Revan, The Exile, or a newbie

bubblyofart

If there ever is a KOTOR 3, who would you want to be the PC?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. If there ever is a KOTOR 3, who would you want to be the PC?

• Revan
    • Exile

hehe, debating this topic indirectly on other threads actually gave me the answer to this question.

KotOR 3 has to be the exile. Or at least a new character rolled up as the Exile.

here is why: (following is logical reasoning, not personal preference or wishes/desires, just following as the story has progresses to continue the continuity of the existing story)

1) Revan is somewhere in the outter Rim, he sent his only ship (ebon hawk) back with T3 to find the Exile. Hense unless Obsidian does a cheap move of (or the great and powerful Revan stole a ship and returned to Republic space), the story has to flow as the Exile looking for Revan. That means the Exile has to be the PC in part 3.

2) Most folks (Ive read anyways) want party members from parts 1 and 2 to return for part 3. this presents a problem as Bao, Visas, Mira, Handmaiden, and Atton Loyalties lay with the Exile, not the Jedi, not Revan, not the Sith (if you go darkside).

None of those characters could be used in part 3 storyline in any meaningful way unless the Exile is the PC (leader) of the game.

a) Visas doesnt give two squats about the jedi even at the end of K2, she would have NO desire to follow Jedi or Sith. Her one and only loyalty is towards the Exile.

b) Bao hates war, hates fighting. The only way to pull Bao into the conflicts is for him to follow the Exile. The ONE person that he respects and will follow to war. Not the Jedi, not the Sith, not Revan would change his mand on that.

c) Handmaiden doesnt trust Jedi. Everything that has appened in her life has taught her this. She accepts the Jedi (and the good they can do) because of the Exile. Unless story fast forward 20 years and shes been formally trained and all that jazz, no way shes following strangers like bastila, Carth, Revan, Jedi, Sith into war. Just not going to happen (and personally the idea of playing a group made up of 50+ year olf geriatrics doesnt really appeal to me)

d) Atton HATES REVAN. Revan ordered Atton to assinate the ONE Jedi Atton loved. Revan is the reason Atton ran away and hid. Hes not going to follow Revan, Jedi, or sith. not a chance in hell. He will however follow The Exile.

e)Mira is a loner. she is the only "new" character that might join in with the Jedi/Sith to fight the real sith and follow Revan. But even her personality suggests otherwise to certain degrees.

On the flip side though, the entire KotOR1 cast could be summoned by Bastila or Carth and would join forces under the exile with the goal in mind of finding and saving Revan.

So if folks want NPCs from KotOR1 and 2 they have to accept the only way to acheive that is for the Exile to be the PC for KotOR3.

3) It doesnt make any sence that Revan would return to Republic Space for help after telling them all he had to go alone. It has to be the people already in the Republic space that start the voyage.

4) Only the Exile has the power and the knowledge to find Revan. Bastila and Carth would have gone already if they had the ability. The dont tho.

Anyways, no matter how you look at it, the Exile has to be the PC for part 3. Other wise its a new character and new party NPCs, and even more unanswered questions from parts 1 and 2 with no ending in sight regarding characters we all have formed attatchments to.

Just no other way around it im afraid.

I really don't believe that KOTOR 3 will be any different from the other 2.

What I mean is that you'll have to play a new guy and level him up just like on the other KOTOR's.

Now, the story, can and should be explored to the maximum, using appearances from Revan and/or the Exile and some KOTOR 1 and 2 characters, but all of them as NPC's.

Here's how I would write it:

You are a Padawan, training on Coruscant and are almost ready to face the trials (I hope they show us what the trials are all about in the next SW movie, episode3) to become a jedi knight.

Your master (it doesn't matter who he/she is) tells you that there are some events that have been set in motion and needs all available jedi's help (sounds a little criptic?  :) ).

Your quest would be to find out what exactly is the mission, before your master talks to you again  :rolleyes: . This would lead you to the jedi archives, where you would snoop and snoop and snoop to finally discover that this was about Revan/Exile and their "fight to save the galaxy", thus setting their alignment and gender, thru some kind of chat with the librarian.

At this point Coruscant would be attacked by a mysterious enemy and your master would tell to equip up and be ready to fight. Yes, this game you should start with a lightsaber. After a long battle, and some easy enemy soldiers (don't forget this is only the beginning) death's you find that every jedi master disappeared and all the jedi knights and padawans were killed, except you.

The Ebon Hawk was one of the ships in the fight and is damaged. T3 finds you and asks you (you won't have much choice  :-" ) to come with him.

The rest of the story I leave to your imagination.

MUAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

comments please.....

Eeeeerm... The Jedi are all dead or gone :) The academy on Coruscant doesn't exist anymore... :)

There is no Jedi who can even train padawans (except maybe bastilla exile and his company and maybe revan but they all are in uknown regions).

Besides kotor 3 is going to be diffrent... at least it will look diffrently cause it's going to have a new engine.

Eeeeerm... The Jedi are all dead or gone :- The academy on Coruscant doesn't exist anymore... :)

Huh? When was that established? We've been nowhere near Coruscant so far, and I'm pretty sure that all we've ever heard of it was when Revan wondered why there was a council on Dantooine instead of Coruscant... :rolleyes:

There is no Jedi who can even train padawans (except maybe bastilla exile and his company and maybe revan but they all are in uknown regions).

At the risk of repeating myself - huh?

Revan, yes. Exile, yes.

But the Exile's companions? I doubt it. In fact, the end of KotOR2 suggests very clearly that the Exile must take Revan's choice and go into the unknown regions alone and leave his/her friends behind. Kreia even says that he/she cannot bring anyone he/she loves IIRC...

Besides kotor 3 is going to be diffrent... at least it will look diffrently cause it's going to have a new engine.

Yes, it seems there'll be a new graphics engine from what rumors I've heard too. I don't particularly need one (getting the plot right and actually finishing the game has much higher priority for me), but I scarcely mind a new engine.

As for who will be the main character, I think it should be both Revan, the Exile and a new character. You should begin as the new character and then meet the Exile and finally Revan alone the way, and they should all be active members in the group at all times, or else the game should split the protagonists into groups with each of the main characters in each of three groups, and each group then take their turn to play their part in the plot like the Freedon Nadd temple vs. Onderon civil war split in KotOR2.

As for who will be the main character, I think it should be both Revan, the Exile and a new character. You should begin as the new character and then meet the Exile and finally Revan alone the way, and they should all be active members in the group at all times, or else the game should split the protagonists into groups with each of the main characters in each of three groups, and each group then take their turn to play their part in the plot like the Freedon Nadd temple vs. Onderon civil war split in KotOR2.

Yes, I would be more inclined towards your idea, because I'm not seeing Obsidian or whoever develops KOTOR 3, make you start a game with a character at level 30. The spirit of this type of games is the leveling up part, so it doesn't make any sense to start at any level bigger than 1. Unless they can find a way to "delevel" exile and revan.

HK-47 has to come back, there is no doubt about that. He is just too funny to ignore. I do think though that KoTOR III should have a new ship for the PC and his/her gang and that the Ebon Hawk should appear in cut-scenes etc instead. I like the idea of a completely new character with a band of new jedi sent to find and help the Exile and Revan fight the true Sith. Perhaps the Handmaiden could be seen at the start of the game as a Jedi Master who trained the new PC and friends but who is not a playable character. An appearance from Bastila again would be nice too.

yo peops!!!!! the illest idea!!!listen close...u play as a completely new charcter which has no past,with some new force powers etc....in a completely different galaxy...everything knew.....wierd memory flashbacks from the fist an second game...AND THEN U REALIZE THAT U ARE A FORCE FUSIUON BETWEEN REVAN AND THE EXILE ( when the exile found revan a bond was made between the 2,tha bond had to be strenghtened if they were to defeat the true sith,so they fused into 1,however the proccess ended up in memory loss) i know it's kinda stupid but that way u can actually control both of them and still will u be able to choose how u look like.watcha think?

;)

This idea is so different and unusual that I have to say I like it. Am I right in thinking you are a Dragon Ball Z fan? The word "Fusion" rigs a few bells. :thumbsup:

HK-47 has to come back, there is no doubt about that.  He is just too funny to ignore.  I do think though that KoTOR III should have a new ship for the PC and his/her gang and that the Ebon Hawk should appear in cut-scenes etc instead.  I like the idea of a completely new character with a band of new jedi sent to find and help the Exile and Revan fight the true Sith.  Perhaps the Handmaiden could be seen at the start of the game as a Jedi Master who trained the new PC and friends but who is not a playable character.  An appearance from Bastila again would be nice too.

Of course HK-47 will be back - HK-47 and T3 are the C-3PO and R2 of KotOR, so there is no doubt they'll return. Like the droids of the movies, the droids of KotOR are the only recurring characters that sort of binds it all together to a true saga.

As for the Exile's companions, I'd bet that a good number of them will make appearances in the game, though it might only be cameo appearances. I particularly noted what Kreia told the Exile about them being the lost jedi, which suggests to me that they stayed together and tried to revive the dying jedi order when the Exile left to follow in Revan's footsteps in the unknown regions. And no doubt Mandalore will be back too. Heh, I want a scene where the group has to sneak into some place, then Mandalore turns and walks away just after saying, "I'll be back" :rolleyes:

Well, maybe not...

Eeeeerm... The Jedi are all dead or gone :( The academy on Coruscant doesn't exist anymore... :(

Huh? When was that established? We've been nowhere near Coruscant so far, and I'm pretty sure that all we've ever heard of it was when Revan wondered why there was a council on Dantooine instead of Coruscant... :rolleyes:

At the risk of repeating myself - huh?

Revan, yes. Exile, yes.

But the Exile's companions? I doubt it. In fact, the end of KotOR2 suggests very clearly that the Exile must take Revan's choice and go into the unknown regions alone and leave his/her friends behind. Kreia even says that he/she cannot bring anyone he/she loves IIRC...

Yes, it seems there'll be a new graphics engine from what rumors I've heard too. I don't particularly need one (getting the plot right and actually finishing the game has much higher priority for me), but I scarcely mind a new engine.

It was once mentioned by Kreia at the beginning of the game, that the academy on Coruscant is also... hmm maybe not destroyed but certainly abandoned.

No new PC.

For story flow, K3 has to start with Exile's search for Revan, although I'd prefer both Exile and Revan as PC's, their storylines growing closer together until they either merge or their goals do. A chapter approach would work, even after that point. That is a lot of ground to cover in one game, what with NPC's and sidequests. Splitting off into three PC's gets too schizophrenic.

Again, Exile and Revan are both very experienced in battle and life's lessons--and any new padawan logically doesn't stand a chance. I don't want to see a midichlorian-laced superAnakin swooping in to save the galaxy. Please. Developing any new PC, along with his/her attendant backstory, will shortchange the conclusion we are all waiting for. That energy should be spent on fully finishing the story in a dramatic fashion. It isn't sufficient to tell me what happened--I want to be there.

I really don't care much about seeing old party members come back, with the exception of those who are important--Canderous, Bastila, Carth, HK47, and T3 ... BaoDur's ability could be a useful plot device (if he didn't die). The rest, like Mission, Juhani, Jolee, Handmaiden, Mira etc. are done--I know all about them that I need to know, unless they can contribute in some way besides eye candy. The more important NPC's can be shown through video sequences; they can't join the party unless/until Revan and Exile get back to the known galaxy, where more conventional weapons are required. Otherwise, you just invalidated every reason for going alone into the Unknown Regions.

In short, I'm not willing to settle for a generic SW knock-off, or to see this series fall into the well-worn RPG rut. Eventually you get tired of the same pattern, over and over; what I like most about these two games is that they offer something different. That difference is the depth of the story they tell--the one that is not yet complete.

question Kali?

Why is Carth important for the story?

Bastilla is the tie to Revan, Carth was to part 1 what Atton was to part 2.

Seems to me, if you dont bring back all the characters and only those important to story, Carth wouldnt be in the list.

T3, HK, Canderous, Bastila (even Bastila questionable as Revan left her behind for a reason). Bastila is to Revan what Visas is to Exile after all.

Not following your logic here

question Kali?

Seems to me, if you dont bring back all the characters and only those important to story, Carth wouldnt be in the list.

T3, HK, Canderous, Bastila (even Bastila questionable as Revan left her behind for a reason). Bastila is to Revan what Visas is to Exile after all.

He is an admiral in the Republic Fleet. If a defense needs to be mounted on Revan's return, as was implied by Canderous, someone in charge needs to coordinate it on the Republic's end. Candy, of course, was told to gather the clans and wait. There's only one reason Revan would need every Mandalorian Canderous could lay hands on... whatever Revan's plan was, he/she and Exile quite possibly will be chased back by some pretty po'd Sith folks.

T3 and HK are fixtures. I somewhat agree with regard to Bastila (if Revan was female), but we don't really know what she's been doing in the meantime. Her appearance in K2 kept her in the picture, at any rate, and I'd expect at least a brief cameo if Revan was male.

Revan and the exile should be playable later on, but what about chosing a padawan/apprentice (LS/DS)? we not only need a newb, we need one who will whip Revan's ever-lovin @$$, and beat the tar outta hte Exile.

yes listen to some of the better core ideas that people like, like picking a (character generating your own) padawan, people seem to like that idea alot, and of course, mandalore and a mandalorian army spearheaded by the new order (be it sith or jedi) against the sith empire (which should be better off than any incarnation of the republilc) and most of all i can safely say...

GIVE US HK-47 OR GIVE US EXAR KUN as Kun ain't happening, i mean every Kotor fan wants another shot of smart-ass, wanton carnage, overkill (give us assasin protocols to take out targets, like leave the planet, and instead of you haveing to kill him, you leave HK, and the plot advances when you return)

HK-47

HK-47

cheer!

also, don't forget what canderous said about the mandy wars in KOTOR I-

"... when the sith told us to attack the republic..."

yes, it is a line in the script, i have heard it abour 12 times (glitched back to talking to him)

Uno problemo, chica. (Okay, I can't type Spanish very well)

Exar Kun, for all intents and purposes, is dead. He doesn't even show himself again until after the movies.

I know the chanes of someone reading my post but I want to start off as a Jedi padawan with a real jedi master who guides me.

question Kali?

He is an admiral in the Republic Fleet. If a defense needs to be mounted on Revan's return, as was implied by Canderous, someone in charge needs to coordinate it on the Republic's end. Candy, of course, was told to gather the clans and wait. There's only one reason Revan would need every Mandalorian Canderous could lay hands on... whatever Revan's plan was, he/she and Exile quite possibly will be chased back by some pretty po'd Sith folks.

T3 and HK are fixtures. I somewhat agree with regard to Bastila (if Revan was female), but we don't really know what she's been doing in the meantime. Her appearance in K2 kept her in the picture, at any rate, and I'd expect at least a brief cameo if Revan was male.

So, you have a quick cameo of him and thats that.

Still doesnt warrant Carth as a party npc if only selected old npcs used.

T3 needed as hes the only one that actually know where Revan is if you follow part 2 story.

HK needed as the HK factory was left out of part 2 so that loose end needs to be tied up.

Canderous needed because Mandalorians are still to play their part in this story.

Beyond that, none of the KotOR1 or 2 party members truely needed. They have played their parts so to speak, give them breif cameos and thats it.

*for the record though, I want to be able to make my party from a selection of ALL previous party npcs. I understand Carth is a favorite of many (not mine, way to freaking whinny) but being a favorite is not reason enough to include if just including those that are still apart of the ongoing story.*

Carths part has come and gone. More so then actually a number of other characters from part 1 or 2. Carths part was tied up nicely and completely. Hes one of the few that actually DOES have finality in his storyline.

PPS: KotOR 1 and 2, unlike JE, were written with Revan and Exile as male characters. Both Bioware and Obsidian obvious drew up the story with male heros then added the female aspects later. Hense why key things dont flow as smoothly when playing a female (IE: the love story with Bastila which was paramount for the story. Adding in the Carth love story was a nice touch but didnt read or play out anywhere as completely).

While Bioware did ALOT better job on JE in regards to not making it obvious what sex/alignment the PC was meant as (I honestly cant tell and have played it completely 5 times now as both male and female, OP and CF), KotOR series doesnt have that luxery, so for story continuity, expect part 3 to be written as a male lightside lead once again. Of course it will have the lightside/darkside, male/female option, but lets not kid ourselves what the real story of the franchise was and is.

People can debate as much they want, the truth of the matter lays in the scripting, and sorry but that parts obvious.

Well, I think Part III should start with a new PC, and I'm not talking about the kind like Revan and the Exile, I'm talkink about a clean slate (I think the amnesia story is getting old by now!). Kind of like Luke in Episode IV. Although he should't have that much of an history, so there is more room for developing the character the way the player sees fit (I never liked the part where most important people you meet know more about your charakter than you do).

I think you should be discovered by a Jedi master in the beginning of the game, who will train you in the ways of the Jedi, instructing you during the first Jedi missions, and being a locked companion until you reach the rank of a full Jedi knight. (Please keep the coments on missuse of the force, I loved that, it gave a real SW feel to the Jedi Master)

Although I really liked Revan I don't think he should return as a PC or as some one who interacts with the PC up until the very End of the Game. He is just to powerful to make any sense from the PC leveling side. Same goes for the Exile, even though I really don't think his strory was all that great.

The idea I liked best so far is the one of taking a padawan, although that shouldn't happen until the later parts of the game. But I don't know about creating him/her yourself. I think much rather you should meet a couple of force sensitive Kids (a slave you free on a mission, and stuff like that) with different character traits, so you can choose the one that you think is best fit for you.

I still have some more thoughts on gameplay and storyline but I'll post those in the other thread.

So,  you have a quick cameo of him and thats that.

Oh, no, I wasn't implying that they would be party members again. Not at all. I don't expect--or even want--any of the old NPC characters to be playable. I was just saying that those particular characters have an ongoing part in the story. Through video sequences, they can show what's going on in other parts of the galaxy, which will help the conclusion all come together.

I agree with you on the scripting. My Exile and Revan are always LS males. But others' mileage varies, which is a game convention that probably will be upheld. :wub: .

So,  you have a quick cameo of him and thats that.

Oh, no, I wasn't implying that they would be party members again. Not at all. I don't expect--or even want--any of the old NPC characters to be playable. I was just saying that those particular characters have an ongoing part in the story. Through video sequences, they can show what's going on in other parts of the galaxy, which will help the conclusion all come together.

I agree with you on the scripting. My Exile and Revan are always LS males. But others' mileage varies, which is a game convention that probably will be upheld. :wub: .

LOL, oh okies.

For some reason I read it as you saying needed characters would include T3, HK, Canderous, Bastila, and Carth. I just couldnt figure out the "why" part of the statement :)

In my opinion, KOTOR 1 was a complete story. I'd like to see Revan again, but as either a henchman or a NPC. Exile's story was left at a cliff-hanger. I'd like to see them continue his story.

By the way, I've only played KOTOR 2 with Revan as a LS, do they explain why the Republic is still around if Revan was DS? How did they survive the starforge-fleet?

In my opinion, KOTOR 1 was a complete story.  I'd like to see Revan again, but as either a henchman or a NPC.  Exile's story was left at a cliff-hanger.  I'd like to see them continue his story.

By the way, I've only played KOTOR 2 with Revan as a LS, do they explain why the Republic is still around if Revan was DS?  How did they survive the starforge-fleet?

Nope they dont

It just goes to show more that contrary to some folks desire, Revan was male LS in original story, and then story was adjusted to allow DS and female revans.

In my opinion, KOTOR 1 was a complete story.  I'd like to see Revan again, but as either a henchman or a NPC.  Exile's story was left at a cliff-hanger.  I'd like to see them continue his story.

By the way, I've only played KOTOR 2 with Revan as a LS, do they explain why the Republic is still around if Revan was DS?  How did they survive the starforge-fleet?

Like many plot elements in this very ambiguous game, they don't tell you, but they imply what happened.

Revan united the Sith behind him/her, then wandered off to the Outer Rim, and the Sith left behind fell to fighting amongst themselves to be the new Dark Lord. So the Star Forge fleet was used in a Sith civil war, and the Republic never faced it directly. At least, this is my understanding of it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Like many plot elements in this very ambiguous game, they don't tell you, but they imply what happened.

Revan united the Sith behind him/her, then wandered off to the Outer Rim, and the Sith left behind fell to fighting amongst themselves to be the new Dark Lord. So the Star Forge fleet was used in a Sith civil war, and the Republic never faced it directly. At least, this is my understanding of it.

That seems plausible (sp?), thanks Steve.

can we assume the Sith Civil war destroyed the Star Forge?

No, only that the remaining Sith either lacked the strength to use it or didn't think it suited their style.

Back on topic, either Revan, the Exile or a new character would be OK, provided the writer has a clear vision of what they want to do with the character and puts a little effort into tying up loose ends. I personally don't have a problem with level 20 characters suddenly starting again from level 1 - my disbelief in that regard is easily suspended. The idea of playing all three at different points, meeting up in the final stages, isn't really for me, though. I want an epic journey with a small group of people.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

No, only that the remaining Sith either lacked the strength to use it or didn't think it suited their style.

Back on topic, either Revan, the Exile or a new character would be OK, provided the writer has a clear vision of what they want to do with the character and puts a little effort into tying up loose ends. I personally don't have a problem with level 20 characters suddenly starting again from level 1 - my disbelief in that regard is easily suspended. The idea of playing all three at different points, meeting up in the final stages, isn't really for me, though. I want an epic journey with a small group of people.

I don't have problem with them level 20 PC starting at level 1 again either, it's just that there isn't much about those characters that's left to explore. Something like that should only happen if it's a "real" sequel! In my opinon TSL wasn't one and therefore KOTOR III shouldn't be one either. Hence, a newbie PC!

Considering the epic journey, I agree on that! That's what this game has been, and should be all about in the future!