I'm done. My recommendation.

I have really no interest in playing super hero games.

That is cool. We all have different tastes when it comes to entertainment, some people actually liked KotOR 2, but I would download the demo before I wrote it off totally. The only reason I ever tried the game was because it was recommended and I am glad I did.

I agree! Try the demo before you write the game off!

The demo contains one full length mission with a pretty cool hero (Tombstone) and a really tough boss (Fortissimo)... Also you can play online multi-player games with the demo. Definitely worth the download!

Get the demo here!

Well, Lucas Arts is the one holding up the patch, not Obsidian.  Their part of the patch is done and they can't release it without LucasArts' permission.  If you think that the patch is taking to long, complain to LucasArts and not Obsidian.  Obsidian has done their contractual duty to LucasArts and they wanted to do more but LucasArts said no.  LucasArts, it looks like, to support KotOR 2 no more than this one patch and even then it is sketchy.

I hope Obsidian never deals with LucasArts ever again, for it seems they are a bunch of unreasonable jerks that don't give a crap about supporting their games.  Just remember, it is the developer's responsibility to make the game.  It is the publisher's responsibility to support the game.  Obsidian did their best for the time they had.  LucasArts is the one failing now.

Obsidian is th eone that agreed to the timeline and money to make game and didn't come thru by that allotment. they are solely to blame and even have admitted their mistake and said they'll do better next time.... As far as the patch goes it isn't Up to LA to get it out and give permission... The problem is they aren't accepting it because the bugs haven't been fixed yet. Thus Obsidian has to code some more and send them another patch to give permission that they actually fixed something but the problem is that they haven't fixed the main issues yet and thus no patch being accepted/released.

How long will it take to get it right? I for one will not buy another obsidian game until gamer reviews come in again. I used to think Obsidian was a good game maker now.... with three new RPGs coming out soon I doubt I'll play kotor 2 again.

Well... with the money I got back, like a #$(*! moron.. I bought Kotor II.

It doesn't work. After I make a new character and press the button to go on, a loading screen comes up that never finishes.

It sort of happenned to me. The loading screens take about 10 minutes andI can't make quiksaves. I can only rely on autosaves. <_<

But unlike you I was actually able to play trough the whole game once without finding any glitches whatsoever. I was ready to play again and BAM! Surprise! I am f****d. I reinstalled the game and it still doesn't work. Guess what LA has to say about my problem? You should check your specs. IDIOTS, I PLAYED THE FREACKING GAME WITH NO PROBLEMS ONCE!!!!! How come all of the sudden my system is not enough anymore?!

I am never buying anything from Obsidian or Lucas Arts ever again.

Obsidian is th eone that agreed to the timeline and money to make game and didn't come thru by that allotment.

Not that simple

they are solely to blame and even have admitted their mistake and said they'll do better next time....

Eh?

As far as the patch goes it isn't Up to LA to get it out and give permission... The problem is they aren't accepting it because the bugs haven't been fixed yet. Thus Obsidian has to code some more and send them another patch to give permission that they actually fixed something but the problem is that they haven't fixed the main issues yet and thus no patch being accepted/released.

Whoever told you this is wrong.

SiO2

Obsidian is th eone that agreed to the timeline and money to make game and didn't come thru by that allotment.

Not that simple

they are solely to blame and even have admitted their mistake and said they'll do better next time....

Eh?

As far as the patch goes it isn't Up to LA to get it out and give permission... The problem is they aren't accepting it because the bugs haven't been fixed yet. Thus Obsidian has to code some more and send them another patch to give permission that they actually fixed something but the problem is that they haven't fixed the main issues yet and thus no patch being accepted/released.

Ouch, shot down. HAH!

i don't believe the developers no more.

well, the game is gathering dust on my shelf of other boring and beta -phased games (Kotor II in my opinion is more of a beta release. lol)

Well, this patch had better be something good, because if this patch just fixes some spelling and grammer mistakes, i am gonna be really peed.

Not that simple

Eh?

Wow! John Morgan REALLY set things straight, didn

With all due respect, John: TSL was rushed out for Xbox for the Christmas sales.

The RPGVault article states:

"In the end, we moved the Xbox ship date by about a month from early November to early December, and we decided to ship all the other versions (PC and international versions) in February 2005. We needed that time to polish and finish up some of the more arduous portions of the game."

That argument would have had merit, if the PC and International Xbox versions hadn't been revealed to have exactly the same bugs/issues as the US Xbox version. And in the case of the PC version; more bugs.

I do not mean to flame, but I am left seriously wondering exactly what you at Obsidian were doing those two months for this to happen. Because it was not polish the game; in fact: In many sections the PC textures are inconsistant in terms of quality.

An example would be the Mandalorian shuttle you use to get from Dxun to Onderon: When the shuttle is docked on Dxun, it will show up as high-res textures with the engine grill clearly visable in the front of the ship. However: when you see the same shuttle in the hangar on Onderon, the same part of the ship will just be a black low-res chunk. I played through this section multiple times, using various nVidia driver versions, and I had all the game settings on highest quality, this issue was reproducable in every playthrough.

The issue itself isn't a big one, but it is symptomatic of the lack of polish TSL recieved: And as a PC gamer I am seriously left to wonder if anything at all was done to the PC version in the two months, since it looked and ran near identically to the NTSC Xbox version I aquired in December. PC gamers were made to wait two months extra; for what, I ask? The PC version featured no additional content, nor bugfixes.

With all due respect, John: TSL was rushed out for Xbox for the Christmas sales.

I do not mean to flame, but I am left seriously wondering exactly what you at Obsidian were doing those two months for this to happen. Because it was not polish the game; in fact: In many sections the PC textures are inconsistant in terms of quality.

An example would be the Mandalorian shuttle you use to get from Dxun to Onderon: When the shuttle is docked on Dxun, it will show up as high-res textures with the engine grill clearly visable in the front of the ship. However: when you see the same shuttle in the hangar on Onderon, the same part of the ship will just be a black low-res chunk. I played through this section multiple times, using various nVidia driver versions, and I had all the game settings on highest quality, this issue was reproducable in every playthrough.

The issue itself isn't a big one, but it is symptomatic of the lack of polish TSL recieved: And as a PC gamer I am seriously left to wonder if anything at all was done to the PC version in the two months, since it looked and ran near identically to the NTSC Xbox version I aquired in December.  PC gamers were made to wait two months extra; for what, I ask? The PC version featured no additional content, nor bugfixes.

I completely agree with this.

In one of the tutorial pop-ups on the first level, after you wake up, it actually reads, "Use the up and down arrows on the D-Pad to bash the door open". The D-Pad exists on an XBox controller. I know. I have an XBox!

It may seem small and nitpicky, but it is this attention to the small details that generally build up and just make it seem like you guys didn't care about the PC version that much... Which, with console sales being the market leader, doesn't surprise me...But that is still no excuse in my opinion to not polish the game up even in these little areas.

To be honest, at this point, I don't know what else there is to say.

You want us to feel sorry for you for rushing a game that was clearly never even properly QA tested and is in fact a beta-type release as far as technical and even gameplay (Defense stats not stacking!) elements go?

Maybe it wasn't your fault... But you know just as we do you are going to get the brunt of the blame even if it is mostly LA's fault because LA is one of those corporations that "walks on water" and nothing a few gamers like us say is going to put a dent in their "flawless" *cough, cough* reputation. At least as an industry leader.

And for reference, I am a 30 year old, full-time working consumer who does "have a life" and am not some kid who likes to spam forums on his lunch break between first and second period if you're wondering.

I also understand that people like yourself, John Morgan, may have a family to support and that you are only trying to do your best in a business that isn't about games anymore, but about the bottom line.

However, there comes a point to where someone on your end needs to draw the line and say, "Hey. There is no way we can release this game in the time alloted and have it be a quality game. Either give or more time... Or find someone else". Maybe this isn't a realistic solution, but I would at least hope that kind of spirit still exists in this industry (that I have no insider knowledge about; I am just a gamer).

On the flip side... I'm also supposed to feel sorry for corporations like OE who and LA demand $50 for a product that isn't even FINISHED -- in every sense of the word -- And who then have the gual to try and make me (us) feel bad for criticising you on your own forums? Hmm...

Another "soon" regarding the patch. AKA add another month to the wait ;)

Soon is supposed to mean SOON FYI. Not soon, as in posting soon on a web site so that 1 (Hi kirottu) out of 200 posters here actually believe it. Soon to me is 1-2 weeks tops. Let's see how long this soon turns out to be...

And BTW kirottu, this isn't about releasing a patch anymore. It's about the length of time it took for their "soon" to materialize. So please don't post any "I told you so" messages when the patch is finally released 2 months from now. They dropped the ball with this game/patch.

"There's also a fascinating postmortem written by one of our design staff that is being published in a gaming magazine. I'd be happy to get you the exact issue and publication date when I get back into the office tomorrow."

I remember there used to be some talk about you guys not being in the position to afford to be "trouble" for publishers. That sounds like "trouble" to me. You can afford it now or is my memory bonkers?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!