Jade Empire Impressions

sickboycp

My dogs are scratching at the door and prancing around so I figure it's a pretty good opportunity to take a short break and post a few initial impressions through the end of the first chapter of Jade Empire.

I'll go into my two gripes first, to get them out of the way. First, I have to say I hope the game isn't this short through the whole game. If you figure there is seven chapters in the game and the first chapter took me just over three hours to complete, I'm looking at a 21 hour game, doing the sidequests that easily present themselves as I follow the main quest. I have heard the sidequests get longer as you go deeper into the game- I'll let you know as it happens.

Secondly, the camera goes schizo sometimes. During combat if you get backed into a corner, you're going to get smacked around because the cameras doesn't see through corners.

Getting away from that, I can say without hesitation, gameplay and story-wise, this is the best Bioware game I've played since BG2. The graphics really push the limit of what the Xbox is capable of. The blockyness of KOTOR is gone, as is the dull colors. Jade Empire's world is bright and beautiful. Without a doubt it is the prettiest RPG I've ever played.

Moving on, I have to say, I really like the whole No Inventory idea implemented in the game. I was unsure when I heard the only inventory items would be the Dragon Amulet gems, but given the choice between KOTOR's system and JE's, I'd go JE all the way.

The storyline has been a bit simple so far, but there have been some very intriguing hints at what is to come. I really had to tear myself away to take the dogs out and I'm kind of hurrying through this impressions to get back into it.

The characterization and voice acting is better than KOTOR so far too. Almost every character has a story and there seems to be hidden depths that I assume I'll only be able to plumb through conversation.

The morality system seems to work a little better too. I mean, there's a clear demarcation between Open Palm and Closed Fist, but it's definitely a move away from the 'Dark Side=Hooligan' approach that KOTOR took. The choices you make are about strength. It actually sort of reminded me of the way Kreia would lay things out for you in K2, and considering she was my favorite part of K2, I like it.

A final note about combat. Greg Kasavian was right that it is extremely easy to follow a pattern to beat most enemies. Fast attacks until they put up the shield, then strong attack. That pretty much deals out the death to most foes. It's more fun to mix moves and styles and flips and jumps and see how they all go together. That way, combat became less repetitive and there are so many ways to put together moves and attacks to create almost fighting-game style combos. Besides, as a Wuxia fanboy, I take a perverse joy in doing a whole bunch of flips and jumps and doing my best 'badly-dubbed taunts' voice while dishing out the hurt that so far, combat has been fun.

I think my final score will definitely depend on the length, because right now, this is looking like it's going to be definitely too short, but if I can get 35 hours out of it, it may replace Arcanum as my thrid favorite RPG of all time.

Well, I'm getting back to the game. I'll give everyone some more later.

I've read from some reviews that you can complete the game within 16-17 hours, sidequests included. It seems like Bioware got the story, graphics and sound correctly, but failed at character customization, inventory and length.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I've read from some reviews that you can complete the game within 16-17 hours, sidequests included. It seems like Bioware got the story, graphics and sound correctly, but failed at character customization, inventory and length.

you know, people also talks 'bout how they completed kotor in 12 hours or some similar figure. Gromnir tooks 40+ hours to play kotor, and is not like we got arthritis or is a quadriplegic that gotta use our mouth and a long straw to prod the controller... am not sure how folks can complain

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, my friend loaned KotOR from me and returned it after two days. He said it took aboit 15 hours to finish. Some people are just too darn quick about it.

ermhh... you could take that the wrong way

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

you know, people also talks 'bout how they completed kotor in 12 hours or some similar figure. Gromnir tooks 40+ hours to play kotor, and is not like we got arthritis or is a quadriplegic that gotta use our mouth and a long straw to prod the controller... am not sure how folks can complain

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Considering that there is no inventory, how can they have failed with it? I personally think it sounds like a great choice, not every RPG needs to be about micromanaging equipment.

That's a personal opinion. I like foddle around with my equipment, letting the game doint it for me takes away some of the role-playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

KotOR took almost exactly 30 hours to get through for me, and I solved every side-quest I could find plus I'm an explorer type, so I got to see everything in the world the game had to offer during those 30 hours. I later tried to play it again, doing the dark-side, but the game didn't change enough between dark-light for it to be fun again.

Every review I've read about Jade Empire so far has mentioned that it's a bit on the short side. To me, that means one of two things: either the game really is too short or it's so good that no matter how long it is, people still want more.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Microsoft Game Studios announced today that BioWare's action-RPG game Jade Empire has punched into North American retail outlets and is now available for an estimated price of $49.95 (U.S.). Jade Empire will be available in Europe starting on April 22.

Jade Empire players will find a rich world, deep story and incredible variety of fighting styles awaiting them. Over the course of the game, players can learn dozens of fighting styles including martial arts styles, magic styles and weapon styles. Players can achieve devastating mystical powers and even transform into towering supernatural monsters. Only by mastering the greatest fighting styles and defeating the most powerful enemies will players earn their place as a master of martial arts in the world of Jade Empire.

In addition to combat, Jade Empire will mesmerize players with a story richly inspired by the myths and legends of ancient China. More than 70 different voice actors lent their talents to the more than 17,000 lines of dialogue in the game. To complement the game's depth and attention to detail, BioWare captured the motions of real martial arts champions to animate the game's characters. The finished product fuses all of these elements and more into a thrilling gameplay experience that is sure to capture Xbox gamers in its powerful magical spell.

"Every review I've read about Jade Empire so far has mentioned that it's a bit on the short side. To me, that means one of two things: either the game really is too short or it's so good that no matter how long it is, people still want more."

Well, I think it's obvious to most that no matter JE's actual quality; it is likely to be on the short end when compared to other RPGs. That's pretty much been consistent with all the reviews since the ranges are 18-25 with out doing all the sidequests. Of course, consideirng that BIo has said that the game was 20-40 hours depending what you do, and how much you rush through; this isn't too surprising.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm not sure why the length of JE is such a big deal. A lot of RPGs nowadays are short in length, such as both KOTOR I and II and Bloodlines. I've played all 3 and can't say it took me more than between 25 to 35 hours to complete each, and that's doing every sidequest imagineable, as well as just "exploring" the various cities/worlds. So it's not like JE is breaking the recent trend or something.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I have it now as well as an x-box (the one I was borrowing it from decided to sell for a cheap $80). wowsers!

I'm barely into it; but I can comment some on the combat. All I can say, is the combat is completely and utterly different than anything BIO has done before. Unlike KOTOR however; the combat is anything but repetive, crappy, or boring. And, if you just constantly click one button you will not get far. Period. And, don't go spamming your chi and focus. That's a big o.o. I've had maybe 2 fights, and the combat is alreayd better than KOTOR's. Of course, that can change if the combat is as repetive as GS says. We shall see...

And, I can't believe how intuitive the controls are for this game. Impressive indeed.

Volourn = JE Empire combat fanboy = Anyone who Prefers KOTOR combat over JE = does not know what good combat is.

The only chance that KOTOR has to be better than JE is if JE's story turns out to be crap...

New blood joins this earth,

And quickly he's subdued.

Through constant pain; disgrace,

The young boy learns their rules.

With time the child draws in,

This whipping boy done wrong.

Deprived of all his thoughts,

The young man struggles on, and on he's known.

A vow unto his own,

That never from this day,

His will they'll take away.

What I've felt,

What I've known,

Never shined through in what I've shown.

Never be,

Never see,

Won't see what might have been.

What I've felt,

What I've known,

Never free,

Never me,

So I dub thee unforgiven.

They dedicate their lives,

To running all of his.

He tries to please them all,

This bitter man he is.

Throughout his life the same,

He's battled constantly,

This fight he cannot win.

A tired man they see no longer cares.

The old man then prepares,

To die regretfully.

That old man here is me.

What I've felt,

What I've known,

Never be,

Never see,

What I've felt,

What I've known,

Never free,

Never me,

What I've felt,

What I've known,

Never be,

Never see,

What I've felt,

What I've known,

Never free,

Never me,

Never free,

Never me,

You labeled me,

I'll label you.

So I dub the unforgiven.

Never free,

Never me,

You labeled me,

I'll label you.

So I dub the unforgiven.

drakron.png

I have it now as well as an x-box (the one I was borrowing it from decided to sell for a cheap $80). wowsers!

I'm barely into it; but I can comment some on the combat. All I can say, is the combat is completely and utterly different than anything BIO has done before. Unlike KOTOR however; the combat is anything but repetive, crappy, or boring. And, if you just constantly click one button you will not get far. Period. And, don't go spamming your chi and focus. That's a big o.o. I've had maybe 2 fights, and the combat is alreayd better than KOTOR's. Of course, that can change if the combat is as repetive as GS says. We shall see...

And, I can't believe how intuitive the controls are for this game. Impressive indeed.

Volourn = JE Empire combat fanboy = Anyone who Prefers KOTOR combat over JE = does not know what good combat is.

The only chance that KOTOR has to be better than JE is if JE's story turns out to be crap...

I'm back. And I have to say I totally agree with Volourn. This game outshines KOTOR in every way. And not just because I'm a Wuxia fanboy (btw, JE has blown the last of my entertainment budget for the month, so now I can't get the House of Flying Daggers DVD :) I still think it will be worth it though.)

The game beats KOTOR graphically, in terms of inventory management, combat-wise and strength of storyline. The lack of customization doesn't really bother me (PST had even less customization) and it is true that the subquests in later chapters greatly expand the game length. It's still not going to be $1=1 hr of gametime, but I reckon I should get about 28 hours out of my first gameplay. And considering my first runs on KOTOR and K2, that sounds about right to me.

EDIT: Finished a random thought I had there.

Yeah. I'd rate the game around 85-90% myself. there are couple of semi major fualts I ahve with the game. Of course, my rating system is very harsh unlike GS. Je might very well be the 5th game to deserve a 90% from me if the story holds up and the combat continues to kick behind.

:-:):)

"Is the enemy AI decent?"

Decent? Yes. great or the "best"? At this time; I'm not sure. The AI will back off a bit if you are battering them and allow an ally of thiers to block your path items. They'll block, use speical attacks as well if they can. No really out there special attcaks except 2 of the main bosses though have lots of tricks up their sleeves.

"Character development any good?"

See my other thread. My answer is yes. It may not be as deep as say a NWN, TOEE, or FO; but it's pretty darn good in its own right. Of course, it lacks the non combat skills of more traditional RPGs other than its three conversations skills which *do* matter.

"Deep story?"

After finishing chapter 1, the story is not amjor breakthrough in story telling; but it holds it own. It reminds me kinda of BG1; but with its own twists. As for depth; I'll have to wait a bit for that comment.