Just Me Or Are the Scripts Horrible

Maybe it's just a simple change in the engine which Obsidian couldn't take from Bioware, but the character AI in STL is aweful. I remember being able to enter commands in all the characters combat queues in KotOR and having them executed. No longer is the case. The stationary script doesn't work... characters keep running through mines while having line of sight, being in range, and wielding ranged weapons. If I switch characters, it seems like all the commands I just entered get lost by the time I switch back if I unpause the game. I am writing right after a battle where the whole party ran through mines, go shot up, used unnecessary force powers and just ate crap basically, despite every effort of mine to stop it, including taking control during combat to try to stop them from running through mines. As soon as I control that guy, then the other guy runs through mines. Theres just no way to control the party except to play with one character.

Pissed me off enought to consider returning the game now, heck with finishing it if it's going to be this big of a pain. Never had this problem with KotOr... amazing. Now you know why game software companies switch names so often, it's so you cannot track the thieves who put out junk product over the years. Funny how companies like Blizzard seem to be able to stay around 10+ years. Let's just see how long Obsidian is able to last. My guess is not very unless an incredible patch for STL comes out.

Addendum:

Kreia on Jedi Support mode: many times have I switched to Kreia to see her combat queue full of Burst of Speed force power... only once every 40 sec would be fine.

Characters on Ranged setting still charge through minefields while having LOS to target.

Characters on Stationary mode charge through mines regularly, regardless of weapon in hand sometimes. though especially with melee weapon in hand.

Moral of Story: Don't smoke crack while making video games. STL so far is a huge letdown.

Yep, you aren't the first to notice this.

I found that if I swapped back to the characters repeatedly, I could manually walk them through the queue. For some reason, as you have outlined, the queue gets lost somewhere between when its entered and when its executed. But the queue is still there -- you can re-activate it by cancelling a single action and re-entering one: bingo, it's back.

From memory I could have each of the characters execute single commands simultaneous to each other, but longer action queues were ignored.

Obviously a bug.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I broke from the game this time (and I have a save of it) where I had left my main character to use medpacs on another during another run through of the brawl that initially inspired this thread. I don't give up that easy. Anyhow, I'm on Telos dealing with czerk mercs at their basecamp. My main character uses unarmed combat primarily and a bowcaster if needed. He's beating on some guy and I switch to heal another guy up like I said. A few combat rounds later, I return to main guy, and while unarmed, he has Rapid Shot queued up. I've also seen the bugger (try to) use Power Shot and Sniper Shot. What the result is, is a main character sitting there doing nothing but taking blaster shots. WTF? Now if I'm finding these problems a mere 3-4 hours into the game, do I really want to see what is ahead? Could I use my time better on another game? These are the questions running through my head right now.

I broke from the game this time (and I have a save of it) where I had left my main character to use medpacs on another during another run through of the brawl that initially inspired this thread. I don't give up that easy. Anyhow, I'm on Telos dealing with czerk mercs at their basecamp. My main character uses unarmed combat primarily and a bowcaster if needed.  He's beating on some guy and I switch to heal another guy up like I said. A few combat rounds later, I return to main guy, and while unarmed, he has Rapid Shot queued up. I've also seen the bugger (try to) use Power Shot and Sniper Shot. What the result is, is a main character sitting there doing nothing but taking blaster shots. WTF? Now if I'm finding these problems a mere 3-4 hours into the game, do I really want to see what is ahead? Could I use my time better on another game? These are the questions running through my head right now.

Unfortunately the combat system doesn't really affect the gameplay that much: as has been noted elsewhere on the forum, the bonuses gained due to the PC's level far outweigh the inherent bonuses from class, attribute and items. This means that as soon as your character reaches level twelve or so, you won't take more than two rounds to kill everything in the hostile party.

You have more to be concerned about with the rushed, linear ending to the game ... :)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I broke from the game this time (and I have a save of it) where I had left my main character to use medpacs on another during another run through of the brawl that initially inspired this thread. I don't give up that easy. Anyhow, I'm on Telos dealing with czerk mercs at their basecamp. My main character uses unarmed combat primarily and a bowcaster if needed.  He's beating on some guy and I switch to heal another guy up like I said. A few combat rounds later, I return to main guy, and while unarmed, he has Rapid Shot queued up. I've also seen the bugger (try to) use Power Shot and Sniper Shot. What the result is, is a main character sitting there doing nothing but taking blaster shots. WTF? Now if I'm finding these problems a mere 3-4 hours into the game, do I really want to see what is ahead? Could I use my time better on another game? These are the questions running through my head right now.

Unfortunately the combat system doesn't really affect the gameplay that much: as has been noted elsewhere on the forum, the bonuses gained due to the PC's level far outweigh the inherent bonuses from class, attribute and items. This means that as soon as your character reaches level twelve or so, you won't take more than two rounds to kill everything in the hostile party.

You have more to be concerned about with the rushed, linear ending to the game ... :)

The game had an ending???? I thought it just stopped and had a simple conversation that reminded me of thoose old "Choose you own adventure" books.

The game had an ending???? I thought it just stopped and had a simple conversation that reminded me of thoose old "Choose you own adventure" books.

Yes, KOTOR 2 had an ending, just not a very good one.

If you want a game that truly has no ending, try Max Payne 2 or Republic Commando.

If you want a game that truly has no ending, try Max Payne 2 or Republic Commando.

Never played Max Payne 2 and only played Republic Commando for about 15 minutes. How did the "not-endings" work in thoose?

resently I noticed such problems in KotOR1 too. My char with zalbars bowcaster tried to execute melee critical strike almost everytime I were switching to another character. I also started to notice some other strange bugs and things (like all attributes dropping down to 8 when you lvl up,and only game restart helps f. ex.),that I never had before I got KotOR 2 TSL installed..... I wonder if TSL could be the problem....

Never played Max Payne 2 and only played Republic Commando for about 15 minutes. How did the "not-endings" work in thoose?

Hmpf.... despite popular opinion,I liked Republic Commando.... well,at least single player part... though it was damn too short....

I just wish we could have alternative ending,where we can atctually go back for Sev.... it really sucked that we left him behind and I couldnt do a damn thing about it..... :thumbsup:

Actually I waas upset coz this loss so much,that I almost got drunk to ease the grief about his loss...

Statement: i have found the npcs to be most helpful in combat. especially Handmaiden.

Observation: ahh the way she leaps towards the enemy Duel silver lightsabre in hand killing in the blink of my eye, before i even manage to move, is so reassuring :thumbsup: she.. is a perfect fighter.

Statement: i have found the npcs to be most helpful in combat. especially Handmaiden.

Observation: ahh the way she leaps towards the enemy Duel silver lightsabre in hand killing in the blink of my eye, before i even manage to move, is so reassuring :) she..  is a perfect fighter.

Is it just me,or this guy is really annoying?

I mean... many (all?) of his post basically just useless flood... he stating basic things that every noob knows anyway... <_<

Observation: ahh the way she leaps towards the enemy Duel silver lightsabre in hand killing in the blink of my eye, before i even manage to move, is so reassuring :) she..  is a perfect fighter.

I mean... many (all?) of his post basically just useless flood... he stating basic things that every noob knows anyway... <_<

Mockery: oh no! someone doesnt agree to what i say! also they are supportive to obsidian! i do hope some minor catastrophe befalls this evil Ki Rin *sobs*

Mockery: oh no! someone doesnt agree to what i say! also they are supportive to obsidian! i do hope some minor catastrophe befalls this evil Ki Rin *sobs*

Not that I want to flame... just makes me wonder-where I was supportive to obsidian? point out plz.....

Not that I want to flame... just makes me wonder-where I was supportive to obsidian? point out plz.....

Clarification: i am sorry, i meant *I* was supporting obsidian. i love what they have done, and i couldnt careless about patches.. or little quirks.

resently I noticed such problems in KotOR1 too. My char with zalbars bowcaster tried to execute melee critical strike almost everytime I were switching to another character.  I also started to notice some other strange bugs and things (like all attributes dropping down to 8 when you lvl up,and only game restart helps f. ex.),that I never had before I got KotOR 2 TSL installed.....    I wonder if TSL could be the problem....

I doubt that having KotOR II installed is causing any problems in the first game. Most of the problems you've mentioned were either in K1 as it shipped or added by the patches. It's quite common in K1 for an NPC to use a combat feat they don't have or to use a lesser variant of one of their force powers.I found that the 1.03 patch really bugged the combat scripting for the NPCs and rolled back to the 1.02 patch which alleviated many of my problems.

resently I noticed such problems in KotOR1 too. My char with zalbars bowcaster tried to execute melee critical strike almost everytime I were switching to another character.  I also started to notice some other strange bugs and things (like all attributes dropping down to 8 when you lvl up,and only game restart helps f. ex.),that I never had before I got KotOR 2 TSL installed.....    I wonder if TSL could be the problem....

I doubt that having KotOR II installed in is causing any problems in the first game. Most of the problems you've mentioned were either in K1 as it shipped or added by the patches. It's quite common in K1 for an NPC to use a combat feat they don't have or to use a lesser variant of one of their force powers.I found that the 1.03 patch really bugged the combat scripting for the NPCs and rolled back to the 1.02 patch which alleviated many of my problems.

Well,I agree that its very unlikely that K2 has anything to do with problems in K1.... its just that strange feeling.... I never got such problems,when played K1 year ago.... it was 1.03 too..... btw,I just read fixlog for K1,and found out that I have some bugs that were supposed to be fixed in 1.01+ .... its just weird i started to get them now.... anyway,I thinking about reinstalling the game,and then patching it through 1.01,and 1.02 before applying 1.03.... not that I really belive this might help somehow,but at least it increase my peace of mind :)

I quite liked Max Payne 2: I certainly didn't feel as ripped off when I finished that game as when I finished KotOR2. Max was "Film Noir" -- not your usual Hollywood sacharine plot. It also finished in such a way as to bring you neatly back to a position where it felt quite natural to restart the game -- quite an achievement to accomplish, without souring the whole enterprise and seeming boring and corny.

It felt like you were living an eternal nightmare. It also had an innovative combat system (bullet time) that enhanced the whole experience, together with superlative character developoment and plot! So, yeas, in a sense it had no end, but that was by (clever) design. :)

KotOR2 wishes it had an end as good as Max Payne 2.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

MP2: You kill some generic bad guy in a bunker, Max's love interest dies (strangely, I didn't care), end credits roll.

RC: You blow up some building, one of your team dies (not-so-strangely, I still didn't care since they can just grow another one), brief cutscene with your dropship leaving, end credits roll.

Since I just finished it, I can now comment on Half-Life 2's ending, which is far more anti-climatic, and leaves far more loose ends and unanswered questions and with far less sense of accomplishment than KOTOR 2's.

In K2, Kreia is at least a somewhat worthy antagonist, and there's some hint as to what happens to you, the other characters, and the places you've visited. It's a rushed ending that left a lot unresolved, but it is an ending.

KOTOR 2's ending may be disappointing, but it's not that bad compared to many other games out there.

MP2: You kill some generic bad guy in a bunker, Max's love interest dies (strangely, I didn't care), end credits roll.

RC: You blow up some building, one of your team dies (not-so-strangely, I still didn't care since they can just grow another one), brief cutscene with your dropship leaving, end credits roll.

Since I just finished it, I can now comment on Half-Life 2's ending, which is far more anti-climatic, and leaves far more loose ends and unanswered questions and with far less sense of accomplishment than KOTOR 2's.

In K2, Kreia is at least a somewhat worthy antagonist, and there's some hint as to what happens to you, the other characters, and the places you've visited. It's a rushed ending that left a lot unresolved, but it is an ending.

KOTOR 2's ending may be disappointing, but it's not that bad compared to many other games out there.

Yes, Half-Life 2 has a dangling denouement (a cliff-hanger, if you will). It is pretty clear from the dialogue and cut scenes that there is more story to be rolled out. (And, surprise!, there's an expansion due out next week.)

I would like to have the game be twice (heck -- why not a hundred times) as long, but the game represented a significant playing experience.

It was a long game, with many different concepts explored (team play, co-op play with alien species, different types of weapons: heck they even invented the gravity gun) and -- MOST IMPORTANTLY -- a complete and immersive experience that maximized the suspension of disbelief.

Also, Half-Life community were actually responsible for the CounterStrike mod, which has become the de facto online multiplayer interaction since it's release five years ago; not much chance of that with Lucas Arts' current attitude to the community and copyright infringement.

Would that KotOR2 did half of that.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT