I'm done. My recommendation.

So.. I know a guy who works at EB. With his help, I was able to actually return a PC game. The game was massive assault: domination. They allowed me to return it because the game's copy protection, Star Force, totally wrecked my computer.

Well... with the money I got back, like a #$(*! moron.. I bought Kotor II.

It doesn't work. After I make a new character and press the button to go on, a loading screen comes up that never finishes.

I came to the forums to find out if there was a fix, or what is up with a patch.

Half you guys are sitting around talking about how there's never going to be a patch. The rest are argueing about who's fault it is the game is so buggy, unpatched, yada yada.

Y'know what. ($&!(&$ PC games. I'm tired of this, so many games have been released recently that don't even come close to working. Sooner or later other people are going to do what I'm gonna do.

I'm done buying pc games.

I'm sick of being conned. When you buy something, it's supposed to work.

Y'know what else. I don't have to be ripped off by you. In fact.. I can rip you off. That's right, the technology exists. Consider yourself cut off.

Y'know what. ($&!(&$ PC games. I'm tired of this, so many games have been released recently that don't even come close to working.  Sooner or later other people are going to do what I'm gonna do.

I'm sick of being conned.  When you buy something, it's supposed to work.

Hey if you want to play a NEW game, try Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich it actually WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While you're at it, cruse the bargain bin and get Freedom Force too! Those are great games by a developer that CARES about making QUALITY games for PC....

Lotsa mods too!

Find GOOD PC games here!

;)

I should point out that in this case the console version of the same game has the exact same bugs and glitches as the PC version. Stop by the Xbox forum, you'll find that the Xbox version runs with a poor framerate and is littered with bugs as well.

While I too would prefer my games to work out of the box, at least a PC game *can* be patched, and despite it all; I do believe it will be, with time. Plus: In the case of KotOR2, having the PC version allows you to install alot of cool mods, that can help improve the gaming experience, and restore huge portions of cut material. Material that would make this game shine.

I should point out that in this case the console version of the same game has the exact same bugs and glitches as the PC version. Stop by the Xbox forum, you'll find that the Xbox version runs with a poor framerate and is littered with bugs as well.

While I too would prefer my games to work out of the box, at least a PC game *can* be patched, and despite it all; I do believe it will be, with time. Plus: In the case of KotOR2, having the PC version allows you to install alot of cool mods, that can help improve the gaming experience, and restore huge portions of cut material. Material that would make this game shine.

This is true (I also have the XBox version along with PC).

However... The big problem is that this game has run its course. Peak sales are over and I'd make a safe bet that a good 99.9% of people still posting here (myself included) have already finished the game on both sides (LS/DS) and now could care less.

So, if persons like me could "care less" then why am I still here?

Because of exactly what the first and second posters said:

I paid good money for this game and I want a WORKING game -- Let alone the fact that the game is basically unfinished in terms of its artistic (vs. technical) content as well.

However, the alternative is console games and while I don't have a "PC games are better than consoles" attitude like a lot of gamers do... I will admit that PC games are usually more complex in terms of content due to the hardware that consoles don't have and this aspect appeals to me more than console games per se.

Also...

It makes me laugh when game companies wonder why game piracy is flourishing.

Duh.

KOTOR 2 and other games (Vampire: BL) are prime examples. Who in their right mind -- if they did their reaseach -- Would buy games that aren't finished and that have poor post-sales customer support?

At least if a game is pirated, the user knows they aren't going to get any post-sales support. How ironic is that considering those who actually buy games are left with the same kind shoddy product and post-sales support as those who pirate? Hmm....

It makes me laugh when game companies wonder why game piracy is flourishing.

Duh.

KOTOR 2 and other games (Vampire: BL) are prime examples. Who in their right mind -- if they did their reaseach -- Would buy games that aren't finished and that have poor post-sales customer support?

At least if a game is pirated, the user knows they aren't going to get any post-sales support. How ironic is that considering those who actually buy games are left with the same kind shoddy product and post-sales support as those who pirate? Hmm....

Of course, paying customers don't expect the post-sales support of custodian arrest and/or a hefty fine...

Hey if you want to play a NEW game, try Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich it actually WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While you're at it, cruse the bargain bin and get Freedom Force too!  Those are great games by a developer that CARES about making QUALITY games for PC....

I agree. Irrational Games is a terrific game developer!

System Shock 2, Freedom Force, Tribes: Vengeance, SWAT 4... all wildly different genres, and yet all polished and with awesome gameplay. Plus, their games all feature great stories and characterizations, very much like Bioware's paradigm.

Developers like Irrational Games need to be supported. Go buy Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich, it's a lot of fun.

They even self-funded and self-published it, so that no publisher could meddle with their designs and force them to rush it (they broke ties with EA over it). That tells you a lot about their passion for PC games!

Y'know what. ($&!(&$ PC games. I'm tired of this, so many games have been released recently that don't even come close to working.  Sooner or later other people are going to do what I'm gonna do.

I'm sick of being conned.  When you buy something, it's supposed to work.

Hey if you want to play a NEW game, try Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich it actually WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While you're at it, cruse the bargain bin and get Freedom Force too! Those are great games by a developer that CARES about making QUALITY games for PC....

Lotsa mods too!

Find GOOD PC games here!

:thumbsup:

Freedom Force vs The Third Reich is indeed a good game. I have not encountered a single bug in the game either. Oh, and while I have not finished it, I am sure they put an ending in the game.

This makes me question the hardware of those who can't run the game.

My AthlonXP 2500/Geforce 6800GT/1gb ram/MSI nForce II Ultra mainboard system loves this game.

I've played for many hours on end now and have yet to see it crash, become stuck or have anything go wrong with it, whatesoever.

All this and the grapgics settings are maxxed out and running at 1280x1024 with 4xAA 8xAniso. Butter smooth, almost all the time. This is with v-sync, even.

I love this game, and can't wait to start on my Dark Side character.

Guest MacleodCorp

I have allready given up. Since the game is flaud, and I am beginning to get tired of it, I will be returning it tomorrow. At least I can get some money on the exchange. I was told I can get at least $30 back. Loosing $20 on a game that will never be fixed is useless. I gave Lucas Arts and Obsidian enough time to deal with it... Game Over!

I am done buying Obsidian and Lucas Arts games!

So there's approximately 500+ users complaining about the game being buggy, and the patch taking too long. Then there's one Obsidian fanboy called kirottu claiming that the patch announced one month ago will be released soon.

Who should I believe?

:(

So there's approximately 500+ users complaining about the game being buggy, and the patch taking too long.  Then there's one Obsidian fanboy called kirottu claiming that the patch announced one month ago will be released soon.

Who should I believe?

:)

Well, Lucas Arts is the one holding up the patch, not Obsidian. Their part of the patch is done and they can't release it without LucasArts' permission. If you think that the patch is taking to long, complain to LucasArts and not Obsidian. Obsidian has done their contractual duty to LucasArts and they wanted to do more but LucasArts said no. LucasArts, it looks like, to support KotOR 2 no more than this one patch and even then it is sketchy.

I hope Obsidian never deals with LucasArts ever again, for it seems they are a bunch of unreasonable jerks that don't give a crap about supporting their games. Just remember, it is the developer's responsibility to make the game. It is the publisher's responsibility to support the game. Obsidian did their best for the time they had. LucasArts is the one failing now.

Harvey

ShockandAwe, and I have the same problem, except when I start the game, the load screen finishes then goes black, then freezes when I have the game on one certain setting, or if I have the settings differently it minimizes the game with a low resolution and hangs there.

Screw LucasArts. I was going to buy Lego Star Wars, but feh, they just lost a customer. I'll still get the game though. Just in a different way. *Hugs Bittorrent*

You'd think that they might reward the people that BUY the game with something that isn't complete crap, but I guess not. I'll probably still give Obsidian a shot at Neverwinter 2 when that comes out, but never anything from LucasArts... EVER.

Well, goodbye, LucasArts. Blow me.

pfft to the people who say they are done with PC games. yeah watever. ill continue getting them. the Future is INDIE DEVELOPERS!. kotor 2 beaten. now lock in storage for many years to come.

This would be all fine and dandy, but in the real world of PC Game development... Big publishers are "Gods" right now and gobbling up small "indie" dev houses and monopolizing the games market and these small dev houses have no choice BUT to go along with this or they will be shut out of the mainstream distribution system.

I know you'll probably ask... How does Bioware and a few others (Valve; Irrational Games; etc.) do it?

It all comes down how they manage their success. Bioware took the capital from their previous hits and just said, "No. We are NOT going to be held to a publisher and are going to publish it ourselves".

Most of these indie developers don't really know how to leverage the resources they have and often start up with a bad business plan from the start, I.E. Troika is a prime example.

So, while I wish the reality of smaller dev houses was more prevelant, realistically, they also don't have the amount of capital -- both financial and experience wise -- To really do what they want to do in this day and age and we are stuck with a Catch-22.

*shrugs* I just refuse to play this game until they put out a patch. I have many other games to play while I wait, so I'm not furious. I'm actually playing Kotor 1 again and I'm having a blast with it. I played this game the day I got it, then stopped. I didn't encounter many bugs, but the two I did encounter were dialogue skipping, (when the dialogue would advance to the next piece even though I didn't press any keys), and I had a nasty crash during one of the cinematics, luckily I saved right before the crash. One of my other observations of the game is it doesn't look as 'crisp' as the original did. After you get off Paragus and advance to the other space station I was in awe, and a little upset of the lack of detail in the interior of the station. The original Kotor had amazing detail, and this version just doesn't seem to live up to it. Of course I havn't gotten to any outdoor areas yet, since I don't plan on playing the game until this patch comes, but does anyone else notice the detail has dropped significantly or is it just me? And before you ask, yes I have the settings cranked to the max, so it's not that lol.

I noticed, especially near the end, that the game appears to have been "rushed", as if to finish it off. Leaving Telos Station near the end of the game will shock you when you notice that nearly every room is either locked or is completely empty!!! The excuse is that there's an evacuation, but hell, they took the tables, chairs, the lot!!! The quality is only about the same as the first game too, and in places does seem to be slightly worse, and I'm using a XFX Geforce 6 6800 Ultra with the latest drivers

The game was fun, I enjoyed it, but I'm not that happy about the state the game was realeased in, as I've said before

I await the patch, that will be the decider for me

*shrugs* I just refuse to play this game until they put out a patch.  I have many other games to play while I wait, so I'm not furious. I'm actually playing Kotor 1 again and I'm having a blast with it.  I played this game the day I got it, then stopped. I didn't encounter many bugs, but the two I did encounter were dialogue skipping, (when the dialogue would advance to the next piece even though I didn't press any keys), and I had a nasty crash during one of the cinematics, luckily I saved right before the crash.  One of my other observations of the game is it doesn't look as 'crisp' as the original did.  After you get off Paragus and advance to the other space station I was in awe, and a little upset of the lack of detail in the interior of the station.  The original Kotor had amazing detail, and this version just doesn't seem to live up to it.  Of course I havn't gotten to any outdoor areas yet, since I don't plan on playing the game until this patch comes, but does anyone else notice the detail has dropped significantly or is it just me? And before you ask, yes I have the settings cranked to the max, so it's not that lol.

The game was definitely rushed. There is no bones about that.

The story and ending just feel rushed whether you know this (by reading boards like this) or not and this is what has pissed a lot of people off whom don't post on message boards because the game leaves the player with a "WTF?" feeling once it is finished and no game should do that... Even on purpose because if that is the case, the designers should rethink what makes a story driven game work and if they can't figure it out, hire a professional writer/storyteller to help them.