Locking up - wasn't before

I had very few problems with the game crashing at first as long as I would re-start the game every couple hours or so (on those 10 hour gamplay days) but now after about 30 minutes I get a high-pitched tone and my pc locks up and/or shuts down. Nothing shows up in my event logs or error logs. The game itself does not crash . I have uninstalled/reinstalled my soundcard and graphics card drivers, as well as the game. I have defragmented my hd in between uninstalling and re-installing the game, cleaned my registry, started over with fresh characters and everything.

No viruses, spyware, malware, etc.

If anyone has a clue as to what the problem might be, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

AMD Sempron 2600+ (1.83 GHz)

MSI KT4A-V (K7) MB Via chipset

Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1

GeForce FX 5500oc 256MB AGP 8x

60 Gig Maxtor ATA HD

512MB ram

I had very few problems with the game crashing at first as long as I would re-start the game every couple hours or so (on those 10 hour gamplay days) but now after about 30 minutes I get a high-pitched tone and my pc locks up and/or shuts down. Nothing shows up in my event logs or error logs. The game itself does not crash . I have uninstalled/reinstalled my soundcard and graphics card drivers, as well as the game. I have defragmented my hd in between uninstalling and re-installing the game, cleaned my registry, started over with fresh characters and everything.

No viruses, spyware, malware, etc.

If anyone has a clue as to what the problem might be, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

AMD  Sempron 2600+ (1.83 GHz)

MSI KT4A-V (K7) MB Via chipset

Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1

GeForce FX 5500oc 256MB AGP 8x

60 Gig Maxtor ATA HD

512MB ram

Same thing happened to me. Same attempts to fix the thing. I am at the very end of the game and then I locked up. After that lock up I am no longer able to stay in game more than a couple minutes without having the sound freak out and then the entire machine freezes. I can't do anything except power off or reset. I played through the entire game with a few crashes (maybe 2 the entire time) and now it just crashes every time I start a new character, or load an old saved game. This is VERY frustrating.

Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz

Creative SB Audigy Gamer

GeForce 6800 Ultra OC

1 Gig RAM

Win XP SP2

80 Gig HDD with 30 Gig free

All my drivers are up to date.

All my drivers are up to date. No lagging on Dantooine (only very briefly) so the disable vertex thing isn't my issue. I used that when I had my processor running at 1.1 GHz...that has been months ago now.

I do think I figured it out, though. I added a second fan to the inside of my case...I had checked my cpu/system temperature and it was over 130 F... I played for over two hours straight without it crashing. In fact, in never did crash again after that. But, that was only last night, and only for one session. I will try again today and post my findings.

It still works...played over 2 hours no crashing

:thumbsup:

So all of a sudden, your box was too hot? That makes no sense, yet at the same time it does make sense. What I can't figure out is - why was I able to run so long previous to that fatal crash? And now I can not play for more than a couple minutes?

I have never had heat problems. I do know that my CPU runs about 135F, but that has never been a problem and I thought that was a normal temperature. I will try adding a fan and see if that helps...

It still works...played over 2 hours no crashing

;)

So all of a sudden, your box was too hot? That makes no sense, yet at the same time it does make sense. What I can't figure out is - why was I able to run so long previous to that fatal crash? And now I can not play for more than a couple minutes?

I have never had heat problems. I do know that my CPU runs about 135F, but that has never been a problem and I thought that was a normal temperature. I will try adding a fan and see if that helps...

MSI motherboards - the kind I have - apparently have a issue with overheating. Apparently the longer I kept my computer on, the worse it got. Plaved another 3 hours after the 2 hr run and not a single problem. That was the only thing I changed.

Hope it works for you