Problem with Install

I borrowed the game from a friend (Original, authentic CDs...not copies or anything) and the game installed and played fine on his computer. However, when I try to install it on my computer, I encounter an error about an "incorrect function," and the installed closes. This is usually a few minutes into the installation (while still on disc 1) and occurs usually (I think) when its installing a file with "sounds.bif" in the file name.

I've already received a few suggestions on other forums, none of which worked. The suggestions were to attempt to install in Safe Mode, to make my temporary folder fixed rather than dynamic, and to disable some of my RAM to check if it was faulty.

Try copying disks 2, 3 and 4 to your hard drive, and installing from there.

I spent from 8-12 hours trying to get my copy to install off the disks, and I was unsuccessful each of 3 different times.

(I think I encountered trouble at the same time as well, that sounds.bif file)

Then, I copied the disks and tried installing from there. It took less than 2 hours and I've been running the game flawlessly ever since.

Ok, the file that it seems to be having a problem with isn't the actual sounds.bif file, but the data2.cab file. And it won't let me transfer it to the harddrive either by taking it directly off the CD.

Seeing as it installed on my friend's computer (and my dad's when I tried it on his), I'm lead to think it might be an incompatibility issue with my CD-ROM Drive with the disc, perhaps, but that seems unlikely as I have two different CD-ROM Drives on this computer, and it isn't working on either of them.