Character influence - Meaningless?

While influencing your characters to your alignment may change their physical appearence in game/on the character info screen does it actually change the way your party members act. So far Bao Dur and Mira while having been 'turned to the dark side' are still good, still influenced by light side acts etc. I had the impression that they would turn bad in every sense, but oh well just another case of not enough memory is it?

The influence system is interesting and a nice idea. It does allow you to discover more about your companions' histories. But yes, it's biggest weakness is that it claims to be having a tremendous impact on NPCs, as seen by their changing alignment, but this is not reflected consistently in how they speak or behave. It's counter-intuitive and confusing. Hopefully Obsidian will take the idea and develop it further in future games.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I like the influence system, but yes, it wasn't implemented terribly well this time around.

Some of the unused material would have changed that a bit - ie, high influence w/Disciple & not Atton making Atton turn dark etc. Sigh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It was really confusing to me as well. Basically you can change your companions' on screen alignment but as far as changing their way of thinking... forget it. It ends up making no sense whatsoever and requires a DS player to keep "true DS" companions with him/her and vice versa. If you try to make decisions contrary to your companions' "true alignment" you will lose influence with them. This game was finished in 13 months. Why? I don't know, seems pretty rediculous to me. They needed to do a lot more scripting and voice acting for the "Influence" system to make any sense at all.

Kilkanon

Well thanks for the replies, I havn't finished the game yet and i'm 55 hours throuhg it!

I wasn't aware you could have diffenerent NPC's in the game, maybe being DS would limmit those choices anyway....

How come you can never seem to influence Kreia enough to change her alignment?

i"ve turned Handmaiden into a DS guardian but when do I get to do this for Atton, Bao Dur?

Well thanks for the replies, I havn't finished the game yet and i'm 55 hours throuhg it! 

I wasn't aware you could have diffenerent NPC's in the game, maybe being DS would limmit those choices anyway.... 

How come you can never seem to influence Kreia enough to change her alignment?

i"ve turned Handmaiden into a DS guardian but when do I get to do this for Atton, Bao Dur?

... Keep playing. :ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Obsidian wasted the good idea of the influence system imo.

Turning your mates into jedis is nice but it would have been cool if the level of influence the pc has with the individuelly characters results into different endings. Something like : LS characters turning against the exile when influence is too low

- at the end of the game ... on Malachor V

But we all know why this not happened..... only 13 months of development!

Obsidian wasted the good idea of the influence system imo.

Turning your mates into jedis is nice but it would have been cool if the level of influence the pc has with the individuelly characters results into different endings. Something like : LS characters turning against the exile when influence is too low

- at the end of the game ... on Malachor V

But we all know why this not happened..... only 13 months of development!

damn I read the blocked out bit..........how stupid was that :(