KOTOR2 work with catalyst 5.4 now?

Don't know.  I bought smartly and got a Nvidia card.  :thumbsup:

And the point of that was? <_<

Thanks for letting me know the new ones were out. Unfortunatly it is too late to test them out.

The release notes do say that the massive 1 frame per 5 second drops in places like Dantooine should be gone since those also happened in KOTOR 2, there are a few known issues they had from the last release that apparently they have not fixed though.

Thanks for letting me know the new ones were out. Unfortunatly it is too late to test them out.

The release notes do say that the massive 1 frame per 5 second drops in places like Dantooine should be gone since those also happened in KOTOR 2, there are a few known issues they had from the last release that apparently they have not fixed though.

The release notes lie, the slowdowns in Dantooine are still there. And gloom effect still won't work either. Maybe they meant to say the slowdowns will be fixed "soon"... Back to the 4.3 dll for me.

The release notes lie, the slowdowns in Dantooine are still there. And gloom effect still won't work either. Maybe they meant to say the slowdowns will be fixed "soon"... Back to the 4.3 dll for me.

Well, it appears to have lessened the severe slowdown on Peragus, perhaps this slowdown fix needs you to start over from scratch. lol

But i will find out when i get to the spot where T3-M4 gets zapped. lol

I don't get why it's taking them so long to fix the Dantooine bug.  Only 1 Nvidia beta driver had that problem, and it was fixed in the next release anyway.

Well it did work just fine before, both the 4.2 and 4.3 drivers not only have no slowdown in outdoors levels at all, they also have working gloom effects. No idea why both have been broken ever since. I just know it never took Nvidia a year to fix a bug with their driver so I'll go back to Nvidia for my next graphics update...

Part of the problem with these slowdowns is that some of these maps have not been optimized (nor has the engine that renders them).

Want proof?

When you get to the Fuel Depot part with T3 -- Where everything drops to single digits -- Rotate the camera to T3's side (left or right) and make him go forward (toward the control panel he is supposed to access; it's like a tracking shot).

Guess what?

It plays normally with good FPS. But the minute you roate the camera forward (the default, third person view behind a character) it drops into single digits again.

There is only one explanation for this and that is the map itself is trying to render to many verticies in one direction (toward the console) and there is nothing anyone, not even ATI, can do until OE recompiles that and a lot of the other maps as well.

Part of the problem with these slowdowns is that some of these maps have not been optimized (nor has the engine that renders them).

Want proof?

When you get to the Fuel Depot part with T3 -- Where everything drops to single digits -- Rotate the camera to T3's side (left or right) and make him go forward (toward the control panel he is supposed to access; it's like a tracking shot).

Guess what?

It plays normally with good FPS. But the minute you roate the camera forward (the default, third person view behind a character) it drops into single digits again.

There is only one explanation for this and that is the map itself is trying to render to many verticies in one direction (toward the console) and there is nothing anyone, not even ATI, can do until OE recompiles that and a lot of the other maps as well.

Your right. This game also seems to render things that aren't in your field of view, such as NPCs across the entire map.

In any case, these new drivers are running great. Have tested them through Dant-, but i'm getting overall, better frame rates.

ati cards are better and run faster, with them you have a better chance of running new games

all nivida can do better than ati is make the games look slightly better as they have more advanced pixel shaders,

but all that means little since the cards don't run as fast so you'll probably experience lots of slowdowns for graphically demanding new games that you wouldn't get with ati

when the patch is released the game should run fine with both cards

I thought the NVidia cards worked better than the ATI cards simply because the xbox has a NVidia chipset.

I heard that the Xbox2 is going with ATI this time around so PC gamers who use ATI cards may be able to rejoice as the XBox2 games that go to PC will be made with ATI in mind.

I believe that KotOR2 was closer to a port than an actual development for the PC. That may explain why force sight won't work with my ATI card.

I could be way off too, however. Either way, I am running KotOR 2 on my PC with an ATI card and have yet to have a slow-down problem. It happens from time to time but only for a split second. I don't consider a split second a problem :blink:

The main reason Nvidia does better with this engine is that it is an OpenGL render-based engine versus D3D -- That ATI excels at.

The integrated graphics chip on an XBox (I have an XBox) is a GeForce 3 equivalent and XBox games use a renderer called Renderware (of all things) that is like a modified version of DX 8.1 that MS developed soley for console games.

Nvidia's new 68xx series solve the "gap" between being good at OGL and also D3D as you can run either API and have about the same results (both good).

I am getting an 6800 GT shortly and mainly because I get sick and tired of having to consciously worry about what renderer a game engine uses and whether or not the perfomance I am (or will be) getting is the optimal one like you have to do now with ATI being strong in D3D and Nvidia OGL. With these new cards, you should only need ONE card and I think that is Nvidia's strong suit right now.

Also, the drivers for ATI keep getting worse (haven 't tried 5.4 yet) and adding more crap like the bloatware CCC that hogs system resources like their is no tomorrow. It's asinine...

I don't get why it's taking them so long to fix the Dantooine bug.  Only 1 Nvidia beta driver had that problem, and it was fixed in the next release anyway.

Well it did work just fine before, both the 4.2 and 4.3 drivers not only have no slowdown in outdoors levels at all, they also have working gloom effects. No idea why both have been broken ever since. I just know it never took Nvidia a year to fix a bug with their driver so I'll go back to Nvidia for my next graphics update...

This is actually an engine problem not an ati problem persay. Between 4.2 and 4.3 (4.6 for us x??0 series users) ati updated its openGL renderer to the new type (1.1, 2.0 maybe? I think it is? I can't remember). Unfortunately they aren't all that backwards compatible. I doubt ATI really has much of an intention of trying to do the backwards compatibility thing. As far as I know the KOTOR engine is the only one that still uses the old open GL renderer. The fault is with bioware/obsidian for not updating their engine to support the latest methods etc.. When MS released SP2 it was up to vendors to update their software to support SP2. MS put a lot of thought into trying to keep SP2 backwards compatible, but there's only so much you can do, after that its up to the vendor. ATI's new renderer is WAY better than the old one (as more modern games that use it demonstrate nicely). If it weren't for the other incompleteness in the game I would be suprised at obsidian not having put time into updating the engine.

I have to imagine the problem is due to the game's engine and not the video card itself.

I've got a PCI-Express 256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT, and I have yet to experience ANY of the numerous bugs that have plagued ATI card owners on this board.

Maybe I just keep a very clean PC, or perhaps I'm just lucky. Whatever the case, KoTOR 2 (and every other game I have) runs just fine. :rolleyes:

I didn't see this response until just now.

I'm currently using Catalyst 5.4; however, I've played through the game with both 5.2 and 5.3, and those work just as well.

The only modifying I've done to the swkotor2.ini file is enable cheats. Otherwise, it remains exactly like it was when I first installed the game.

I didn't see this response until just now.

I'm currently using Catalyst 5.4; however, I've played through the game with both 5.2 and 5.3, and those work just as well. 

The only modifying I've done to the swkotor2.ini file is enable cheats.  Otherwise, it remains exactly like it was when I first installed the game.

What operating system?

Do you have Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 in your swkotor2.ini?

The other thing is to try disabling cheats.

Oh and prior to installing 5.4 I added "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" to [Graphics Options] ...

So I'm not really sure if it's the drivers or that line of text that's working for me.

It's the line that is working for you. Try removing it and doing a quicksave(F4) while at Dantooine. The lag starts right after that.

What operating system?

The OS is Windows XP Professional w/ SP2.

As I said, the only editing I have done to my swkotor2.ini file is enable cheats. I haven't disable the vertex buffer, and I see no reason to do so.

The game plays perfectly as it is.

What operating system?

The OS is Windows XP Professional w/ SP2.

As I said, the only editing I have done to my swkotor2.ini file is enable cheats. I haven't disable the vertex buffer, and I see no reason to do so.

The game plays perfectly as it is.

I too have no lag problems as long as I don't quicksave(f4) on Dantooine using Cats 5.4. ATI admitted there *IS* a lag problem on Dantooine in the readme of their latest Catalyst driver. Of course, you could be lucky and not experience any problems at all. Or you could be lying as there's no way to verify what you're saying.

My question is concerning the gamma settings. I have an ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256 MB Ram on a Windows XP SP 2 system Intel P4 1.5 (yes i know its below the recomeneded for this game) with about 700+MB of RAM.

Almost all of my games, Call of Duty, max Payne 2, KOTOR 2 start up and switch to really dark settings. Has anyone gotten around these problems? I followed the tweak guides for the ATI and i still get the crazy gamma settings.

Thanks to anyones help

Gamma settings are and will always be broken (until ATI gets their act together) for ATI cards playing OpenGL games ........ - even with the latest Cat 5.4 CCC and KOTOR 2 1.0b the gamma is still broken - as I remember correctly so does Doom 3..........

The other thing broken is the glow effects the last working driver was Cat 4.4 (pls see my separate post on this elsewhere on this forum)