A "finished" verson of KoTOR2 from Obsidian?

I have just recently completed KoTOR2 (although I have not played KoTOR 1) and I found it rather incomplete. After reading a few posts here, I found out that my impression on this matter was correct, the classic publisher pushing it done early.

If I remember it right, the same has happened to Icewind Dale, and they later did an over 100mb patch (or 170, in thouse days, thats a lot) for the players to download.

I wonder if the same would happen to KOTOR2?

Obsidian is producing a patch which will fix technical problems only. They asked LucasArts for money to produce a 'content patch' that would flesh out the story at the end and add extra areas to the game, but this was refused.

Better endings were cut from the game and the material was left in files on the game disks. A group of modders is busy piecing these back together, and there will be a 'cut endings' mod available in the future.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thanks for the reply. It is a shame indeed, but I always thought that with IWD, that lcontent patch was given to the community for free? May be I am wrong about this.

Just a quick question: My game oftern crash out from the menu screen, it will restart the whole PC, is that a known bug?

I don't know if it's a common bug, I never had it.

You never played Kotor1 you say ? You really should go buy it.

Why? Is it a lot better?

IMO the story isn't better.

However, the overall feel of the game is better, since it's complete and very polished. Plus, it gives you a better insight into the events of Kotor2.

If I remember it right, the same has happened to Icewind Dale, and they later did an over  100mb patch (or 170, in thouse days, thats a lot) for the players to download.

If you mean Trials of the Luremaster, that isn't a similar case at all. There were complaints that not Icewind Dale itself but the Heart of Winter expansion was too short. So they released more content for free as the Trials of the Luremaster expansion.

Why? Is it a lot better?

However, the overall feel of the game is better, since it's complete and very polished. Plus, it gives you a better insight into the events of Kotor2.

Yes, it is a lot better. I played through the first one about a dozen times end-to-end, and many more times just starting saves and playing parts. Don't think it's perfect, though -- it isn't -- part of the hype for the sequel was the anticipation of circumventing the shortcomings of the first. Ironically, the shortcomings of the second far outweigh the shortcomings of the first, however.

All debate about which KotOR game is best notwithstanding; there is not a lot of choice when it comes to sci-fi RPGs in the games market, so it certainly is worth a play. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Why? Is it a lot better?

Well, KotOR 1 has an ending so it is better. Bioware spent a year just writing the story. That is the same amount of time OE had for whole job of making KotOR 2. Given the short time frame OE was given ( why did they agree to it? ), they should have cut out all the engine enhancements and made a complete story and if time allowed add robes and crap like that after you have a story that includes and ending in it.

Why? Is it a lot better?

Yes, it is a lot better. I played through the first one about a dozen times end-to-end, and many more times just starting saves and playing parts. Don't think it's perfect, though -- it isn't -- part of the hype for the sequel was the anticipation of circumventing the shortcomings of the first. Ironically, the shortcomings of the second far outweigh the shortcomings of the first, however.

All debate about which KotOR game is best notwithstanding; there is not a lot of choice when it comes to sci-fi RPGs in the games market, so it certainly is worth a play. :thumbsup:

True, not alot of Sci-Fi RPGs but, doesn't Jade Empire look sweet?

I like them both, but I do like K1 better - Not because of the story, but because of the great outdoor levels. In K2 I feel trapped with all the city levels - K2 Onderon is a great however, it has everything I like, bit small, but still great.

I usually prefer the old Black Isle games over Bioware stuff but this time I have to vote for KotOR I. KotOR II feels so horribly unfinished, and I don't even mean the endings or the technical bugs but the whole game has an aura of being rushed at least 6 months too early. KotOR II might have been a better game with better story but it's useless to speculate because the game we have is broken by design. I never managed to finish KotOR I more than once but it felt far more satisfying experience due to Bioware having the time to finish it properly.

Be sure to play it at least once. As others have pointed out it is very cheap by now and the original planets like Dantooine and Koriban are a lot better in K1, just don't expect a great original story in KotOR I. It is good mainstream fun, but far from the quality of Obsidian's writing.

It is good mainstream fun, but far from the quality of Obsidian's writing.

Not trying to be a jerk but,.. What example's of Obsidian Entertainment's writing skills do we have? I thought there were only three people or so from Blask Isle there. That is not really an example of how well OE writes. In my mind, we only have KotOR 2 as an example of OE writing skills and it is not very good.

It's sad that no real content patch will ever come. The game so unfinished, that the light from the Star unfinished would take 50 bajillion years to reach the Earth.

Definitly want another company to do KOTOR 3, who has the same Bioware,"It's going to be finished when it's finished," mentality, so that when I buy it I'll know I'm buying a complete game.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

It's sad that no real content patch will ever come. The game so unfinished, that the light from the Star unfinished would take 50 bajillion years to reach the Earth.

Definitly want another company to do KOTOR 3, who has the same Bioware,"It's going to be finished when it's finished," mentality, so that when I buy it I'll know I'm buying a complete game.

It has been discussed to death but I don't think that Obsidian had a say on when to finish the game. Bioware is lucky enough that they are a very big and influential by now and probably cannot be bossed arount that easily.

By the way, there are more then 3 Black Isle people working at Obsidian. I remember that Feargus mentioned once that roughly half of the staff are ex-Black Islers and Chris Avellone is one of the three people which were heavily responsible for Torment. I felt the same quality in KotOR II, but as with everything else most character arcs are plain uncomplete and come to a grinding halt after the first few conversations. Nevertheless, characters like Kreia which are less incomplete were a real joy to converse with. In my opinion even the half-finished NPCs were far more enjoyable than anything Bioware devised (minus Joyee).

Different tastes, I guess. :)

It has been discussed to death but I don't think that Obsidian had a say on when to finish the game. Bioware is lucky enough that they are a very big and influential by now and probably cannot be bossed arount that easily.

By the way, there are more then 3 Black Isle people working at Obsidian. I remember that Feargus mentioned once that roughly half of the staff are ex-Black Islers and Chris Avellone is one of the three people which were heavily responsible for Torment. I felt the same quality in KotOR II, but as with everything else most character arcs are plain uncomplete and come to a grinding halt after the first few conversations. Nevertheless, characters like Kreia which are less incomplete were a real joy to converse with. In my opinion even the half-finished NPCs were far more enjoyable than anything Bioware devised (minus Joyee).

Different tastes, I guess. :)

I never played PS:Torment but I have seen it at Fry's for $2.00 or something like that. As much as people mention it, I might have to pick it up.

I never played PS:Torment but I have seen it at Fry's for $2.00 or something like that. As much as people mention it, I might have to pick it up.

You shouldn't mind reading a LOT. Torment is almost an interactive novel with a refreshingly original setting and the most developed NPCs which I know of. Most praise and confidence in Obsidian is actually based upon Torment and to a lesser extent on the Icewind Dale series, especially one.

If some of the Obsidian stuff could produce games of such high quality I refuse to give them up right away and am willing to give them the benefit of doubt for now. If they manage to fail equally with NwN 2 I might reconsider my attitude. :)

You shouldn't mind reading a LOT. Torment is almost an interactive novel with a refreshingly original setting and the most developed NPCs which I know of. Most praise and confidence in Obsidian is actually based upon Torment and to a lesser extent on the Icewind Dale series, especially one.

If some of the Obsidian stuff could produce games of such high quality I refuse to give them up right away and am willing to give them the benefit of doubt for now. If they manage to fail equally with NwN 2 I might reconsider my attitude. :)

Well PS:Torment must be great if people are willing to give OE a pass on KotOR2 because in my honest opinion KotOR2 is pretty bad in its current state. For NWN2, based on what I have seen from OE, it will be better than the OC but worse than Hordes of the Underdark. Hope I am wrong.

Obsidian is producing a patch which will fix technical problems only.  They asked LucasArts for money to produce a 'content patch' that would flesh out the story at the end and add extra areas to the game, but this was refused.

Typical LA. All they care about is Quanity.

Guest MacleodCorp

Sometimes, I think Lucas Arts cares about their customers, and I am sure they hear your opinion. Problem will go away in the near future when they release that patch... Don't worry! Everything will work out!