SHADOWRUN

What do you mean, "too late"?

Have they given detail on it yet?

It would work if they went a Deus Ex/VTM:Bloodlines route.

I don't think they intend it to be anything other than a FPS. Which is a shame really.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

What do you mean, "too late"?

Have they given detail on it yet?

It would work if they went a Deus Ex/VTM:Bloodlines route.

I don't think they intend it to be anything other than a FPS. Which is a shame really.

A terrible shame.

Oh well though, my money will stay with me and not go to them if that's what they do.

I still don't understand how a FPS can in any way properly represent the genre.

How are Physical Adepts, Shamans, Mages, Deckers, Riggers or most any of the characters represented in such a game?

FPS can have melee combat (which would cover Physical Adepts)

Shamans/Mages: Hello, who needs a gun :p

Deckers: Again if it's built like DE Deckers could do a lot.

Riggers: DE has a rigger "mod" for JC. Riggers would work well too.

A Shadowrun game built in a DE mould would not only work, it'd probably rock :ermm:

They didn't annouce a FPS/RPG hybrid.  They announced a FPS.

Wasn't Dues Ex announced as a FPS?

Deus Ex was announced as a FPS RPG hybrid.

This "Shadowrun" game on the Xbox2 will apparently be just a pure FPS, however .. The article stated that Shadowrun will be a FPS based on the RPG.. not that it will be a FPS/RPG hybrid.

image002.gifLancer

How are Physical Adepts, Shamans, Mages, Deckers, Riggers or most any of the characters represented in such a game?

Shamans/Mages: Hello, who needs a gun :p

A Shadowrun game built in a DE mould would not only work, it'd probably rock :ermm:

But if it is an FPS without the "RPG" it won't appeal to us as much.. Maybe to the hypothetical "average" gamer but not to me, anyhow.

image002.gifLancer

They didn't annouce a FPS/RPG hybrid.  They announced a FPS.

Wasn't Dues Ex announced as a FPS?

Deus Ex was announced as a FPS RPG hybrid.

This "Shadowrun" game on the Xbox2 will apparently be just a pure FPS, however .. The article stated that Shadowrun will be a FPS based on the RPG.. not that it will be a FPS/RPG hybrid.

Sucktastic :(

Shamans/Mages: Hello, who needs a gun :(

A Shadowrun game built in a DE mould would not only work, it'd probably rock :)

But if it is an FPS without the "RPG" it won't appeal to us as much.. Maybe to the hypothetical "average" gamer but not to me, anyhow.

If this is the case, I'll just hate M$ all the more. :ph34r:

Ok, let's keep in mind this is a very small snippet of information. This guy is just some FASA animator who clearly know nothing about Shadowrun. This isn't a formal announcement about Shadowrun, so it's hard to predict what type of game it really is. This animator may just not know much about the game mechanics. Heck, you can call Dues Ex, Vampire: Bloodlines, and Morrowind a FPS because you play in a first person, and you shoot things.

I'm going to hold out hope. I'm still upset it won't be a traditional RPG, but I think a Dues Ex style game could be very promising in the Shadowrun world.

PS: The SNES version of Shadowrun was awesome!

A modern Shadowrun RPG should follow PnP rules at least as closely as the Sega version did without the arbitrary events and encounters.

A Deus Ex-style Shadowrun game could work if on the console. On a PC, I wouldn't mind a combat system similar to KOTOR's. If isometric view, I would prefer turn-based combat similar to Fallout's.

However, I do really think that a FPP is pound for pound just a better view for pure immersion than an isometric view is. If the FPS-RPG can evolve to the point where it offers all the tactics/strategy that isometric RPGs have, then this would lead to the next RPG revolution.

That said, I'd much prefer it to be on the PC rather than on a console because that market appeals to gamers with a different mindset altogether.

image002.gifLancer

The SEGA Shadowrun was more faithful, but I wouldn't call it better.

The SNES storyline was admittedly more compact but it wasn't a very good one IMHO. The key word dialogue system was atrocious. Matrix combat was weak compared to the SEGA's.

The SNES version felt like an adventure game with scattered RPG elements whereas the SEGA's was a RPG in every sense of the word.

image002.gifLancer

The SNES version had the same skills, attributes and karma based character development.

The SEGA version consisted mainly of random instanced missions that you repeated into monotony. Is that what you call more of a true RPG?

In both versions you had to point in the right direction to shoot something, but your firearms skill governed whether or not you succeeded in hitting.

The SNES version had the same skills, attributes and karma based character development.

No it didn't, Far from it. At very best, the character development was a watered-down version of the SEGA's.

The SEGA had three templates you could choose from whereas in the SNES version you didn't have a choice of character whatsoever.The SNES version also had only like 4 attributes and started you off with 2 skills. The SEGA version had all 8 attributes from the PnP RPG plus a dozen skills which allowed for a much greater degree of customization.

Matrix combat in the SNES version was far inferior to the Genesis' and in the SNES version the cyberdeck wasn't customizable. The SEGA's had a very satisfying matrix combat and allowed for much greater customizability of your cyberdeck with a great range of attack/defense programs all of which were upgradeable.

The SEGA version consisted mainly of random instanced missions that you repeated into monotony.  Is that what you call more of a true RPG?

Do you call only having a meager 4 attributes and starting with 2 skills and lack of customizability more of a true RPG?

The SEGA version was also a very non-linear game allowing you to do whatever you want whenever you want. The SNES' was painfully linear in comparison.

And the SNES version's keyword dialogue system was probably the worst I have ever seen.

image002.gifLancer

Didn't you also defend GURPS 4 attributes?

Apparetly Diablo is a true RPG with its random instinced quests and dungeons as well.

The SNES dialogue system was basically the same as one used in games like Morrowind, which won tons of Game of the Year awards. I have seen worse.