Revan, The Exile, or a newbie

bubblyofart

If there ever is a KOTOR 3, who would you want to be the PC?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. If there ever is a KOTOR 3, who would you want to be the PC?

• Revan
    • Exile

It's not about polygon counts. (sure, higher resolution graphics is a "nice to have", and more involved combat is probably a strong attractor for the target market too, but the real deal of an RPG is the narrative.

Let's not get a retread of the same couple of tried-and-true stories; let's have a brilliant, breathtaking substantial story that involves the leit-motif in a dilemma, a microcosm in keeping with the Big Picture.

Any effort added to the writing, IMO, will pay back more than the same deminishing returns on graphics.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Stories tend to be highly subjective. Graphics on the other hand, your on much sturdier ground with those. Stories dont have the same imediate impact that a 30 second wow burst has either.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm not sure if you are arguing FOR better graphics because you don't want more / commensurate effort invested in writing, or you are just being cynical about the motivations of RPG publishers generally! :)

In other words, what would you PREFER to see, better graphics or a more memorable story?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

In other words, what would you PREFER to see, better graphics or a more memorable story?

I dont see any reason why one would preclude the other. It's highly unlikely the same person would be responsible for both in the workload.

From the point of trying to sell the game. Graphics all the way. I prefer to call myself a realist rather than a cynic :)"

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I dont see any reason why one would preclude the other. It's highly unlikely the same person would be responsible for both in the workload.

From the point of trying to sell the game. Graphics all the way. I prefer to call myself a realist rather than a cynic :)"

that's quite an optimistic self-image you have there ...

I don't see sophistication of graphics and narration as being mutually exclusive, either; but realistically there is only so much budget to share around the development costs, and I personally feel that writing delivers more bang-for-buck than special effects. I am still happy to watch films from nearly a hundred years ago, from the very earliest stage of film, so long as they have a compelling narrative and good acting.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't see sophistication of graphics and narration as being mutually exclusive, either; but realistically there is only so much budget to share around the development costs, and I personally feel that writing delivers more bang-for-buck than special effects. I am still happy to watch films from nearly a hundred years ago, from the very earliest stage of film, so long as they have a compelling narrative and good acting.

Somehow I dont see a game with ZX spectrum graphics being a chartstormer, even if it has the best story ever writen buried in there somewhere.

478327[/snapback]

There are games out there that have a compelling story and great graphics, for instance Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (and considering its an action game their not really known for the story), or even way back to the time of Grim Fandango (when LucasArts was churning out decent games) and that didn't exactly ave the greatest graphics but still sold millions more or less.

Spielberg has mixed feelings about the effects of digital technology, however. "I'm as guilty as anyone, because I helped herald the digital era with Jurassic Park," he says. "But the danger is it can be abused to the point where nothing is eye-popping any more. The difference between making Jaws 31 years ago and War of the Worlds is that today, anything I can imagine, I can realise on film. Then, when my mechanical shark was being repaired and I had to shoot something, I had to make the water scary. I relied on the audience's imagination, aided by where I put the camera.

"Today it would be a digital shark. It would cost a hell of a lot more, but never break down. As a result, I probably would have used it four times as much, which would have made the film four times less scary. Jaws is scary because of what you don't see, not because of what you do. We need to bring the audience back into partnership with the storytelling."

Steven Spielberg, The Sunday Times Culture Magazine, Jun 19. 2005, p6.

My emphasis; see even the director of the film that started the Summer Scary Blockbuster agrees that whiz-bang graphics and digital effects play second fiddle to good writing.

:)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Signs was scary because of off-camera action as well. Some people are getting back down to classic tension building techniques that Hitchc0ck used so well years ago.

Spielburg apparently uses this quite well in War of the Worlds. We don't get a whole buch of wide angle huge shots of galactic badness, despite what the trailer shows.

Most of the film is supposed to shoot fairly close to the main characters. We experience terror through their eyes.

I'm not sure how successful that would be in a game. Unless you simply railroad the character along your path maintaining tension while at the same time allowing choice dosnt seem to equate to the movie model where you can wrap the story around the desired effect and not have you actor go off and do something else which totally ruins the moment.

478327[/snapback]

I'm not sure how successful that would be in a game. Unless you simply railroad the character along your path maintaining tension while at the same time allowing choice dosnt seem to equate to the movie model where you can wrap the story around the desired effect and not have you actor go off and do something else which totally ruins the moment.

I don't follow you.

How is a film, based on a protagonist, different from a video game, based on a protagonist? Surely the same tactics are relevant; a game is just interactive. :(

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"Just interactive"? :( The very nature of interactivity disrupts temporal sequences, for one thing, which makes sustained levels of tension difficult.

The idea of using the camera to show you the protagonist's reaction, rather than what the protagonist herself sees, might be difficult to make work in a game. As a player, you control both the protatonist and usually the camera, except in cut-scenes.

An unseen and unidentifiable enemy could work I guess, and build a sense of tension, maybe. In Planescape: Torment there were times when I felt my enemy was my previous incarnation, as time after time I came across the aftermath of his actions. It was engrossing, certainly - though I'm not sure it was ever 'tense' as such.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

"Just interactive"? :p The very nature of interactivity disrupts temporal sequences, for one thing, which makes sustained levels of tension difficult.

... because a game of centipede or space invaders or Mario Kart or Sonic the Hedgehog -- or whatever -- isn't tense?

:(

Nope, I don't buy that. You've got a powerful computer controlling the game; it can utilize such novel and cutting edge technology as a countdown timer Time-specific goals can be managed, just like geographic ones.

Sure the audience is able to alter the flow of events, but that is a two-edged sword, because now they are responsible for them!

:rolleyes:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This is my 2 cent.

Opening Scene:

In a Prison Court Yard, Two people are being beaten senseless By several Sith and Dark Jedi.

You see your Friend getting killed infront you. You are hearing Traitor, Murderer Chanting in the background. Then you fall unconscience.

When you wake up, you are hearing two Sith Maruders Talking about The Prisoner that is the Supposed Dark Lord of the Sith during the Jedi Civil War and what they should do with The Prisoner.

During this time, you have been tortured and drugged many times and you are in no state to attempt a escape on your own.

An Old person wakes you up and uses the Force to detoxic you.

Well That person tells you what happen to your Friend. From There you and the old person plan an escape from the prison.

The Old person will get killed during the escape.

You will complete Your Mission in Greater Sith Empire. You realize that you need allies to defeat the Sith Empire. So you return Republic Space and get some Allies.

.. You see your Friend getting killed infront you. ...

You will complete Your Mission in Greater Sith Empire.  You realize that you need allies to defeat the Sith Empire. So you return Republic Space and get some Allies.

... with a chainsaw? ScarFace? :p

I do like the idea of fighting an underground war, like the French / Dutch resistence during WW2, etc, or the last half of Deus Ex.

:(

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

With my idea, you will have to raise an army before The Sith Empire can attack the Republic.

Also before you return to the Republic you have to get as much as Info on the Sith Empire.

IF you think Kotor 2 is dark, if I have my way Kotor 3 will unbelieveablely Dark.

Revan will be the PC again. He will lose his levels because of his imprisonment and torture at the hands of the Sith Empire.

We will learn about the Techique with NO Defense more indepth than what we learn from Kreia/Traya and IT will be uses on Revan in the beginning of the Game during the Torture scene. The Torture Scene will be the most graphic in a Star Wars game ever.

We will see the Exile's Death near the near of the End when he begs Darth Nihilus to kill him.

The Sith Empire will capture the Exile also and made him into a Walking Time Bomb.

This Time Bomb is of the Force and Longer the Exile lives the more powerful the Time Bomb is.

Because it does uses the "special" ablity aka Wound of the Exile against the Exile.

Revan will Remove the Nihilus from the Exile body. ( I am taking part if the Exile takes the Mask of Nihilus).

Nihilus will become a Floating Mask and he will be at Lvl 1 gameplay wise.

Appearance wise Nihilus will look even more like a Ghost.

Cape Cowl and a Floating Mask will Nihilus be.

I think it should be some guy with no records no one knows his name and the republic seem to be hiding something from him although he appears to have a connection to a dark lord or something like that either way i think that the game should not dwell on his past but on the future and the present we want some way of avoiding his past.

A good place to start the game would possibly be a crashed or crashing sith ship either way you need to escape. Shot down by Mandalorians?

But i think that the exile should already be dead because we did not see him get off Malachor V but this could mean we find him again as a dark or light Jedi.

Revan should be (if he is alive) on hoth or somewhere on the outer rim but hoth would be a good place.

Teenage fantasies? No thank you.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds