Widescreen Monitors

For everyone running the game on a widescreen monitor, it's possible to foce it to run at widescreen resolutions. To do it, open swkotor2.ini and edit the width and height entries under graphics options (eg for 1280x768 width=1280 height=768).

Enjoy!

For everyone running the game on a widescreen monitor, it's possible to foce it to run at widescreen resolutions.  To do it, open swkotor2.ini and edit the width and height entries under graphics options (eg for 1280x768 width=1280 height=768).

Enjoy!

I'd really like to know how you got yours to do this, as mine refuses every time I try. Here's what I'm using for hardware:

- Samsung 61" DLP Monitor (supports 1280x720)

- Radeon x800 XT Video Card

- DVI Cable for Card-to-Monitor display

- ATI Driver version 6.14.10.6525 (Catalyst 5.4)

No matter *what* resolution I put in the ini, it always reverts the game resolution when playing to 800x600. The setup program for Kotor2 also only reports 800x600 as being available. And believe me, 800x600 on this size display sucks! It's kinda sad that today's latest games don't have support for the widescreen displays.

Would really appreciate anyone who could assist me in getting this fixed. <_<

For everyone running the game on a widescreen monitor, it's possible to foce it to run at widescreen resolutions.  To do it, open swkotor2.ini and edit the width and height entries under graphics options (eg for 1280x768 width=1280 height=768).

Enjoy!

I'd really like to know how you got yours to do this, as mine refuses every time I try. Here's what I'm using for hardware:

- Samsung 61" DLP Monitor (supports 1280x720)

- Radeon x800 XT Video Card

- DVI Cable for Card-to-Monitor display

- ATI Driver version 6.14.10.6525 (Catalyst 5.4)

No matter *what* resolution I put in the ini, it always reverts the game resolution when playing to 800x600. The setup program for Kotor2 also only reports 800x600 as being available. And believe me, 800x600 on this size display sucks! It's kinda sad that today's latest games don't have support for the widescreen displays.

Would really appreciate anyone who could assist me in getting this fixed. <_<

Can't you change it under Graphic Options in the game, then? I have by default Widescreen-resolutions available without any tweaking needed to be done.

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

can they allow me to play at 2048x1280 ????

thats all I want, I would pay them to add that res to the options, or atleast something higher than 1600x1200

Dream on.

They haven't even coded the executable to be able to read the max refresh rate windows DCC reports for monitors like most modern games do, I.E. it is not locked to just 60, 75 and 85 MHz; It will read whatever your monitor is capable of handling at a given resolution going as high as 100 MHz to 200 MHz if your hardware is capable.

Can't you change it under Graphic Options in the game, then? I have by default Widescreen-resolutions available without any tweaking needed to be done.

Nope. The only resolution available to me is 800x600. I've tried forcing 1280x720, detecting hardware... you name it. Nothing works to get it into a higher resolution. My current thoughts: piece of crap video interface they built into the game. Is it the fact I'm using an ATI video card? Is it the fact I'm using a DVI cable instead of a 15-Pin? Hell if I know, all I know is the game looks like crap - it's pixely and stretched.

It would be one thing if it actually used what resolution you put into the .ini, but it isn't.

It would be one thing if it actually used what resolution you put into the .ini, but it isn't.

This is what I was talking about above.

The game has locked resolutions and refresh rates.

What is funny is that just like KOTOR I, pre-patch, you can't even go below 800x600 to something like 640x480, if you wanted to display the game on a TV screen like the original XBox version. This is really ironic considering this is a port of an XBox game that is supposed to be played on a TV screen to begin with...

can they allow me to play at 2048x1280 ????

thats all I want, I would pay them to add that res to the options, or atleast something higher than 1600x1200

Dream on.

They haven't even coded the executable to be able to read the max refresh rate windows DCC reports for monitors like most modern games do, I.E. it is not locked to just 60, 75 and 85 MHz; It will read whatever your monitor is capable of handling at a given resolution going as high as 100 MHz to 200 MHz if your hardware is capable.

:-

oh yeah it's defiantelly "capable"

my monitor res specs:

GDM-FW900

Horiz. max: 30 to 121 kHz

Vert. max: 48 to 160 Hz

Presets:

VGA-G 640 x 480/60 Hz

VGA-Text 720 x 400/70 Hz

ESVGA 800 x 600/75 Hz

VESA 1024 x 768/85 Hz

VESA 1152 x 864/85 Hz

VESA 1280 x 1024/85 Hz

VESA 1600 x 1024/60 Hz

VESA 1600 x 1024/75 Hz

VESA 1600 x 1024/85 Hz

VESA 1600 x 1200/85 Hz

VESA 1920 x 1080/60 Hz

MAC-G4 1920 x 1080/72 Hz

VESA 1920 x 1080/75 Hz

VESA 1920 x 1080/85 Hz

VESA 1920 x 1200/60 Hz

VESA 1920 x 1200/75 Hz

VESA 1920 x 1200/85 Hz

VESA 2048 x 1280/60 Hz

VESA 2048 x 1280/75 Hz

VESA 2048 x 1280/85 Hz

VESA 2048 x 1536/75 Hz

VESA 2304 x 1440/60 Hz

VESA 2304 x 1440/75 Hz

VESA 2304 x 1440/80 Hz

W900 1600 x 1024/76 Hz

GWM-3000 1920 x 1080/72 Hz

my g-card'll only do up to 2048x1280x85 (lol, I wouldn't of asked if I didn't know it could do it)

:(

Nope. The only resolution available to me is 800x600. I've tried forcing 1280x720, detecting hardware... you name it. Nothing works to get it into a higher resolution. My current thoughts: piece of crap video interface they built into the game. Is it the fact I'm using an ATI video card? Is it the fact I'm using a DVI cable instead of a 15-Pin? Hell if I know, all I know is the game looks like crap - it's pixely and stretched.

The fact that you are using an ATi-card has nothing to do with it. I'm using one too and have plenty of resolution-options available to me. I don't think that using a DVi-Cable should have anything to do with it all, either but considering how computers like to function everything is possible.

If you have the chance, try using the "regular" 15-pin cable or a regular monitor and see if you still have the same problems.

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Pretty sure this game, like any other, uses standard directX resolution restrictions.

It's MS that made it tough to set custom resolutions like that, not the devs. But it is possible, it just takes some forcing. There set up to use standard resolutions and 75 or 85hz refresh rate, regardless of what is supported... But you can fix that.

First off, you have to actualy have that resolution available and working in windows, at a standard vesa complient refresh rate, ie 60hz, 75hz, 85hz, etc.

The latest ati/nvidia driver have many such resolutions pre programmed, like HDTV widescreen 720p 1280x720. Shouldn't use 768, unless that is your native rez, mostly lcd's do this, not DLP.

Then your monitor driver also has to support it. Generaly, they do not. So you have to make a custom one.. Download powerstrip, it has a function to detect EDID/DDC data, set up a driver inf and install it.

After that you may want above 60hz, to do that, get Refreshforce.. Google it, great app, run it once, it removed low refresh rates, preventing them from being used at all.

BTW Xbox actualy has built in support for HDTV 480p,720p,1080i resolutions. Not sure what the game supports, but most do 720p. So if you must have it looking nice on your TV, the xbox version may not be a bad idea. You do need the correct adapter tho.

I have this problem too. when I try to force the game to run in widescreen resolution (my monitor supports up to 1280x800) it reverts to 800x600 when the game loads. and I dont have the option to select anything but 800x600 and 1024x768 ingame, at some ridiculously low refresh rate (60, when my monitor supports up to 85 I think). Someone said that all capable windows resolutions should be displayed, but only those two are

Someone said that all capable windows resolutions should be displayed, but only those two are

I said they are NOT being displayed correctly.

The only way of doing this is to hack the executable (swkotor2.exe) at certain registry entries in order for it to read the DCC/EDID data. The devs should do this for the next patch as it can't be that hard (one poster showed me how to do it with the v1.0 exe, so I could run 1024x768 at 100 MHz and not 85Hz).

Also...

You don't really need Refresh Force. You can override the 60 Hz a couple of different ways:

1) DX Dialogue

2) Monitor settings (both ATI and Nvidia)

3) Most games do what we are talking about and read regular DCC info. and automatically return the correct refresh rate for a given resolution and you just select it in-game, or through an .ini file like Unreal Engine games.

If you have the chance, try using the "regular" 15-pin cable or a regular monitor and see if you still have the same problems.

Tried that one, that was my first "quick n easy" try at a solution. It made no difference at all.

Sarin:

There is no monitor driver for the Samsung 61" DLP, as it's a TV display with excellent PC support. I'll have to try downloading Powerstrip and doing the suggested inf file creation. Windows seems to support and display the 720p resolution (1280x720) just fine, from 60hz to 85hz. Doubt I'm about to go and try to hack the executable... it should have been included in one of the patches post-release. What would it take a programmer in terms of time to do it for non-standard resolutions, 60 minutes? /flail

I'm beginning to think that buying sequels, no matter how good the first was or who did it, is a bad idea. KOTOR was a masterpiece, worked flawlessly and was one of the best games I've ever owned. KOTOR2 is falling FAR short of even the original, despite having an intricate storyline. Mostly it's the interface that I have issues with, namely graphics.

It's unfortunate that people try to capitalize on a good thing by copying it, and not improving on it substantially. :thumbsup: I'm about ready to call tech support on KOTOR2 and let them deal with trying to fix it. This is nuts - I own a computer that overall cost more than $7,000 US, and a new game runs on it at a resolution that was available on PCs ten or more years ago.

Sarin,

Thank you for the tip about creating a custom .inf monitor file. That at least got me up to playing at 1024x768, even if the resolution still isn't what the monitor is capable of, it looks less pixelated. It would be nice if the game didn't require you to run on a "standard" resolution, and allowed things like 720p and 1080i/1080p which today's HDTV monitors are capable of.

I foresee a lot of people doing what I did - purchasing a monitor that doubles as a HDTV set. Huge size, good resolution and usability. Unfortunately the standardization in drivers is causing issues - game companies should be aware of this and adjust accordingly, in my opinion.

A fishystick to the person that comes up with a way to get KOTOR2 running in 1280x720. :thumbsup: