something. Its pathetic.

I hope to God that KOTOR3 does not reuse this dated, old, dull looking and bloody buggy engine, that STILL runs like crap on top systems.

Dated and old, the engine is. You are correct. However, you fail to realize that it only looks dull in comparison to most games today. When K1 came out, the engine looked brilliant.

Buggy, the engine is not. K1 is almost flawless. It was the lack of debugging by Obsidian (due to time constraints by LA) that caused K2 to be so buggy, not the engine itself. I only have a mid-range system, and K1 runs flawlessly on my machine. It does not run anything like crap. Only K2 does at some points, but again, that's because of the time constraints of LA rather than the engine itself.

Not that I am holding my breath much for KOTOR3, Can't even make headways into KOTOR2.

Well, that's your opinion. Many people have finished K2 many times.

Anyone else agree that everything else aside, this engine just sucks? Poor graphics, poor performance, and buggy. And can you say lack of any cinematic sequences? Every time someone says "Here let me help you with that...", you just black out and gain something. Its pathetic.

Obviously there's something wrong with your computer. The engine is outdated, but it is stable. Again, the graphics are only poor in comparison to today's graphics. They were great when K1 came out. The engine gives good performance and a bug-free experience if there is enough time to debug.

Also, who really needs a cinematic experience for building your lightsaber? Do you really need to watch yourself build it in a cutscene? It sounds like you have ridiculously high standards. If things like that were put in cutscenes, there would be even more bugs in K2, and you'd be complaining even more. The game is an RPG. It's not supposed to have state-of-the-art graphics or amazing cutscenes. The plot is what's important in an RPG. You've just got to appreciate the game for what it is, and not expect it to be something it's not.

*Edit: the quoting didn't work properly, so the quotes are now in bold.

Live forever or die trying.

jengaaaaux2.gif

Considering the fact that X-Box Next (or whatever they're calling it) is coming out this fall they'll probably use a new engine for KOTOR 3 (which seems to be an inevitability but then again, look at the lack of any work at all on a "Starcraft 2" despite outrcies from fans).

Even if no one complained they would make it with a new engine - altough I don't see any problems with the current engine. You need newer graphics or else the game can't compete - the name/story can't sell the game alone.

Have you been playing Half-Life II...

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I actually like the engine being used.

Course im playing on my xbox :-

Graphics are decent enough, I had almost no bugs in parts 1 or 2 (to be honest I had more bugs in part 1 then in part 2).

Limited slowdowns which seem to plauge any and all games anyways.

PS: I really hope they finish this franchise on xbox 1. XBox one users are the people that supported the franchise and made it successful and for that they should finish the franchise off on same system!

Pipe dream I know but I have no plans to buy a XBox 2 until its at least 2-3 years old and normal inflated NEW price drops into reasonable reality levels.

Course im playing on my xbox :-

I played KotOR(s) on my old 32mb GeForce4 440, so I won't (pretty sure) be able to play a new engine KotOR III

if you've seen some of my other posts you'll know I'm looking for an X850XT

. Nevertheless I fully accept (and make no opposition) to a new engine, even though I'll be resigning myself to not being able to play K3.

The hope is that when K3 comes out in a few years I'll have money for new computer by then

for some reason I'm an unemployable Uni student, no one seems to want me

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Considering the fact that X-Box Next (or whatever they're calling it) is coming out this fall they'll probably use a new engine for KOTOR 3 (which seems to be an inevitability but then again, look at the lack of any work at all on a "Starcraft 2" despite outrcies from fans).

XBox 360 and it's apparently not going to be able to play xbox 1 games or so I've heard. Also they're not making any new original xboxes since the new console is scheduled to be out this autumn , apparently.

MY PHOTORECEPTORS!

Dated and old, the engine is. You are correct. However, you fail to realize that it only looks dull in comparison to most games today. When K1 came out, the engine looked brilliant.

Indeed, the Kotor 1 graphics were cool for the time and the Engine was fine, but it is old.

Buggy, the engine is not. K1 is almost flawless. It was the lack of debugging by Obsidian (due to time constraints by LA) that caused K2 to be so buggy, not the engine itself. I only have a mid-range system, and K1 runs flawlessly on my machine. It does not run anything like crap. Only K2 does at some points, but again, that's because of the time constraints of LA rather than the engine itself.

Agreed. Never had a big problem playing KoTOR 1 and I have may with KoTO2. How come it's the Engine's fault if it didn't change. ;) Would you care to explain? Obsidian, LA, anyone? ;)

hmm, the engine is actually from NWN and for that the look is really cool.  :D

Yep, but they did something to it -- the movies. I never had a problem with NwN, yet KotOR crashed with memory errors after a few minutes with movies on (anywhere in the game) and KotOR2 is much worse ... I get memory crashes with the movies off, now.

So they have definitely added some sloppy coding -- probably a few routines don't empty their registers and this becomes a huge problem after the game has been running for a while.

Boring stats:

I have an ATI DirectX 9 compatible card (and 9.0c drivers) and meet the required settings. I don't have the recommended settings, however, but that's because there doesn't exist a laptop graphics card better than wotIgot.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Agreed. Never had a big problem playing KoTOR 1 and I have may with KoTO2. How come it's the Engine's fault if it didn't change.  :geek: Would you care to explain? Obsidian, LA, anyone? :p

I remember some early interviews and the devs basically said that they originally thought that KOTOR II was going to be faster that the first one. However, by adding alot of new features (combat scripts, lightsaber forms, etc), they ended up with a game that was a bit slower than the first. Anyway, I remember something to that effect.

With regard to problems with movies, etc, most of that is coming from the PC side of the house. I have an Xbox and did not experience any showstoppers at all.

Perhaps they rushed the port-over job.

Obsidian is not going to be making any more KoTOR games so why post this thread here? You mgiht aswell write a letter complaining to santa claus.

In fact, chances are there wont be K3 at all.

Oh, and the engine sucks. It was bad from the start, too laggy.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Course im playing on my xbox :p

I played KotOR(s) on my old 32mb GeForce4 440, so I won't (pretty sure) be able to play a new engine KotOR III

if you've seen some of my other posts you'll know I'm looking for an X850XT

. Nevertheless I fully accept (and make no opposition) to a new engine, even though I'll be resigning myself to not being able to play K3.

The hope is that when K3 comes out in a few years I'll have money for new computer by then

for some reason I'm an unemployable Uni student, no one seems to want me

Um, what spoilage are you preventing by keeping your video card and work status from us? :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I must have old eyes because the graphics look fine and dandy to me, with all the settings up high and on 1600 resolution.

Granted, I'm sure plenty of games have more vibrant colors, less polygon jointing, smoother textures, blah blah blah, and I know that Doom1 sure looks pixelated to me now (god people thought that looked so great, back then, lol) but it's never going to look like a movie (unless you want to pay more and wait longer) and so I'm happy with Kotr's graphics as is.

But! A new engine would still be nice - if only to make something different/have new potential options instead of more of the same.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Right sorry but i think there is some SERIOUS need of clarification here...

Go to the Bioware forums and date back to when KotOR1 was first released...

You will be reminded quite heavily of what this forum looked like when it was released...

Its quite funny really....