Anyone ever attempt to explain this?

Trying to apply genetics to midichlorians is silly cos you will quickly unravel the idea. Just suspend your belief while watching and ignore the fallacies of such a theory. Anyway i think i remember hearing/reading that midichlorians are not transferable but dont take my word for it.

As for Luke's good fortune i have always wondered the same thing. My take on it is that he studied extra hard between movies and found some holocrons and he was aided by the strength of his connection to The Force

Luke is special. He is the son of the chosen one, and the last of the LS force adepts. He isn't all powerful in the movies, but he learns to use his emotions to give him strength, yet he is able to resist the DS in him. He let loose his rage at Vader, but didn't become swallowed up by it.

Like Anakin kills the Jedi and Padme, the Emperor thought that like father like son, Luke gave in to his urges and will walk the path to the DS. It was Luke's rage that gave him the strength to defeat Vader.

But Luke is special. The force is strong with him in the end. Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't have all the time in the world to train Luke. They had to use speed teaching, have Luke kill Vader and the Emperor, and save the galaxy.What they didn't count on was Luke having the wisdom to try to help his father return to the light.

I thought there was no genetic component at all.

Totally random. Force Sensitive -- hey, I can levitate! Perhaps there might be a ripple effect, such that offspring of a Jedi might be close enough to be "infected" with the Force Sensitivity, too. (What about those adopted out? Then again, caging all the promising young ones together in a geogpraphically contained place might help them concentrate The Force.)

And I knew Mission shouldn't have bought all those shoes -- Dustil and his big shoe empire idea. Sheesh. :thumbsup:"

After the first three movies (when I was a kid) I thought it there was no genetic component either. It seemed to be more like Buddhist enlightenment, that anyone could achieve it through meditation and discipline, though in practice few did.

Then we got the midiwhatsits, and it just seemed to debase the whole idea. I don't like it any more than I like the idea of genetically 'perfect' children being engineered today. If I lived in the Star Wars universe, I don't think I would find it easy to accept a Jedi as a judge or mediator on the basis of his genetic makeup.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

After the first three movies (when I was a kid) I thought it there was no genetic component either.  It seemed to be more like Buddhist enlightenment, that anyone could  achieve it through meditation and discipline, though in practice few did.

Then we got the midiwhatsits, and it just seemed to debase the whole idea.  I don't like it any more than I like the idea of genetically 'perfect' children being engineered today.  If I lived in the Star Wars universe, I don't think I would find it easy to accept a Jedi as a judge or mediator on the basis of his genetic makeup.

Yeah. That's what I thought too. Like if you practiced really hard, you can do what they do. Like an old Kung Fu movie where the characters are making these flying attacks. Only the best of the best can do it.

Indeed, yet I don't mind much about the midichlorans....

Think of it this way...the force is still this mystical essance that people can tap into, except the midichloran count makes it easier for others....thats why it's easier for Luke to do it, rather than Han Solo...