Talk with foreigner

Finger of Death

Now,I work in a PC shop,my duty is repair something and send something.

One day a foreigner in our shop,he use strange Chinese talk with our boss so I go to ask."May I help you sir?"I say."Yes,"he answer,"you can speak English."I say "Yeah,everyone here can speak English ,altough it is simple word."After that we talk much,and I know he is a teacher teach English in high school.

In his eye,only a few pepple can speak English in China,and he suprise I can speak English and more suprise I can speak English but work in a small PC shop.

What about your country?If you mother tongue not English.

If I tell you I'm good

You would probably think I'm boasting

If I tell you I'm no good

You know I'm lying

---Bruce Lee

English is mandatory from 5th grade and upwards in Finland. Still, we finnish are have a hard time to pronounciate the words properly.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

English is also mandatory in Denmark, and we get exposed to English/American TV from an early age without dubbing, yet our accents, like the accents of every other Scandinavian, are horrible! <_<

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

English is mandatory too, in that backwater part of European Union I am forced to live in.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Americans are uneducated bastards. I know English, and a smattering of Spanish. However, due to the rise of Political Correctness in America, English is not mandatory. We're somehow supposed to know how to communicate in the native tongue of whatever immigrant we may come across. :blink:

I was on the train a while ago and this girl in front of me started talking on her cellphone. She spoke english with a very strong snotty brittish accent, and I naturally assumed she was brittish. Then she got another call and behold, she's a Swede speaking in a completely different voice.

This disturbed me somewhat. Although I do it too, and even worse than that, since I switch accents every other sentence and unconsciously mimic the particular accent of whoever Im happen to be talking to.

Is this a disease born by learning languages via television?

Nurbs> I thought you were a frenchie?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

About half of Glaswegians speak English
And the other half? :blink:

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

When I worked in Japan, the local city had four high schools, and each school had a native English speaking teacher. One was from the US, one from Ireland, one from England and one from New Zealand. After a year or so, when some kid came up to me on the street (they often do, to practice their English) I could often guess which school they went to because of the traces of the teacher's accent.

My experience of Japan is that a lot of people know some English: after all, they've usually studied it for six years at school. What's rarer is to find someone with the courage and confidence actually to speak it to a foreigner. Well done for speaking up - it's always a great feeling when someone makes an effort to speak your language.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

And the other half? :blink:

The other half speaks Ned, which is a language related to English, though lacking in any grammar, conventional written form, or words greater than two syllables in length.

An example:

Statement: Hello, where is the nearest Bus Stop?

Translation: Auright bawbag, wur cna fin'i bous stoap, ya dobber?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I took german for 6 years and I can only shout things like:

"bereitmachen f

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

In Spain foreign language is mandatory since... well, early enough. However, most people don't reach a good level in whatever that language is, unless they spend some time abroad. And that's grammar-wise. Pronunciation and fluency are even worse. I myself can hardly speak without thinking unless I've had a few drinks. After that, it's all fun and games... :blink:"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I switch accents every other sentence and unconsciously mimic the particular accent of whoever Im happen to be talking to.

yeah I do the exact same.. but I usually speak with a 'normal' british accent ..

to add to what Lucius said, English is mandatory from 4th grade here (when the child is 10) but they are considering starting it from 3rd, which I think is a good idea.. and German is mandatory from 7th grade and then you can change to Spanish or French in 9th grade .. although you can still keep German if you want!

So everyone in Denmark speaks english .. there are very few who are unable to formulate themselves!

Fortune favors the bald.

I switch accents every other sentence and unconsciously mimic the particular accent of whoever Im happen to be talking to.

yeah I do the exact same.. but I usually speak with a 'normal' british accent ..

I speak danish wonderfully.

"Hvorfor aer paprika Steen syk? Hon aer skyldi Mogens halftrestusen."

which brings me to issue of why you only have 10 actors that you use in absolutely everything? and is there a danish actor in existence that has never been on "Taxa" ?

Because we only have 10 actors, but I must admit, the only Swedish actor I know of is Stellan AKA "Swede in American movies" ;)

As for the accents, I meant those who don't bother switching from their native accents when speaking English of course, like my father. Sounds.... terrible! :blink:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I was on the train a while ago and this girl in front of me started talking on her cellphone. She spoke english with a very strong snotty brittish accent, and I naturally assumed she was brittish. Then she got another call and behold, she's a Swede speaking in a completely different voice.

This disturbed me somewhat. Although I do it too, and even worse than that, since I switch accents every other sentence and unconsciously mimic the particular accent of whoever Im happen to be talking to.

Is this a disease born by learning languages via television?

Nurbs> I thought you were a frenchie?

I'm a Native English speaker (whose supposed to be bilingual with French, but I'm not) and I do that too. I think its simply adapting to the Social conditions. As one would not speak proper english to an average teenager in this day and age, They get confused with all the "big words".

huh? what is "halftrestusen"?? do you mean halvtrestusinde? as in 50.000 .. (which doesn't make anymore sense, but it's the only thing I could think of)

aer = er , Syk = Syg, Hon = Hun, Skyldi = Skyld i

which brings me to issue of why you only have 10 actors that you use in absolutely everything? and is there a danish actor in existence that has never been on "Taxa" ?

Nikolaj Lie Kaas wasn't n Taxa .. :D

Fortune favors the bald.

So everyone in Denmark speaks english .. there are very few who are unable to formulate themselves!

Scandinavia is rather unusual in the West, but very much in tune with the rest of the world. Most people in the world are bilingual or multilingual. Europeans are the worst monolingual offenders.

By the way, I often wondered ... is Sandi Toksvig famous in Denmark?

Scandinavia is rather unusual in the West, but very much in tune with the rest of the world.  Most people in the world are bilingual or multilingual.  Europeans are the worst monolingual offenders.

By the way, I often wondered ... is Sandi Toksvig famous in Denmark?

who is Sandi Toksvig? .. which I guess answeres your question ..

Fortune favors the bald.

huh? hvad fanden er "halftrestusen"??

Well, I cant be made responsible for your language consisting mainly of unitelligble gibberish :D

(the jugoslav mafia boss in "pusher" says that, and the subtitle says "50 000 dkr")

who is Sandi Toksvig? .. which I guess answeres your question ..

Yup, thanks. She's a broadcaster and comedienne in the UK, originally from Denmark, probably the second most famous Dane in this country after Hamlet. One of the many 'professional foreigners' who exist around the world.

Well, I cant be made responsible for your language consisting mainly of unitelligble gibberish :D

at least we are not trying to cover it up by singing our words .. and then use german spelling half of the time .. I mean "och"? .. or

Fortune favors the bald.