Fantasy novels

ramza

I guess the inaccuracies wear on me pretty quickly, which is strange because I liked the LOTR movies

Plus Sting prancing around is dreadful

oh no .. not that film! >_<

the miniseries were tolerable! but *that* film .. it's so ironic, that it was actually Herbert that ruined it ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series is nice. So is Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series. I remember liking Stephen Donaldson's the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series, but that was a long, long time ago.

I've had a hard time finding Fantasy books that I like. I've read all the Salvatore's Drizzt books, but it seems more like a chore now then it did in the beginning. I've read just about all the prolonged spinning drow sword fight descriptions that I probably need to in my lifetime but I've invested too much time in the series to stop now.

I really enjoyed the first Dragonlance run. Ah, grade eight. I guess the only thing close to fantasy that I've read lately has been the Gunglinger series by Stephen King.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I assume that by fantasy the author of this topic meant "orcs and elves and sh*t in a pseuo-medieval setting"

Exactly... is there anything wrong with such settings? Why are you so negative?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Its just that its been done to death. And most of it is complete rubbish, I tried reading a few of the "good ones" but I felt I could get more out of those Harleqin novels you an buy for a euro a piece at the supermarket.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I recommend anything by David Gemmell, in particular his 1st book 'Legend'. I've read a great deal of fantasy, including most of the forgotten realms books, and believe me, none of it comes close to Gemmells writing. I felt the same way upon finishing Legend as I did seeing Star Wars for the 1st time, thats how good Gemmell is. None of his later books have disappointed either :thumbsup:

Grr...I dislike Ursula K LeGuin...no one writer should be allowed take up over 5 shelves with small paperbacks, *none* of which repeat in a bookstore with very limited space...and thanks to her, I can NEVER find anything by Tanith Lee, much less a copy of "The Silver Metal Lover".

I read some Robin Hobb recently, and liked it a lot. The setting is more medieval, with elements of fantasy, but very well written. Aside from Terry Pratchett, I haven't read any fantasy for years, but dredging a few names up from the back of my memory...

I liked Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, especially the character Linden Avery (?). John Wyndham is well known in the UK, and famous for The Day of the Triffids, but the Chrysalids and The Midwich Cuckoos were my favourites.

A lot of people who like sci-fi or fantasy like Jorge Luis Borges' short stories, a mix of fantasy, philosophy, and anything else you care to mention.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

...I liked Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, especially the character Linden Avery (?)...

I heard about that series, and read somewhere that it's not really your typical fantasy book. Wanna tell a bit about them?

OT: I have yet to read a fantasy novel/series that had a lasting impression, but then again, I'm more drawn to classic literature...

...I liked Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, especially the character Linden Avery (?)...

I heard about that series, and read somewhere that it's not really your typical fantasy book. Wanna tell a bit about them?

OT: I have yet to read a fantasy novel/series that had a lasting impression, but then again, I'm more drawn to classic literature...

Well, it's not elves and orcs and so on. The main character Thomas Covenant is a deeply flawed person, and the more interesting for it. He's well developed, I think, although some of the writing elsewhere is patchy. I remember liking it because Covenant traipsed across the world on some typical fantasy quests, but kept a critical distance and rejected the role of hero. Linden Avery appears in the second half of the series, and her story is also one of resisting the roles that others try to force on her.

I really should re-read it...

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Contrary to the comon opinion most fantasy published today (with the exception of books based on rpg settings) don't feature elves, dwarves and so on.

Of all the fantasy books I own (way to many) I would guess that less then 5% use tokenistic races...

Anyway as for some recomendations:

I second the recomendation of George R.R. Martins "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Steven Eriksons "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series is also very good but a bit hard to get started on since he drops the reader in the middle of a rather complex setting without any explanation whatsoever.

Robin Hobb is also a very good (think someone mentioned her above...).

Based on the one book I read by Scott Bakker he is an author to keep your eyes on (the books name was "The Darkness That Comes Before" btw).

I also like JV Jones "Sword of Shadow" series is rather good even if it has a terrible title (first books called "cavern of black ice").

A few other fantasy authors I like without any motivation:

Steven Brust

Lynn Flewelling

JK Rowling (potter you know...)

Carol Berg

Glen Cook

Matthew Stover

Clive Barker

Guy Gavriel Kay

Orson Scott Card

Neil Gaiman

Oh and for the record Pratchet is overrated :lol:

The Thomas Covenant series is well worth the read - btw there is a new continuation of the series out - the first book came out last year. Not sure when the next one is coming out, but should be this year.

Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCaffery if you want something that isn't all about elves, etc (personally, I love that kind of fantasy, but those two have developed VERY good non-elvish-type fantasy).

I've really enjoyed the Elminster series, and yes, definitely, the Avatar series for FR.

I haven't seen David Eddings mentioned, so I'll add him to the list.

As far as classics, I really enjoyed Andre Norton's Forerunner series.

That should keep you busy for a while! <grin>