seen this?

Hi all,

We know that everyone has been waiting for some word on when and how we would address some of the issues with the PC version of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

As of Tuesday we have a "patch candidate" in QA for verification. It will take several days to test and verify all the fixes, and to make sure that the patch plays nice with all system configs etc. We hope to release the patch very shortly - check back here for any updates. We're not providing a date for fear that we find another issue that needs to be addressed, and the patch would need to be pushed back. LucasArts and Obsidian are both working diligently to get the patch together and released as soon as possible.

We anticipate the patch being available for all language versions on or around the same day. We also hope to post a patch list that documents the changes that you can look for when installing the patch.

Finally, thanks for your patience, and we hope that you enjoy the game.

Mike Gallo

LucasArts Producer

2-24-05

it was posted in the la forums by on of the devs, its nearly 2 months out of date, but what do you think?

it was posted in the la forums by on of the devs, its nearly 2 months out of date, but what do you think?

Pretty much same time when "patch is comming soon" came to obsidian website. Needless to say they have run in to some unsuspected problems.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

unexpected as in they havent a clue what they are doing, and they certainly dont value their customers, i think people have the right idea when they sau they're trading in their copies, my local gamestation is takin about

unexpected as in they havent a clue what they are doing, and they certainly dont value their customers,

And you know this how?

Because they haven't released the patch in over 2 months.

Well, I take it as sign that they want to do things properly this time. *shrugs* We

unexpected as in they havent a clue what they are doing, and they certainly dont value their customers,

And you know this how?

No, not valueing their customers would be not making a patch at all, the fact that one is being worked on should make people happy.

Like I said, Obsidian's biggest problem other than the contract they are in has been announcing a patch in the first place. Think of how much less yelling would be going on if a patch had not been announced. If they wanted to do a patch they should have kept quiet until release its release.

And you know this how?

No, not valueing their customers would be not making a patch at all, the fact that one is being worked on should make people happy.

Like I said, Obsidian's biggest problem other than the contract they are in has been announcing a patch in the first place. Think of how much less yelling would be going on if a patch had not been announced. If they wanted to do a patch they should have kept quiet until release its release.

They should have never used the word 'soon'. I think it would have saved them alot of grief if they had just omitted that one word.

Well, there are only 2 possibilities:

1) They are not interested in releasing the patch and have other - "more important" - things to do. In this case I think we should sell our games or give them back.

2) They have problems with the patch, but I can't believe that.

Why don't they say anything? That's crazy!

They had no choice but to announce the patch before they knew a definite release date. People reported problems constantly after release so most people expected Obsidian to start working on fixing bugs. If they had decided to say nothing about the patch people would have been even more angry because they would have thought that Obsidian indeed abondoned them.

Nevertheless, Obsidian is in dire need of a public relations manager. Even if the encountered unexpected technical difficulties (which is not unlikely considering the sad state of KotOR II) they still could have kept people in the loop like telling what problems they exactly encountered.

But as many suspect the real problem is not a technical one but their publisher LucasArts who can not be bothered with QA right now because they have to finish their crappy Episode 3 games before the movie hits the screens.

Well, there are only 2 possibilities:

1) They are not interested in releasing the patch and have other - "more important" - things to do. In this case I think we should sell our games or give them back.

I can't believe #1, especially on the part of Obsidian. If they knew the patch was not going to come out then why have the announcement on the home page.

# 2 I can believe, knowing the stability of Bioware's engines.

My question to all of you:

How would you handle this situation if you are OE and or LA?

I am not defending OE, LA or the sad state the game is in (it is really a bad port and not a PC version no matter what they say).

I am asking for how some of you would handle this because I think this is a no-win situation to where they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

OE is damned if they say something... Like they did with the "soon" remark... And also damned if they don't say anything as a lot of people would take that silence to mean OE doesn't care about the product or gamers and this would affect future game sales, I.E. NWN2.

Personally, if OE knew this game had problems... They should have lobbied LA to have a patch ready to go that addressed the major bugs like the CTD, Black screens and other things to at least have a playable product out of the box. Maybe they did lobby LA... But from what I gather reading the Developer Diaries, it appears a lot of them went on vacation after the XBox version was released and I question what they (OE) were doing between then (Dec. '04) and now when they returned from said vacation other than working on NWN2.

Having proper QA instead of rushing the game release to meet the holiday season.

Mind you there are a lot of problems with "KotOR 2" before that even became a issue, LucasArts simply did to KotOR what Disney does to their movies, basic release cash in a sequel.

drakron.png

If they wanted to do a patch they should have kept quiet until release its release.

I strongly dissagree. If they hadn't told us that a patch was imminent, we'd have even more people screaming about crap customer service. Imagine what these guys would feel like if they thought a patch would never come at all. It would be chaos.

If I was Obsidian handling this situation I would first off remove the "soon" aspect of the patch release information. I would also get on the case of LucasArts and see what is up and if there was any problems. After the patch is released I would wash my hands of LucasArts and never do business with them again, no matter how much money they would throw at me.

If I was lucasArts I would be very much forthcoming with information about the status of the patch and give weekly updates. I would also release information on what it would be fixing as well. I would make the patch a priority number 1, especially with a high profile game as KotOR 2 is. I would then commission Obsidian to do a content patch to finish the game.

Harvey

I'd probably say I'm developing a patch, and give some idea of the issues that it will be addressing. And then I'd let people know how it was progressing, and why it was being held up. And I'd be active in the forums here to let people know they arent simply being ignored. And have a tech person in here trying to help people that have problems playing the game.

John Morgan said that they have problems with the patch.

Did Johnny tell what the problem is? How come you're the only one that knows about it?

I don't think this patch is coming any time soon. That assuming it will come at all.

I've heard people say that the problem is that they want a patch that fixes everything. Well, there's no such thing. There will always be a new and unexpected bug.

I just wish they would release whatever patch they have, as long as it fixes something and doesn't screw anything else up in the game. That would put everyone at ease. I mean I am sitting here without being able to play the game properly and I don't know if there will ever be a patch. If they have released something, even if it didn't solve my problem I would at least know they're working on it. I that would't be because you or someone at OE or LA told me, but because they would prove they're working on it.

John Morgan said that they have problems with the patch.

Link? URL?

You seem to be the only poster around here giving Obsidian/Lucas Arts the benefit of the doubt.

:devil: for WoT.

If I would give obsidian benefit of doubt then I would say that there is a change the patch will never come. But since they have said that patch is coming(soon :D ) and not to patch buggy game would be so unbelievably stupid... Well, patch will come when it

It really is bad for Obsidian if it's a case of them having given a working patch to LucasArts, who then decide to sit on it. The fans know LA's reputation (which is getting steadily worse). Sadly Obsidian will be judged more by this game than LA as it's Obsidian's first release. I for one am hardly overwhelmed by their support or post release interaction with the community. They could really take a lesson from Bioware here - I don't think I

Nevertheless, Obsidian is in dire need of a public relations manager. Even if the encountered unexpected technical difficulties (which is not unlikely considering the sad state of KotOR II) they still could have kept people in the loop like telling what problems they exactly encountered.

I don't know of any game company that gives that much detail to the general public.

SiO2