Oh gawd. It says OE is making KotOR 3. I guess I should get ready for another OE style story, dark and depressing. NWN 2 better not have dark story or more people than me are going to start thinking that OE can't do any other type of story.

Hopefully this is just a rumor and nothing more.

I'm beginning to hope that there won't be a KOTOR 3. I remember that tons of people both here and on the Bioware forum were bitching about KOTOR 2 long before it was released. When it came out, surprise surprise, they hated it. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy going on here. Doubtless, the same will happen to KOTOR 3 if it's made.

I'm beginning to hope that there won't be a KOTOR 3.  I remember that tons of people both here and on the Bioware forum were bitching about KOTOR 2 long before it was released.  When it came out, surprise surprise, they hated it.  Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy going on here.  Doubtless, the same will happen to KOTOR 3 if it's made.

Well, "self-fulfilling prophecy" or not, if they put a freaking ending on the story they could have sqaushed a bunch of the critics. A solid story, begining to end, should have been job number one if they wanted to win the doubtful over. If OE does make KotOR 3 and they still have not released a content patch for the PC and Xbox (somehow) then it is going to get really, really ugly.

Oh gawd. It says OE is making KotOR 3. I guess I should get ready for another OE style story, dark and depressing. NWN 2 better not have dark story or more people than me are going to start thinking that OE can't do any other type of story.

Statement: Kotor2 is dark and depressing? i have not smiled so much at a game in years :)

I'm beginning to hope that there won't be a KOTOR 3.  I remember that tons of people both here and on the Bioware forum were bitching about KOTOR 2 long before it was released.  When it came out, surprise surprise, they hated it.  Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy going on here.  Doubtless, the same will happen to KOTOR 3 if it's made.

Your comment belies the fact that a lot (dare I say most?) of the complainants actually liked (and still play) the original KotOR. Are you suggesting we're all just Bioware fanboys? If the sequel was good, the complaints would be drowned out by the praise. I really wanted the game to be good. Now I'd rather play Half-Life 2 or even Rome:Total War (because they have better character development). :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Where did you hear that Obsidian's next game isn't a sequel? Just out of curiosity.

Ok, I admit that I am too lazy to look it up right now but there is a thread in the Obsidian suggestions forum which is called "Obsidian's third game" or something similar. Somewhere there John Morgan posted that their next project is not a sequel and not related to Bioware.

EDIT:

Alright, I may be not THAT lazy

Link

Don't listen to that guy. He said that OE will be making it based on the new project announcement, not the job requirements (knowledge w/ console programming).

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

well i suppose i should apologise on behalf of obsidian for making a dark and depressing game for you....and i feel i must apologise in advance for how dark and depressing kotor 3 could be.

oh wait why dont you just not buy kotor 3? and not buy NWN 2? no one force fed you kotor 2 and if you actually read reviews before blindly purchasing a game then you wouldnt be so dissapointed with how dark kotor 2 is even though everyone else seemed to like the new theme.

what, you want a game where everythings all happy and the universe is devoid of evil? ask one of your parents to buy you a crash bandicoot game im sure it should outstrip your age group but it sure as hell wont be dark and gloomy.

I had NO problems w/ Kotor II, and the only thing that bugged me were the missing story parts, but I'm smart enough to fill in blanks on my own...

I found NWN to be a lot like Diablo in a few aspects... I described some of the blood and other not-good-for-eight-year-olds things to be found in the actual city, and she was really curious as to how it mantained a T rating...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

well i suppose i should apologise on behalf of obsidian for making a dark and depressing game for you....and i feel i must apologise in advance for how dark and depressing kotor 3 could be.

oh wait why dont you just not buy kotor 3? and not buy NWN 2? no one force fed you kotor 2 and if you actually read reviews before blindly purchasing a game then you wouldnt be so dissapointed with how dark kotor 2 is even though everyone else seemed to like the new theme.

what, you want a game where everythings all happy and the universe is devoid of evil? ask one of your parents to buy you a crash bandicoot game im sure it should outstrip your age group but it sure as hell wont be dark and gloomy.

Like it or not, other people have valid opinions too.

You know, I have a PM from a OE developer that states he would like lighter stories than they usually write. Are you ready to make the same insults to him? Here is a copy of the PM. I have deleted the name of the developer but it should not be too hard to figure out who it is.

Re:Dark stories, Mar 7 2005, 10:30 AM

I know I'd like to see a lighter one as well.

As for NWN2, I think we are trying to keep it a little lighter than some of our other games. It's certainly not going to be an "everyone dies" type of story which seems to get written by our designers fairly often.

-

--------------------

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

D'oh!

I guess your statement about "even though everyone else seemed to like the new theme" is not entirely accurate, now is it?

FYI: I like lighter stories in games because I have a wife, family, mortgage, a small company to run, basically a whole lot on my mind and when I have time to play a game, I want something lighter than what KotOR2 was.

I sincerely hope that Obsidian won't do KotOR III - not the way LA clearly have them by their balls, I would rather not have another unfinished game... >_<

If you assume that the majority of KotOR II players (meaning non-whingy, non-forum posting types) would like a third part to the series, who would you suggest do it if not OE?

Bioware isn't an option.

(nor is Bethesda--less sprawl, more game please next time Bethesda!)

I was content to just lurk but you all are getting ridiculous. I've played both games, and I gotta say, it's not that freakin serious.

KOTOR2 may be buggy but KOTOR1 isn't perfect by far. In about 12 hours of play I've encountered two crashes, and Dantooine still runs like crap on my 9800 Pro without that .ini option added. Outside that both games ran about the same with maybe MAYBE a few more bugs on KOTOR2's side, but KOTOR1's patch version is 1.03, there is no excuse for the crashes and chopiness on Dantooine.

Yeah, the story kinda leaves you hanging, but that's how the second episode in a trilogy is supposed to be. Those of you taking this out on the people at OE are gonna gain some major DSPs. LA are the ones that screwed the pooch on this because they pushed hard to get it out by Christmas or thereabouts, so please direct your ire at them. And it's not a horrible decision business-wise either. Or, to paraphrase Chris Rock, I'm not saying they should have done it, but I understand.

As far as I'm concerned, as someone who also works in the business, it's a marvel they had that much of a story together and had that many improvements and additions to the original within a year. These guys had a lot of great ideas, worked their butts off, and I'm sure that if they had a few more months KOTOR2 would have topped KOTOR1 easily.

That all being said, a content patch would be just what the doctor ordered but it seems LA does not want to give us anything for free. They're probably saying "keep it for KOTOR3, as long as you can make that within a year as well." At least they're not selling it for $15 like M$ did with the MechWarrior 4 Mech Paks. And what's really sad is KOTOR3 will probably flop and LA still won't learn their lesson:good games sell themselves no matter what time of the year it is.

All the same I'm still a die hard fan of the series because these games are the most addictive I've ever played. I just finished a near-20 hour marathon replaying KOTOR as full on DS, and I'm ready to take my show over to KOTOR2 for a DS replay as well.

So quit raggin on OE for something they had no control over; be thankful the game works for the most part. If consider yourself a fan of the series, I think OE and LA deserve a little slack for putting out an excellent game, and a mostly great game within one year of each other. Who knows, maybe someone at LA might actually think about the fans and try to make KOTOR3 as complete and as satisfying as possible. Starting off with the Exile and Revan together wouldn't be a bad idea all things considered. :D

I'm new to this whole RPG scene and not likely to play much outside the KOTOR series just because most of the other games don't grab you like this one does. I'm hoping whoever it is they have a bit more clout with LA than OE did so they can hold on to the game until it's done. And the list of quality companies that can stand toe to toe with LA on release dates and such, I'm sad to say, is a pretty small one.

If you assume that the majority of KotOR II players (meaning non-whingy, non-forum posting types) would like a third part to the series, who would you suggest do it if not OE? 

Bioware isn't an option.

(nor is Bethesda--less sprawl, more game please next time Bethesda!)

I'm not familar with the RPG scene in general, so I wouldn't know. I knew neither Bioware nor Obsidian before the KotOR games, so you are asking the wrong person.

But my question to you: would you pay for another game as unfinished as KotOR II? I'd rather not do it, personally.