KOTOR 2 Glow Possible on X800Pro!!!!!

Just thought I would share my discovery with everyone:

I have a X800Pro and as usual missing the glow effects on KOTOR 1 and 2. Am now playing KOTOR 2 and having no luck with all the latest drivers - I uninstalled ALL the latest drivers (which is Cat 5.4) and went back to my original driver supplied on the X800Pro CD.

This driver is 6.14.10.6436 - dated 23 March 2004.

What I found out was that the glow effects are back on my X800Pro - you can see this very clearly on lightsabers bobbing / waves, Bao-Dur's repulsor arm, the lights on the Ebon Hawk accomodation cabin and so on...........

I would also hope that KOTOR 1 would have glow effects back - I'll post a follow-up reply on my findings!

So there you those with X8xx series may want to try the above driver for KOTOR!

How do you find Cats 4.4? Do you experience any area transition crashes? This was very easy to test on the original Kotor. Just use "transit to hideout" and back. Repeat till it crashes.

I am not sure when but several Cats before 4.11 suffered from this bug. Perhaps 4.4 was the lasting working driver before the bug.

MaglorD,

i've just installed the Cat 4.4 and KOTOR 2 seems to be progressing just fine. The X800Pro seems sluggish and lower fps than Cat 5.4 but I guess this is a trade off - the lower fps can somewhat be compensated by disabling Vsync.

With the recent Cat's (5.4) I had one to three level transition crashes but nothing too serious just reload quicksave and I'd be OK.

I think there shouldn't be any crashes with Cat 4.4 - my machine and setup has not suffered major crashes that a lot of people seem to have.

That being said I'll test KOTOR 1 again just to make sure!

But yes, the glow effects are impressive when they are present and it is even more glaring to play the game without them - something is just missing ............ notably on Power - Master Power Attacks - not only your weapons glow yellow they glow much brighter too.

That driver version I mentioned above is Catalyst 4.4 and it was supplied in box for my Gecube X800 Pro!

You sure it's Catalyst 4.4? I just downloaded it and read the release notes, the X800-series is not supported by that version.

Catalyst 4.5 is the first official ATI-driver that supported the X800-series.

On a remotely related note.. I want the glow-effect noooooooow~! :-

Pirazy, I'm certain that it is Cat 4.4 - the version no. is 6.14.10.6436 is Cat 4.4 I double checked this.

As I mentioned - glow effects are present and the game KOTOR 2 is a bit slower than if using the latest Catalyst but if you want the glow effect this is the only way to go.

You could also run Cat 5.4 with CCC as suggested by MaglorD - and if you still want glow effects you can put the atioglxx.dll from Cat 4.4 inside KOTOR 2 directory.............

With Cat 5.4 CCC I remedied the problem of ATI Broken Gamma by saving a KOTOR 2 profile which has increased brightness and gamma from the ATI CCC - very useful and saves mucking around with the Brightness slider!

Pirazy, I'm certain that it is Cat 4.4 - the version no. is 6.14.10.6436 is Cat 4.4 I double checked this.

As I mentioned - glow effects are present and the game KOTOR 2 is a bit slower than if using the latest Catalyst but if you want the glow effect this is the only way to go.

You could also run Cat 5.4 with CCC as suggested by MaglorD - and if you still want glow effects you can put the atioglxx.dll from Cat 4.4 inside KOTOR 2 directory.............

With Cat 5.4 CCC I remedied the problem of ATI Broken Gamma by saving a KOTOR 2 profile which has increased brightness and gamma from the ATI CCC - very useful and saves mucking around with the Brightness slider!

You really reaaaaaaaaally sure? :huh:"

I tried putting the atioglxx.dll in the SWKOTOR2 directory, the result? an error message saying something about the file not being a valid windows-memory-thingie (I'm running a swedish edition of XP so it's kinda hard to translate the obscure errors you get from windows). Same thing happened with SWKOTOR.

If it's not too bothersome, would you mind giving a http-link for the exact catalyst-driver you're using? or just the atioglxx.dll-file itself?

Pirazy, I can't give you the HTTP link since the driver is off my Gecube X800Pro original driver CD - but I can give you this info about the version number of the ATIOGLXX.DLL that came with the Gecube original driver:

Version: 6.14.10.4274 - ATI OpenGL Driver copyright 1998 - 2002 , notice that the OGL file with the Cat 4.4 is older / have lower version no. than the Cat 4.4 6.14.10.6436.

So you may want to make sure that your atioglxx.dll has the version number 6.14.10.4274 - I verified that this is the one that gave me glows back but slower performance unfortunately.........