Fantasy novels

ramza

I have read a lot of final fantasy novels during the last few years: amongst them most of Salvatore's books with Drizzt and Cunningham's Starlight and Shadows trilogy. I personally Salvatore's writing style and stories, with the only exception that he "protects" his characters way too much. The Dark elf trilogy is probably the most well-written set of novels among his collection. Moreover, he tends to be repetitive especially concerning the vendetta between Drizzt and Artemis. I don't like the fact that his main characters are so perfect, since this doens't make them credible. A common thing among all the people who have read Salvatore's books is that they all dislike the characters (i am no exception either) but I can't find the true source of this hartred. Concerning Cunningham, her characters were nice and interesting, but the story was way too simplistic and everything in the plot took place so conveniently for the main characters. Anyway, even though I enjoyed her books, I was more than happy when I ended her trilogy and started reading the Hunter's blades trilogy. I noticed that his writing style was really good and that salvatore had his way to immerse the reader into the FR. The story is classical and I don't expect too much out of it, but I still like epic battles, no matter how exaggerated they are.

My family has given me some other fantasy novels, including the Cleric Quintet, the dragonlance legends and chronicles, and the dragonlance War of Souls trilogy. I haven't read them yet but I hope they are good.

I have also been considering buying the 5 novels from the Avatar series and the 5 novels from the Elminster series but I am not too sure about it. What do you think?

Cheers.

PS: I was reading some reviews of the last novel of the Starlight and shadows trilogy at amazon. com and here's a funny quote i found:"Fyodor reminded me so much of my husband, so rageful, but yet so gentle, so I was really looking forward to seeing them get together and starting a family of their own"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/078...8788865-0293734

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Whatever you read don't do 3 things:

1)Read solely medieval fantasy, it's a bore after the odd twenty books

2)Start buying Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. That guy just likes to milk his fans. Rent or loan the books.

3)Read any books by any other Terry except Pratchett.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The Dragon Lance books are a decent read... So are many of the Forgotten Realms books (I just checked out like 15 of them at the library... It was funny, because the librarian had to give me a bag to carry them all in).

Jordan's Sword of Truth series is pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend it to people younger than 13 or so... Then again, I read it when I was 11, so... :thumbsup:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Get your facts straight. It's 'Terry Goodkind's' Sword of Truth.* :thumbsup:

*sword o'turd, as Mus? likes to say

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I give my recommendations later. I've read so much fantasy that forking through all that fluff to find the really good ones takes time.

kirottu said:

Get your facts straight. It's 'Terry Goodkind's' Sword of Truth.*  :thumbsup: 

*sword o'turd, as Mus? likes to say

:p

Oops, sorry. This one girl I know keeps getting some of Jordan's books, and I keep mixing them up...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of it, but I really liked a book I read in...I think the 10th Grade. It's called Song of Fire by Joseph Bentz.

It's a bit "holy rolly" to a certain extent, but it is a really good book and I found it hard to put down once I got into it. It's pretty well written, has well developed characters, and the crafting of the world and story line were great. Here's a link to Amazon.com for you to check it out if you're interested.

Amazon.com - "Song of Fire" by Joseph Bentz

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

I borrowed "The color of magic" from a friend to read on the train and I didnt get the point. It was apparent that the author tried to be funny, but wasnt. Its was also increadibly untight in the pacing.

...and I hate pulp-fantasy

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I borrowed "The color of magic" from a friend to read on the train and I didnt get the point. It was apparent that the author tried to be funny, but wasnt. Its was also increadibly untight in the pacing.

...and I hate pulp-fantasy

Read some of his later works as Pratchett is ,strangely enough, getting better for each book. My own favourites are about Ank-Morporks guards with Sam Vime's in the lead.

The 3 books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series are by far the best fantasy novels released the last years.

Don't like all that Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance stuff..they're all the same in my eyes. ;)

I enjoy Robert Asprin's Myth series. For that matter I enjoyed the Theives World books, which have material by him.

In the Dragonlance series, besides the original books (which I adored) I also really enjoyed the short stories books, a set of three that came out right afterwards. Tales, maybe? (My daughter's name is Silvara, and she could certainly pull off a tiny, four year old dragon.)

I love Mercedes Lackey, the Vanyel books and all the Herald books, and pretty much all her stuff. And also Anne McCaffrey.

I also love Orson Scott Card.

Are we talking high fantasy or speculative fiction in general, which includes SciFi?

I assume that by fantasy the author of this topic meant "orcs and elves and sh*t in a pseuo-medieval setting"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The original Dragonlance books, chronicles and legends are good reads. I've read some of the other books in the Dragonlance world and can't really say they're really good. The Legend of Huma is a nice read though. The War of Souls by Weis and Hickman are pretty good.

If you like humor with your fantasy, The Myth series of books, by Robert Aspirin are good too, like witchzenka said. The earlier books are better then the later ones though all are just simple fun. Good to read when you want some light easy humor.

Of course if you haven't read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, you should.

The Cleric Quintet is an ok read, but not one of my favorites.

I had been reading the War of the Spider Queen. I've read four of the six and have enjoyed myself immensly. Only one book seemed out of character at times for the Drow, book 3.

Right now I'm rereading Dune, and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. I would also say never never never never see a movie about anything Dune

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

David Lynch's "Dune" aint bad. Maybe as a filmatisation of a book but its got a really nice atmopshere.

I guess the inaccuracies wear on me pretty quickly, which is strange because I liked the LOTR movies

Plus Sting prancing around is dreadful

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.