Do you find yourself creating the same character?

Since 3E I have always played a ranger with any combination of classes that would support stealth, such as Rogue.

I have since then, play through many NWN mods doing the same thing.

And recently, I have just completed KoTOR2 using a DEX based character who is also skilled in stealth as well.

Also, I just can not play as a female character.

I have heard so many people who has been playing with so many different classes, different gender and perhaps races, I once forced myself to try, as an experiment, but half way through the game, I had to restart and make THAT character again.

I have still learnt what some of the spell do because I was oftern beaten up by magic, but not by using it.

Strange.

I usually create male character first. I always use same name and RP sort of good guy (well, more loyal than good... sheep or asskisser is good word). ie In KotOR II male was self-loathing wreck of human, who would do everything to undo his misguided actions in the past and in Vampire - Bloodlines character was record corporation PR lackey, who didn't have any guts to challenge executives orders.

Next time I create character, it's female. I always use the same name and RP selfish, slightly mental troublemaker. KotOR II she was narsistic egomaniac, who would do anything to attention and Vampire - Bloodlines... well, she got bitten by Malkavian so her past is just blurry images of simple farm life before trying to get modeling job from LA.

First character "good" and second character "bad" but genders might be in different order. I use same name because it doesn't really matter in game. None says it out loud anyway.

Tragic or sometimes comedy type of characters are fun to RP. There's always chance of redemption, but it might never happen. 3rd playtime (and onwards) I usually just let loose and create damn weird characters (that happens because I like to include hardcore gamer elements like use just one type of weapon or don't kill anyone ect ect.).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I always go for the healing warrior, although in recent years I've found myself drawn to the assassin/rogue type. I never play any magic based characters though. I wish they would make more RPG's where magic didn't play such a huge role..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, I do. For some reason even though I like avriety the first time through eveyr game I play basically the same character. LOL A dwarvenfighter/cleric or the closest equivelant...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I tend to run through a game in every possible way. Good and evil, male and female, every kind of class. I usually LIKE to play mage/wizard type classes, but end up getting smacked down :/

Oh, and wherever possible I use two swords. Much cooler.

...first play-through is always wit' a Barby-type wit' a heart o' gold...jus' a sentimental sucker, I is; hit first, ask questions later, then feel guilty 'bout it...I tries ta model e'ery first run-through character I plays after Caramon Majere cuz I relates ta his character, bein' a big, misunderstood guy meself...rarely e'er play a magic user as me main character, jus' not me style... :p

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Way back when, the rule was to start a new RPG I did'nt know as a warrior class, I felt that choosing that path would afford me good defense, survivability and an effective way to flatten any opposition. But then I played Kotor the first time and got bored as my guradian simply quashed anything in his path, and then I played divine divinity and found that a warrior dosen't have all the answers.

Since then, I play every new RPG with mage types, they may be physically weaker then warriors, but they're way of fighting is more interesting, and they get skills and diplomacy for the most part.

In team based RPGs, I always have a rogue and ranger, but in PC oriented games I don't see their appeal, the ranger because he's a jack of all trades and master of none, and the rogue because he dosen't make sense to me on his own.

In single player always chaotic neutral/neutral good male mage, but in multiplayer I tend to play someone of these:

- Male fighter: master smith and a heavy smoker (neutral good).

- Male rogue: usually halfling, curious and sociable, but can be annoying (chaotic good).

- Female sorcerer: "innocent idealist", very compassionate (lawful good).

- Female rogue: usually red-haired, bitchy, selfish, cautious in a fight (chaotic neutral).

I tend to stick to a specific type of character in all games I play. Usually I play my first playthru as a fighter-type, then the second play thru I use a sneakier type like a rogue or thief.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I tend to play intelligent, male, do-gooder mage-type character.

I find it most impossible to play generic fighters, or physically-focused characters of any kind save rogues. I just can't make myself do it. Especially not when Int or Wis checks are involved.

Generally, I find myself playing Chaotic Good Male Mage-type characters.

Virtually never female (can't get into a female character), virtually never fighters, virtually never evil, or even neutral.

Its cool to know that I am not the only person who just keep playing the same character. For those who do, what make you guys keep on playing the same character?

In DnD, I oftern play as an Elf (but about third of the time play one as human), Ranger, living on the human land. First, I love a "creature" that is flexible and small. And Elves oftern seems to think about the "feelings" of the land, of the stars and some stupid romantic stuff that a human would usually be slapped by his friends if he says it out.

So my ideal elves are more like the LoTR type. But since they are so god like, I feel strange playing my character as an elf sometimes.

Ranger is again, belonged to the nature, combing with the talk about the feelings of the land, and the moon blah blah blah, its just really really cool. I was born in Hong Kong, and have always been a city person, viewing nature is really inspiring.

Additionally, ranger has stealth, and "could" be a good fighter. Also, I always look for ways where the class/character provide some extra damage in combat under certain condition, almost like a secret weapon, so Sneak Attack from the Rogue, and the F. Enemy from the Ranger really interest me. I know the Sneak Attack do a lot more damage, but in exchange of nature and speaking to animals and living in the wild and could enjoy it all the time, I would rather take the Ranger class.

Its really its a shame how the world believe combat power is relying on STR, since my brother has been doing Kung Fu for so long, at the end, it all desire your body to be "lose". None of his masters look like body builders, but that

I always play some kind of magic-wielder. Mage or Sorcerer, or a Cleric, but I absolutely do NOT like playing a character with no magic. I've had Ranger and Thief characters, since they can do some magic, but my favorite is Mage or Sorcerer.

Why? Well, I remember growing up watching "Bewitched" and just loved the thought of being able to wiggle my nose and make things happen! :D Then I started reading fantasy, which of course is generally magic-oriented of some kind, and usually you have to be aware of, if not actually involved in, the world around you (not just the world of men, but nature, all it's creatures, patterns, etc.) to be GOOD at magic, and being a country girl, I liked that part. And quite frankly, I like the cool spell effects in some of the games! Finger of Death, Flamestrike - they hands down beat hacking at something with a weapon in my book.

My orientation is usually good - in D&D, I'll go neutral, even so far as chaotic neutral, but I can't bring myself to play an evil character. I might do it some day, when I have time to play through the same game 50 times or so, and play good/neutral 49 times, then try it as evil on the 50th, but so far, nope. And like some one said earlier, I'd probably have to stop halfway through the game and start over if I did try to play evil!

...first play-through is always wit' a Barby-type wit' a heart o' gold...jus' a sentimental sucker, I is; hit first, ask questions later, then feel guilty 'bout it...I tries ta model e'ery first run-through character I plays after Caramon Majere cuz I relates ta his character, bein' a big, misunderstood guy meself...rarely e'er play a magic user as me main character, jus' not me style... :blink:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Caramon Majere? THE Caramon Majere? Man, that guy was AWESOME!

I still prefer mages, like that one other Majere... Man, I gotta go check out some books...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

In Kotor I went through as everything, but in D&D games I'm going to set up as a 'true hearted' sorcerer, or, like my Morrowind character, a 'noble' Sorcerer, with a 'code of honor'.

The type that wants power, and will kill to get it, but won't do so if innocents get hurt in the process. They still hunger for magic, but they'll make sure that some innocent housewife doesn't get killed along the way. It is a very contrasting character type, not that I think about it...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Caramon Majere? THE Caramon Majere? Man, that guy was AWESOME!

I still prefer mages, like that one other Majere... Man, I gotta go check out some books...

If you weren't being sarcastic (well, even if you were! :geek: ) Raistlan. Golden eyes and hourglass shaped pupils. One of my favorite doomed characters

That's why I had to go check out that book... to find Raistlan. He is a perfect doomed character.

I just couldn't remember his name. It's been 2 or 3 years or so since I've read that trilogy...

Didn't they have another 'tragic' sister? I seem to remember her commenting on how she always knew Raistlan wouldn't stay in the Red Robes for long...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Rarely. I have only tried one same character concept - Thordek Lightbringer, a dwarven character - in multiple CRPGs, and even then, they varied a lot in between. In the Baldur's Gate saga, he was a Barbarian, IIRC; in NWN, he was a Fighter/Cleric, then a Fighter, then a Paladin; in Temple of Elemental Evil, he was a Fighter/Cleric, then a Paladin; in Arcanum, he was a fighter-type who wielded a pyrotechnic axe and a flamethrower.

All other characters are wildly different between themselves and between games.

I always play a weaponmaster/kensai type of character my first time through a RPG if I have the choice. I stick to one weapon of choice only, usually a sword type weapon.

I enjoy playing as a monk too, with his fists and staves.

I can't seem to play evil, yet I don't like people telling me what to do, so I usually play a chaotic good character every time.

I go with a fairly wide variety of classes, depending on what the particular game in question offers and what looks interesting, but Jacques (Cleric) and Winthrop (Magic User) have been with me since I played The Bard's Tale for PC in... '88? '87? Somewhere around then, anyway.

*wipes a tear from his eye* Ah, the adventures they've seen...

I do have my favored character type of being the Skill based types but most of the time I make the character random, and not just the stats.

Roll die, Even=Female, Odd=Male.

Count the number of classes, and roll die. That is what class I start with.

In DnD I roll for alignment 1d10, reroll if 10, baring alignment restrictions from class.

Once those basics are done I make the character as normal.

Harvey