What are your Ability Scores?

I've never taken a test where I scored below 99 percentile.
What? Not even in school? :shifty:

It's a message forum, so people don't have to believe me. But we take various standardized tests at certain grade levels here. When going into kindergarden they told me I was dyslexic, and they wanted to put my into Special Education, as I would never read above a 4th grade level.

I was homeschooled for a year, which I feel gave me a huge leap on most kids. I could add/subtract/read, etc. before 1st grade.

We took CAT tests as we finished 6th grade. In most subjects I tested higher than students at a 12th grade level. My parents called me a prodigy and seriously considered trying to put me in college straight out of 6th grade.

Thank god they didn't. Still, without any studying I got a 31 on my ACTs the first time, despite falling asleep in the test. I got a 35 the second time. A 29 puts you in the 99 percentile if I recall (maybe 30) and 36 is a perfect score. Every standardized test I've ever taken has put me in the 99 percentile easily.

I've only met one person I know to be a true genius though, and it wasn't me. Without ever studying, he tested out of every undergraduate math class Creighton University offered. His sophmore year in college consisted of just giving lectures in math and physics as a TA. Grad school consisted solely of going to Manhattan and working on some super-collider to try and recreate the Big Bang on a small level. Those with a proclivity towards Physics can look the project up. I believe it's called S.T.A.R.S. (not from the Resident Evil game, silly).

That's great. Catholics trying to prove the Big Bang.

He was technically in college for 6 years, but was only really a student for one year. He partied every night with buddies, never slept, and never sweated anything.

He's also perhaps the most giving, humble and considerate person I've ever met. Really smart folks are rarely humble, but he's a cancer survivor with a great outlook on life.

Most days I aspire to be half the man he is.

I've only met one person I know to be a true genius though, and it wasn't me.  Without ever studying, he tested out of every undergraduate math class Creighton University offered.  His sophmore year in college consisted of just giving lectures in math and physics as a TA.  Grad school consisted solely of going to Manhattan and working on some super-collider to try and recreate the Big Bang on a small level.  Those with a proclivity towards Physics can look the project up.  I believe it's called S.T.A.R.S. (not from the Resident Evil game, silly).

A friend of mine was the dux at our school the year before me and went to university where he promptly topped every subject in his first semester (straight sevens and first places), at which time he was interviewed by a few Stockbroker firms. He never finished uni, never went back. Last time I looked him up he was getting those $M bonuses you read about in the paper every tax year.

Bastard. :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sadly, he is opposed to taking a job outside of Omaha, and there are no jobs here for people with a Masters in Math and Physics. So he teaches at a community college for a pitance and rents a room from me. What little money he makes he usually gives out to his friends.

He has no real desire for wealth either.

I really don't understand that mentality.

With wealth comes power. Your friend could easily donate all his wealth to worthy causes, except he would have a lot more. In fact, isn't there a duty of intellect? (What was his name, that philosopher. Dang, I'm off to bed now.)

Just think how much change Bill Gates can effect in this world. He could literally build a small African country from the ground up, IT infrastructure and public, medical and all facets of society. Easy. (I often wonder why he doesn't.)

*Sigh* I guess to get the wealth precludes the very people that would be good to have it. :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The only charity that Bill Gates has ever donated to is building further Microsoft customers. He has to have some small charity for tax purposes, and it consists of offering Microsoft products to schools for free, or at reduced prices.

That's it.

Rockefeller built schools and musuems across the country. Gates could be fueling the economy by reinvesting that money into building up areas, that in turn will puchase from Microsoft again. But he won't.

click

click

That seems like a lot of $$ being given away. Perhaps not in terms of the percentage of his total wealth... but still more than chump change.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

His charity is sitting on 21 billion dollars.

And that foundation could be a non-profit organization that accepts donations to pay out grants.

He's using it as a tax shelter. He puts money in that isn't taxed, and then accepts donations to actually pay out grants while his money sits there going untaxed.

Wealth is very cool although if your not into the power side of it , it will totally kill your motivation to be productive.

I think anyone who says they dont want to be rich just dosnt know what its like. Although fame given a choice between rich and famous and not rich I'd take the latter.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's a message forum, so people don't have to believe me.
It's not as if I don't believe you, I just assume it must be pretty difficult to master all the fields -- both tested and untested. Also, you say that a person of your friend's intellect should deserve a better career, but that he himself is quite content with his current job and not interested in personal gain... Isn't that his limit?

I believe that any intelligent person can live without a real desire for acquisition, as long as that can be said sincerely by people who personally know them. Anyone who would claim statements like that on their own behalf sounds clearly like a victim of groupthink. :)

I have no problem believing that Ender Wiggen is smarter than everyone else.

Yeah. After all, he single-handedly beat the sh*t out of the Buggers. That's gotta count for something.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Weird. Everyone seem to think very highly of themselves. You're all way above average. Oh well, here goes:

A study in the early nineties showed that 60% of people thought they were of 'above average' intelligence.

str: 8 (originally not so bad, but had a couple of injuries and got old)

Dex: 8 (Lousy. Always have been)

Con: 16 (surprisingly tough)

Int: 16 (Going on achievement. Personally I think I'm just very efficient with what little brains I got)

Wis: 15 (A couple of tomes might have had something to say in this. The Hagakure for one - "Always wear badger-skin pants when on campaign, to avoid lice")

Cha: 15 (But probably lower, or I'd be out in a bar somewhere, not online)

All round I don't think the D&D rules work that well for real people. They're more like a toolbox, giving you stuff you can do, not how you tend to do it. I also note that these stats wouldn't let me do the job I have... :lol:"

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A study in the early nineties showed that 60% of people thought they were of 'above average' intelligence.

Most people think they are above average drivers, and have above average taste as well.

Yet they don't quantify it. I've witnessed people try and claim 200 IQs fairly often in pissing contests amongst so-called intellectuals. Too bad they obviously aren't familiar with scales for IQ tests, nor do they release the supposed highest IQ score in the world is something like 212. Marilyn von Savant or someone like that.

I can honestly say that I average about 135-140 in IQ tests, which only measure a fairly specific form of logic. They don't measure overall intelligence. I am probably the fastest learner I've ever met in my life. In every standardized test I've ever taken in my life, I score in the 99 percentile.

I don't consider it arrogance to then quantify myself above average for intelligence.

I, for one, do not have any problem believing that you're an intelligent fellow. On the other hand, I don't view intelligence as the best indication of personal quality. A sharp mind is a real benefit in this world. It is not, however, the only benefit. In fact, it is not the best attribute. We value intelligence because it is the differentiating feature that separates mankind from other animals. ...But intelligence does not ensure happiness. Hell, nothing ensures happiness. Our innate intelligence, along with virtually all of our innate attributes, are decided long before we are born; bestowed upon us by the capricious nature of fate. Who can truly be proud of intelligence when it is the gift of chance? Be proud of personal bravery. We school ourselves to bravery. Be proud of kindness. We decide to be kind. Be pround of honor. We struggle to maintain our honor. Our intelligence? That's a gift, not a decision. There is no cause for pride.

The nature of our characters is more important than the nature of our minds. Luckily, you seem to be a decent sort. That, Mr. Wiggin, says far more about you, and for you, than any IQ test ever will.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The nature of our characters is more important than the nature of our minds.  Luckily, you seem to be a decent sort.  That, Mr. Wiggin, says far more about you, and for you, than any IQ test ever will.

Thank you. I consider that a grand compliment.

I know that I have a tendency to come across as arrogant, when I merely tried to answer the question posed in this thread of offering up a personal assessment in game terminology.

Never once have I said that I believe myself to be better than others as a person. Testing however, is a form of ranking. To quantify one's attributes, I try to fall back on standards for objective analysis.

I was concerned that my initial post would make me appear arrogant, which it did to some. One might note that I was quick to point out that I firmly believe that I am neither the most intelligent person on the planet, nor the best human being. I make note of others I try to emulate and respect for their strengths.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most of us here are arrogant about something or another. ...And most of the folks here seem pretty intelligent to me. Maybe that's just by comparison.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

STR 12

DEX 13

CON 14

INT 16

WIS 11

CHA 13(true this doesn't show on the internet)

3 ranks in Decipher Script

10 ranks in Disable Device

10 ranks in Move Silently

20 ranks in Perform Tekken

23 ranks in Use Rope(fun fun)

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (