Any good rpgs ?

Spooky

Can anyone give me a recommandation on a good rpg, I need something to pick up where Kotor left off. I've been playing the Kotor games over and over lately, way too much for my taste, it's getting obsessive and rather frightening.

Hell, it gets bad when you start a new game right after finishing it, without even a break, I gotta break the cycle.

I hear that BG II is equal or better than Kotor I, which is hard, imho. I don't know, though... I'm saving money for the NWN expansions, then I'll probably check out the BG series, or IWD, or both...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

You can buy The Elder Scrolls:Morrowind - Game of the Year edition for $20 US. It comes with both the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansion packs. It's a steal at that price. If you play it on the PC you have the advantage of being able to download mods to add quests, NPCs, factions and even new landmasses to explore.

The Baldur's Gate games were monuments in their own right, and Phantom, if you never played them, then I envy you, so were the Fallout series, despite their unstableness. Planescape, I tried and tried, but never could get anywhere, I'm sure it's brilliant but it just did'nt happen for me.

I got the Elder Scrolls 3, that's for sure, but it's kinda daunting if you ask me, when you play Kotor, you know you're in for 35 hours and it's fast paced enough and linear enough that you're never stalled or stumped.

Another game I bought last year but never played is Scared, I'd call it a Diablo clone but it's so much more, try it and you'll see, but it's daunting as well, one of my buddies said he spent 70 hours on it and never even reached the edge of the world. I've been playing it recently...until I reinstalled Kotor, and I had a good 25 hours in, yet my journal stated that I had explored a mere 7% of the world :geek:

Divine Divinity deserves another chance, there's no doubt, but if I play again I'll have to start again from scratch because it's been too long, the game is so 2D that it might get annoying.

I am still playing Baldurs Gate 2, its brilliant.

But its a different Experience than KotOR. Same thing with Morrowind 3 or Sacred ... all Games are different - there is nothing else like KotOR.

But if you choose BG (i recommend the Black Isle Collection 2) get youself prepared for a graphics shock. Good old RPG Style. :lol:

By the way - here is a list of BG2 mods you should install IMHO

Banter Packs V6

NPC Flirt 101 :wub:

Unfinished Business 13

Weimar Ease of Use 30

Shadowkeeper

if ToB AddOn is installed

Kelsey NPC v21 - Kelsey TOB v22

Tashia 205f

Weimer Solaufein Mod v101

Weimer Valen v43

Do not forget to install the latest patch!

BGII by FAR. It was a ridiculously good game, deep plot, pretty good engine(for its time. i didn't notice 'ne bugs either *ahem*), lots of sidequests/nonlinear play, quite long, a lot of development, etc. It's also much more difficult than either KOTOR or KOTOR2

The Bg series CRUSHES KOTOR series. The only thing worthwhile that KOTOR series beats the BG series is the use of non combat skills.

Also good games to try out are the Fos eries (only games to tie Bg series), NWN, Ff series, Arcanum, PST, IWD, and the Ultima series are all good choices.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

IBy the way - here is a list of BG2 mods you should install IMHO

Banter Packs V6

NPC Flirt 101  :thumbsup:

Unfinished Business 13

Weimar Ease of Use 30

Shadowkeeper

Tashia 205f

Weimer Valen v43

Where can I find these and should they all be installed together? Much appreciated!

Cheers,

FD

Kotor is great. It'll be the only reason why I stick w/ LA, except for some of their RTS's, but that's a different story.

I thought Morrowind: GOTY was great. I know it stumped people, but I loved it. There's a lot of crap to do, and it falls into a mythology-like setting (which I'm a sucker for). I found very little to complain about...

I'm into D&D and Forgotten Realms games, at the moment... Nothing yet has paralled w/ the Dragonlance Novels, though...

BTW: Has anybody here played Fire Emblem English version? That game was probably the best Turn Based game I've yet to play (except for online games you can find if you do a search).

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Baldur's Gate 2 gets my vote. It seems like i played BG2 and Throne of Bhaal forever. I still play sometimes and the graphics don't bother me. They fit the gameplay style perfectly.

The character interaction was better than KOTOR. The battles were better and the story was epic. There were crazy amounts of items to be found and the familiar (to me) world of D&D.

My favorite character was the monk. At higher levels my monk would toss around 2 liter bottles of whoop @ss, and not break a sweat.

Baldur's Gate 2 gets my vote.  It seems like i played BG2 and Throne of Bhaal forever.  I still play sometimes and the graphics don't bother me.  They fit the gameplay style perfectly.

Which gameplay style is that? The "aged, low resolution, 'help, I've lost a dimension and can't get up!'" style?

Time has not been kind to any of the IE games when it comes to graphics. Everytime I start one of them up, it feels like I'm taking a huge step backwards. Personally, I find them more difficult to cope with than for example Wasteland or Pool of Radiance, because they were designed for modern computers, yet fail to deliver. Unlike the examples I mentioned: they have no expectations on them because they're already dinosaurs..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

IBy the way - here is a list of BG2 mods you should install IMHO

Banter Packs V6

NPC Flirt 101  :shifty:

Unfinished Business 13

Weimar Ease of Use 30

Shadowkeeper

Tashia 205f

Weimer Valen v43

Where can I find these and should they all be installed together? Much appreciated!

Cheers,

FD

http://modlist.pocketplane.net/index.php?ax=list&cat_id=97

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

NWN nights graphics weren't stupendous, if you think about it... I've played Dark Alliance... Is that what the actual BG graphics are like? If BG graphics are comparable to NWN, then there's not much really that can be fixed. And complaining ain't going to fix anything...

I did some 'research' on PS:T, and it looks AWESOME! :geek:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

If you can find it cheap, The Summoner might not be so bad. The first game, I mean. I haven't played the sequel.

Sure, it's ancient and the graphics aren't exactly perfect, but it's story is very deep and interesting IMHO.

Oh, and the character development system is much better than KotOR's annoying d20 stuff. Not perfect, but better.

For example, I like the defense choice between the skills Parry/Counterattack and Dodge. Dodge lets you simply evade attacks and is easier to build, but Parry allows you to both dodge the attack and use it to open the opponents the defense and then make an additional attack with your Counterattack skill. That's the sort of tactical considerations that are sorely lacking in the d20/KotOR system...

Still, I'll admit that the chained attacks of The Summoner do indeed suck ;)

Fortunately they can be completely ignored.

Seal of Evil :ermm:

The demo has the most boring part of the game. Much, much better story, NPC interaction and combat in later parts of the game. The item creation is the very unique and interesting (based on the five chinese elements).

(The english voice acting is horrible, tough. If anyone has an advice on how to get chinese voices, I'd be a happy man...)

Move along, nothing to see here!

• 2 weeks later...

so whats the deal with Goldenland will it ever be translated and released over here? It looks like it might be good. And I think the infinity engine games look way better than nwn. A game doesnt win the graphics comparison by default just because its 3d. If your interested in something besides an rpg, theres an adventure game called still life that looks awsome.