Question about Torment (spoiler)

Claws

It's been quite a long while since I played the last parts of Torment and this has been bothering me for quite some time...

Around the end of the game TNO actually meets up with 2 of his incarnations. I forgot if that happens inside the fortress of regrets or somewhere else, anyway, I was wondering how that was possible? How were all three incarnations existing at the same time? Someone please remind me...

Indeed, the other incarnations aren't alive, nor were they trapped their during their lives ("there" isn't a place, anyways, per se).

They're submerged elements of TNO's self coming to the surface.

Only TNO is trapped there, and he's reconciling himself (and/or destroying) these submerged past selves.

Is PS:T worth getting? I'll probably get it in a couple of months (I wanna finish my NWN module, then I'll get the expansions for it, then I'll get Icewind Dale, then I'll check out BG I and II, but then I'll be free for the 'best RPG ever' in may peoples opinions.)

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Is PS:T worth getting? I'll probably get it in a couple of months (I wanna finish my NWN module, then I'll get the expansions for it, then I'll get Icewind Dale, then I'll check out BG I and II, but then I'll be free for the 'best RPG ever' in may peoples opinions.)

Unless you mind reading a lot in a computer game, the answer is definitely yes.

Well, I would think that one of the purposes of playing an RPG is to read, isn't it? :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

...Planescape: Torment be in a class by itself as far as cRPGs go...if ya likes heavy combat, ye may wanna look elsewheres...if it be the story that draws ya inta a game, ye'll be hangin' on e'ery scene, e'ery breath...no words convey the true feel o' PS:T; none could...PS:T tugs at yer mind, yer heart, yer soul...many call it an interactive novel, an', in a way, it is...no game ye'll e'er play will drag such emotion out o' a player; it be almost if it has a life o' its own an' allows one a glimpse inta it...many luv it, many hate it, but few forget it...pick up a copy (if ye can find one) an' live it fer yerself... :blink:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

On the other hand, we must not forget that Sargy is a devoted PS:T-fanatic, so if you want less biased opinions I think you should just wait a bit.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Less biased opinion over here. I picked it up recently, (as in after New Years) along with the Fallout Double Pack off of Amazon. It's good...REALLY good. The graphics have held up surprisingly well (IMO) due to the near placement of the camera, much better than, say, Baldur's Gate or the Fallouts. I'm enjoying the story more than anything else though [naturally] as that's it's strongest suit. Sargy is right when he calls it an interactive novel, as that's what I came up with to best describe it.

Oh, and as for previous incarnations you encounter in the game, don't forget about the one in The Private Sensorium. Maybe two really, but you only interact with one of them.

Well, I would think that one of the purposes of playing an RPG is to read, isn't it? :ph34r: ;)

Not necessarilly, which has been proven by the KotORs and Vampire Bloodlines.

All I am saying is the one thing detractors of Torment complain the most about is the overabundance of text in the game. I didn't mind, but a lot of people did (unfortunately).

Kotor had quite a bit of reading, for me. Then again, I spent like 2 hours one day looking at all of my save files and making a mental compilation of all the Sith and Jedi artifacts, as well as reading the backstory on everything else... :lol:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

On the other hand, we must not forget that Sargy is a devoted PS:T-fanatic, so if you want less biased opinions I think you should just wait a bit.

...an' what, pray tell, makes me opinion on PS:T any lesser than anyone else's???...that I feels that PS:T is on the top o' the heap as far as cRPGs go???...well then, I guess anyone's opinion on (place game here) is biased an' irrelevant cuz it be theys favorite game, right???...no, o' course not...let us also remember that, unlike the voracious fanmonkey masses o' (place game here...NWN's a great example), I can freely admit PS:T has shortcomin's...combat ain't great by IE standards nor be it very important in the game, it still be a bit buggy in spots, pieces o' cut quests still reside in the Planes makin' a few spots a bit confusin', one can miss much o' the game simply by not having (place STAT here) high enuff at a certain time or not bein' (place CLASS here) at a certain spot/time, graphics be a bit dated, story can be hella confusin' in spots, LoP Maze be jus' one big pain in the arse...an' yet it still be the only game I's e'er played that left me emotionally drained; the only one that, when I finished it, I had to concentrate completely to hold back that lump everyone gets in their throat when an intense wave of emotion hits hard and you're about to get that moisture build-up in your eyes...funniest thing is that me fiancee (who hates "video games" wit' a passion) finally gave in earlier this year and played it once cuz I told her she'd like it...she finished it...in tears...ya dunna play PS:T, ya experiences e'ery word, e'ery breath...ya lose yerself in it...

PST was buggy? What? Since when? I have complaints about the game; but bugginess is not one of them. Agree the combat was let's just say lacklustre; however to say it was important is to ignore tha fact that combat was VERY IMPORTANT to PST. Afterall, there's a lot of places in the game where you have to fight unless you are role-playing a cowardly TNO (which simply is illogical in ofitself) so quality of its combat is very important espicially sinc eit had a damn good combat engine to work with.

"place game here...NWN's a great example"

Dunno 'bout you; but I have yet to see anyone who likes NWN not have at least one complaint about the game. I dunno of anyone who thinks it's eprfect unlike you pretty much come across with P[sT. Afterall, you crusade for PST threatening the beat down if someone even makes it their #2 favorite. LOL

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NWN was fine, imho. The story was odd, but I love the editor... My module (if I ever finish all the dialog trees) will be the only reason why I still play it, though.

Off topic: How do you fix the error message: "Insufficient hard disc space?"

Geekified Star Wars Geek

PST was buggy? What? Since when? I have complaints about the game; but bugginess is not one of them. Agree the combat was let's just say lacklustre; however to say it was important is to ignore tha fact that combat was VERY IMPORTANT to PST. Afterall, there's a lot of places in the game where you have to fight unless you are role-playing a cowardly TNO (which simply is illogical in ofitself) so quality of its combat is very important espicially sinc eit had a damn good combat engine to work with.

"place game here...NWN's a great example"

Dunno 'bout you; but I have yet to see anyone who likes NWN not have at least one complaint about the game. I dunno of anyone who thinks it's eprfect unlike you pretty much come across with P[sT. Afterall, you crusade for PST threatening the beat down if someone even makes it their #2 favorite. LOL

...LOL...ye seems ta fergit, dwarf, that I wasna always banned from the BIOborg Boards...in fact, the reasonin' fer me first temp. ban there was because I wasna a mindless, droolin' NWN fanmonkey an' stated flaws in it...hell, Stan "teh Man" Woo-pee-doo an' Diamond Dave Gaider theyselves came rushin' ta the "aide" o' the NWN fanmonkeys an', since theys couldna refute the problems I stated wit' NWN, banned me (temp ban)...nice revisionist history lesson, though dwarf...some newbs may e'en buy it...as fer PS:T, ne'er once has I e'er threatened ta "beat anyone down" fer not havin' PS:T as theys fav, Cement Head...an' where's does I say PS:T be perfect; I jus' name d a few o' it's flaws meself (an' ye responded ta 'em; try payin' attention next time, bowelhive)...an' it ain't like combat in PS:T be terrible; it jus' ain't up there wit' other IE titles (which all had stellar combat, 'cept fer SoA/ToB's "wash, rinse, repeat" magic battles syndrome)...unlike yerself, I "defends" me fav cRPG wit' facts an' experience instead o' "LOLLIPOP"s an' "R00fles"...better luck next time, though, Guly Dwarf... :lol:

Off topic: How do you fix the error message: "Insufficient hard disc space?"

...erase some crap from yer hdd, cuz ye dunna 'ave enuff space left... :lol:

Sarge, not to open this cna of worms; but anyone who witness your tirade at the BIO baords know why you were banned and why you deserved it - it had nothing to do with your opinions; but how youa cted. Mnay people bash NWN there and still do and aren't touched. Go figure.

And, I may use R00fles! tod efend NWN but at least I don't some "special' wemic langauge that 90% of people cna't even undersatnd to dfend PST. And, no, PST's combat was purely awful. Awful, I say.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sarge, not to open this cna of worms; but anyone who witness your tirade at the BIO baords know why you were banned and why you deserved it - it had nothing to do with your opinions; but how youa cted. Mnay people bash NWN there and still do and aren't touched. Go figure.

...bullshyte...my so-called "tirade" at the BIOborg Boards didna e'en start 'til after me first ban fer pointin' out the many faults o' NWN ta the BIOborg fanmonkey cluhouse...one negative word 'bout NWN is all it takes an' ye has 20 droolin' Drones flyin' at ye from all directions...o' course, I was the only one ta eat ban; Dave & Stan wouldna wanna do anythin' ta the Stepford Fans now, would they???... :(

And, I may use R00fles! tod efend NWN but at least I don't some "special' wemic langauge that 90% of people cna't even undersatnd to dfend PST. And, no, PST's combat was purely awful. Awful, I say.

...I types how I types, peoples dunna wanna read it, they dunna 'afta...least it still be far more dialogue than "R00fles" (an' btw, dwarf; if yer gonna make fun o' how others type, ye may wanna at least do it right yerself)... :)

I dunno why people say the combat in PS:T was awful... It's not that different from BG1 and 2. I find it much better actually, and the spells are amazing, especially the higher level ones.

Actually this brings me to another question: Those levels 9 spells, like the symbol of torment and celestial host, do they exist in the planescape campaign or were they created for the game? Were the developers free to create new spells, lore, background info on the planescape multiverse?

*long post in response to mine*

Exactly my thoughts of the game. See folks, you just have to push them a bit and they'll talk their heart out. :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I dunno why people say the combat in PS:T was awful... It's not that different from BG1 and 2. I find it much better actually, and the spells are amazing, especially the higher level ones.

The problem was not the combat itself, it is indeed your typical love it or hate it Infinity Engine combat, but the pathetic enemy AI and the lack of really powerful enemies like spellcasters. The only time I got handed my ass was in Curst after Carceri when the deamon from Moridor's Box caught me unprepared. It also didn't really help that the game left phat loot in every corner of the gameworld.

Torment was never about combat anyway, but it would have been a nice change of pace once in a while after hours of reading. As it stands enemies were just annoying because they never posed a threat and only hindered your progress to the next incredibly interesting NPC. :)

Exactly my thoughts of the game. See folks, you just have to push them a bit and they'll talk their heart out. :thumbsup:

...hehehe...I dunna 'afta be pushed very hard when it comes ta talkin' 'bout Planescape: Torment, amigo...most o' the other "ol' fogies" 'ere knows me stance on her...I jus' saves time now an' writes the short version... :p

I have to say combat was the primary weakness of PS:T but then combat was pretty weak over all with all the Infinity Engine games so I put that as an engine weakness. Every game has its weaknesses and PS:T is no different. I admit it is one of my favorite games of all time, second only to Fallout 1, but as I said before there is no such thing as a perfect game.

Harvey

...a li'l off-topic, but what's wit' the name-changes Visc???...hidin' from the government???... :thumbsup: