KOTOR2 urban myths

On this board there are some people that claim KOTOR2's story was lacking, that they did not know what was going on or that The story made no sense. On the other hand, many hardcore players say the story was deeper and more engaging than KOTOR1.

IMO, since KOTOR2 required you to talk with your companions to undrstand the story, many people have been left in the dark. It is possible to play through the game and barely understand the point of the story. Many previews said that you would require several play-through's to get the full story from all your companions.

Did obsisdian make mistake in KOTOR2's complex story?

Are some forum posters complaints misplaced? or right on since Obsidian developed such an obtuse storyline?

Maybe the subtleties of KOTOR2 will be appreciated with time... but only if a patch comes out soon dammit!!

I think burying important aspects of the main story behind the influence system was a mistake.

Especially since the only way to get as much Influence as possible is to work from a checklist, which isn't the way I like to play RPGs.

Yeah, the influence system could have been made better.

But the story is nice imo .... sure, you dont get all the aspects of the plot when beating the game for the first time but that increases the replay value.

Unfortunaly the end of the game DOES NOT increase the replay value .....

I actually liked the game until the last 1/3 of it. It's pretty bad when you get more information about the story from the little blurbs on the loading screens, than from the actually story itself. <_<

On this board there are some people that claim KOTOR2's story was lacking, that they did not know what was going on or that The story made no sense. On the other hand, many hardcore players say the story was deeper and more engaging than KOTOR1.

IMO, since KOTOR2 required you to talk with your companions to undrstand the story, many people have been left in the dark. It is possible to play through the game and barely understand the point of the story. Many previews said that you would require several play-through's to get the full story from all your companions.

Are some forum posters complaints misplaced? or right on since Obsidian developed such an obtuse storyline?

Maybe the subtleties of KOTOR2 will be appreciated with time... but only if a patch comes out soon dammit!!

I dont think they made a mistake, I think they just have to "TRAIN" (for lack of any better word) players to use their heads once again.

So many RPG releases in last decade have taken the thinking outta the game and you just connect the dots to finish. KotOR2 was a return to a older style of RPG games and for that I personally LOVED the game.

When I was posting regularly here, a good 95% of all complaints about game were caused by people just not reading what was happening around them.

So its just a matter of people utilizing more then the point and click patern that they become so accustom to in games.

A good example is Halo (not a RPG but still good example). I heard Halo was a awsome game, I got it with my Xbox so finally decided to load it up. I was soooo bored. You didnt need to read a single thing that was said because everything was so freaking linear that all you had to do was follow the path and not die. By the 3rd stage I turned the game off as it just wasnt interesting or compelling story wise. But thats what people are use to. KotOR2 is just a different format that they need to learn (or in my case Relearn).

i think kotor 2 was far more subtle than kotor 1. kotor 1 was a good game but kotor 2 was a good STORY. thats a pretty rare achievement for a sequel...

what makes the difference in 2 is:

1) the realistic voice acting

2) the carefully crafted script and the superior writing

3) the complex, subtle structure of the entire plot

sometimes i felt like i was watching a 40 hour RPG movie. oscar-winning.

Kotor had a good story, but there was nothing subtle about it, the head honcho gets brainwashed and becomes a hero, sure some of us were awed with wonder when they discovered what was really going on.

The sequel's story though was very intriguing, a concept you never heard of or thought of, and when you learn about it, you go:"wow, what a concept, this is deeper then the usual stat wars."

Well said. Good title!

Yeah, the influence system could have been made better.

But the story is nice imo .... sure, you dont get all the aspects of the plot when beating the game for the first time but that increases the replay value.

Unfortunaly the end of the game DOES NOT increase the replay value .....

Ditto.

I have no problem with subtle, complex or even hidden story components or truculent NPCs that have to be handled in careful ways to extract the most information from them (cf. that FPS where you torture villians with bandsaws to obtain information .... yeah, very compelling -- NOT).

The problem was the ending: assuming it was due to the publishing deadline (and evidence seems to suggest this is the best assessment), a few more months to add the omitted material (found on the game discs) would have made all the difference. :p

I really lost interest in replaying the game due to the long, linear beginning and end (which also suffered from quite poor direction). Then all the subtlies and complexities would have been a joy to find. (w00t)

Contrary to some peoples' assertions on these boards, I thought KotOR (the original) was a brilliant game (one of the best); only the limited scope of the game eventually exhausted the replayability when I was beginning to know each and every dialogue tree and corresponding responses! I was waiting for the promised new, larger scope of KotOR2 to allow me to explore and replay and replay some more. :D

What we got was not up to the task. And it so easily could have been.

Which is the shame of it all. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT