Well, it looks like it totally blows.

Child of Flame

Well, what an interesting review. I only read the non-spoilers version, as I'm looking forward to the movie a lot.

He complains that a lot of material has been cut to make the movie. That happens with every movie based on a book. Otherwise it would be four hours long.

He's unhappy that the most memorable lines aren't there. Well, I would be unhappy if there was nothing in the movie that I hadn't already read or heard before. And the Hitchhiker's Guide changed with every incarnation, from the original radio series to the books to the TV series to the game. None of these is 'canon' - Douglas Adams was far too smart to use such a thing.

Alas, when he says the dialogue isn't up to Adams' standards, he may be right. Unfortunately, Douglas Adams is dead and therefore unavailable to work on the script. So why hold the film up to a standard it has no hope of reaching?

Having said all that, the film may indeed be crap, or it may be great. I think I'll go see it for myself.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, what an interesting review.  I only read the non-spoilers version, as I'm looking forward to the movie a lot.

He complains that a lot of material has been cut to make the movie.  That happens with every  movie based on a book.  Otherwise it would be four hours long.

He's unhappy that the most memorable lines aren't there.  Well, I would be unhappy if there was nothing in the movie that I hadn't already read or heard before.  And the Hitchhiker's Guide changed with every incarnation, from the original radio series to the books to the TV series to the game.  None of these is 'canon' - Douglas Adams was far too smart to use such a thing.

Alas, when he says the dialogue isn't up to Adams' standards, he may be right.  Unfortunately, Douglas Adams is dead and therefore unavailable to work on the script.  So why hold the film up to a standard it has no hope of reaching?

Having said all that, the film may indeed be crap, or it may be great.  I think I'll go see it for myself.

Well, there's also the list of things that aren't in the film, and quite honestly the Spoilered version paints a much more dire picture. This makes me sad. I'd probably see Revenge of the Sith over this.

I'll go see it, but only because I don't have to pay for it. And I won't stay for all of it if it's crap, which unfortunately, I think it will be. A shame. Cuts are inevitable, but to cut so much good stuff and leave in what it seems will fall flat...A shame.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

He complains that a lot of material has been cut to make the movie.  That happens with every  movie based on a book.  Otherwise it would be four hours long.

try more like a 100 hours... or more. so much is going on that capturing the true essence of the book on film is impossible.

i get a kick out of all the "fans" that are griping about "how much this movie will suck!" it MUST suck, simply because it's not the same? what would be the point of seeing a movie that is identical in every way to the book from which it came? get real...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Thank god I never was a fan. Can go open-minded to the theatre and just enjoy the movie without caring for it's downsides.

I remember me going to watch The Return of the King after reading some freudist's take on the supposed symbolism of the movie. Shelob's Lair, the erupting Mount Doom and the reforged Narsil -scene all were really interesting after that. Not to mention the Frodo/Sam-jokes I heard while watching. :lol:"

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

By hades, people actually had a freudish approach to RoTK? What was their take on the constant ring swapping between Sam and Frodo then? ^_^

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Pretty obvious, I guess ;)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Dont complain b4 you've seen the film. I understand it wont be like the book the same way the book wasnt like the radio or TV series, the point is that adams worked on the script until his death so some if not all the chnages can be attributed to him since he was adapting it for film. Anyway making it exactly like the book is nigh impossible - the boook is pure genius, its impossibe to put all of it into around 2 hours.

Sam and frod in RoTK? very gay, especially towards the end. I havent seen the longer version - does it have like a full on love scene between them? It wouldnt look out of place.