Revan, The Exile, or a newbie

bubblyofart

If there ever is a KOTOR 3, who would you want to be the PC?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. If there ever is a KOTOR 3, who would you want to be the PC?

• Revan
    • Exile

The Exile Story needs a conclusion, therefore The Exile shall be the PC i KOTOR3. But I also like the idea of having both Revan and The Exile as PC's. First half: The Exile. Finishing half: Revan. Easy enough. But what's Exile gonna do in the endgame, then?

im new to the forum and this is my first post and i just wanted to tell my opinion on this. i liked the exile and especialy revan but i would prefer the idea of a newbie who would come across them and their stories. i dot like the idea of a mind washed begining but maybe we could begin as a jedi padawan who beigins his path, maybe we could even start as a kid(that would surely be something new) and then grow up as jedi usally start their training pretty soon.

I agree with Steve, the only requirement is a cogent story written by a talented team that I can identify with and care about. The protagonist is not so important.

I don't see much more to be explored in Revan, though there is a plot left dangling and I'd be happy to play that at least in part (see below). And I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop with the Exile, though as that story was (to me) so poor in helping me empathise and care about the characters, I don't really mind if I only hear about the Exile in a bar room conversation.

It is possible that there might be a multiple-aspect plot, where we play more that one PC diring the game. This has been done a few times with varing degrees of success (even in KotOR2, with the Dxun temple). it can easily fall flat if not handled properly (Lara Croft and the Angel of Darkness).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I agree with Steve, the only requirement is a cogent story written by a telented team that I can identify with and care about. The protagonist is not so important.

I don't see much more to be explored in Revan, though there is a plot left dangling and I'd be happy to play that at least in part (see below). And I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop with the Exile, though as that story was (to me) so poor in helping me empathise and care about the characters, I don't really mind if I only hear about the Exile in a bar room conversation.

It is possible that there might be a multiple-aspect plot, where we play more that one PC diring the game. This has been done a few times with varing degrees of success (even in KotOR2, with the Dxun temple). it can easily fall flat if not handled properly (Lara Croft and the Angel of Darkness).

The fact of identifying with your character is the most important part in a RPG!!! That's why I don't realy like tha idea of playing more than on PC. It's OK to do it like it was done in TSL, controlling companions in little extra missions, but the conversations, if there are any, should be dtermined by the attitudes of the character (=>no dialogue options). You just can't controll what people around you think, and that's what makes for surprises!!!

And I have to repeat: we NEED a newbie if we want a surprising story with new aspects!!!

im new to the forum and this is my first post and i just wanted to tell my opinion on this. i liked the exile and especialy revan but i would prefer the idea of a newbie who would come across them and their stories. i dot like the idea of a mind washed begining but maybe we could begin as a jedi padawan who beigins his path, maybe we could even start as a kid(that would surely be something new) and then grow up as jedi usally start their training pretty soon.

That's kind of what I'm talking about. Something new and different, that hasn't been done before!!! :shifty:

A new PC would probably be required for KOTOR. But not necessarily a newbie? Perhaps Bastilla gets tired of waiting, takes back the Ebon Hawk or some other ship and heads out and looks for Revan.

Perhaps not I'm just blowing ideas out of my ass.

I just wouldn't mind playing Revan in his original uniform :D

I just wouldn't mind playing Revan in his original uniform :D

Get the PC version :D

Darth Revan Robes replacement:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/7685/

Revan Redemption Robes(Blue, or Star Forge Robe colors, for lightside)

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy2/xclone_0101/images/rrr.rar

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And another thing that seems to have escaped everyone's notice:

The reason Revan has disapeared beyond known space to the Outer Rim, apparently searching for some mythical "True Sith" that no-one even knows exist, is merely because Revan wasn't the protagonist of K2.

That's it.

Obsidian had to put Revan beyond use, hence the cover story. They had to provide a plausible reason why your beloved character from K1 was nowhere to be seen, because Revan didn't feature at all in the sequel. Pure logistics, not some conspiratorial or machiavellian super plot.

It would be more likely that any further sequel would be set in the same KotOR galaxy, with others invading / returning, than an out-of-galaxy setting.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And another thing that seems tohave escaped everyone's notice:

The reason Revan has disapeared beyond known space to the Outer Rim, apparently searching for some mythical "True Sith" that no-one even knows exist, is merely because Revan wasn't the protagonist of K2.

That's it.

Obsidian had to put Revan beyond use, hence the cover story. They had to provide a plausible reason why your beloved character from K1 was nowhere to be seen, because Revan didn't feature at all in the sequel. Pure logistics, not some conspiratorial or machiavellian super plot.

It would be more likely that any further sequel would be set in the same KotOR galaxy, with others invading / returning, than an out-of-galaxy setting.

Exactly! Revan is the all-purpose Shadowy Plot Device like Robin Masters in Magnum P.I. or Charlie from Charlie's Angels. He is nothing more than that at this point.

Sure, Revan as well as the Exile were sent to some far away place to be taken out of the game with some reason behind it. But it would still be an elegant way to tie the previous, well designed plots, and the future plot together. Using elements, like the "true sith" and the former PCs, that are left undetermined would make an interesting story, especially for continuing players.

And another thing that seems tohave escaped everyone's notice:

That's it.

I don't quite agree.

Yes, Revan was left out because he wasn't the protagonist, but the true Sith are not unknown - the Republic has fought the Sith Empire before, although it has been more than a thousand years since then.

And saying that Revan just isn't the protagonist doesn't quite explain it. Revan is still out there, but his function in KotOR2 is to serve as a set-up for the coming conflict with the true Sith so that the Exile will follow and join him in that strugge no matter which side of the force either of them ended up on. That was the point of leaving Revan out of the story - to void the consequence of the choice between light or dark side for either character by the time the third game begins, so that the same story will serve either ending.

That a manipulation of the story, yes, but it was done very skillfully and it was told well, so I do accept it. It may be forced, but it didn't throw away the credibility of the evolving plot. That's fairly important.

I'm not sure if it actually was planed like that, but I would certainly like to see the storyline for the next game pick up that possibility.

Sending characters off to places that don't appear is simply the best way to take them out of the story. It was done like that for both movies as well as games before and mostly it was done because a new character was introduced. (I actually can't remember it being done because of any other reason)

And another thing that seems to have escaped everyone's notice:

That's it.

I don't quite agree.

Yes, Revan was left out because he wasn't the protagonist, but the true Sith are not unknown - the Republic has fought the Sith Empire before, although it has been more than a thousand years since then.

And saying that Revan just isn't the protagonist doesn't quite explain it. Revan is still out there, but his function in KotOR2 is to serve as a set-up for the coming conflict with the true Sith so that the Exile will follow and join him in that strugge no matter which side of the force either of them ended up on. That was the point of leaving Revan out of the story - to void the consequence of the choice between light or dark side for either character by the time the third game begins, so that the same story will serve either ending.

That a manipulation of the story, yes, but it was done very skillfully and it was told well, so I do accept it. It may be forced, but it didn't throw away the credibility of the evolving plot. That's fairly important.

You are thinking like there is some overseer for the both (all) the KotOR games; unfortunately I think that is a very small probability.

I agree that the absense of Revan had a minimal impact on KotOR2. I disagree that this was for any other reason that to start KotOR2 with a new first-level character.

As to the future, should another game be made, the third developer is free to either repeat the process (and start with another new first level character), or pick up any of the dangling plots, including the "True Sith".

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

As to the future, should another game be made, the third developer is free to either repeat the process (and start with another new first level character), or pick up any of the dangling plots, including the "True Sith".

I don't know. I think they pretty much painted themselves into a corner with KOTOR II. If KOTOR III is not about wrapping up the True Sith as a threat, then that will come across as really cheap. They need to make KOTOR III an epic, trilogy-ender.

Revan should be involved but as a plot device and not a playable character, IMO.

The Exile should take over the role of Master Vrook and become the primary gathering point (other than yourself) of Force Sensitives who will be fighting the True Sith. The Exile could be playable as part of a multi-threaded endgame.

I don't know. I think they pretty much painted themselves into a corner with KOTOR II. If KOTOR III is not about wrapping up the True Sith as a threat, then that will come across as really cheap. They need to make KOTOR III an epic, trilogy-ender.

Revan should be involved but as a plot device and not a playable character, IMO.

The Exile should take over the role of Master Vrook and become the primary gathering point (other than yourself) of Force Sensitives who will be fighting the True Sith. The Exile could be playable as part of a multi-threaded endgame.

I honestly think that the Sith Lord or at least one of them in K3 will be Naga Sadow. He is of true sith species and is in suspended animation in Yavin 4( according to the chronicles in www.kotor2.com). Thats why his tomb in Korribban is vacant. The main character wll merely put him back to his final resting place :thumbsup:

Is anyone else annoyed that the exile is only called "exile".

Seems a bit strange to me.

Oh well, thats what you get by choosing your own name.....

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

• 2 weeks later...

I think that there should be a "new kid on the block", but I think we should get to interact with Revan and the Exile in this game somehow. Because the game wouldn't progress otherwise if you didn't. (I hope you know what I'm talking about. You kinda learn it in the LS endings. I can't say it straight out as I'm unsure how to blur the answer)

Anywhom, I think they managed the memory issues of your character quite well. Because you got to modify on your own past in K2 as the story went along, and I mean, if your background story was already set then it wouldn't explain why you suddenly felt like acting evil, neutral or light side :)