Weird Animal Moments

not something I have seen ..

but I heard that there is a ceartin kind of wasp that's is extremely large compared to a normal bee .. but these wasps will enter a beehive and start eating both honey and bees, now this is where it gets wierd!

accidently bees can survive at up to 50 degrees celcius but these wasps can only withstand about 45 .. so all the bees lie in wait, and then suddenly swarm the wasp and start rubbing it, thus increasing the temperature and killing the big baddie, but just keeping it below their own maximum! (how do they even know how to do that?? which brainy bee went "hey lads! I got this really hoopey idea! this may sound rather insane .. but hear me out!?)

just wierd!

saw it on Discovery ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Bee is the smartest insect I know of. Did anybody here about that one expirement they did?

The put the honey 5 meters away from the beehive one day. The bees eventually found it, and collected some.

A couple of days later, they moved the honey (or nectar, I suppose) 10 meters away from the beehive. It took the bees about an hour to find it again.

Another couple of days later, and they moved the honey out another 5 meters so that it was 15 meters or so away from the hive. It took the bees about 20 or so minutes this time.

Then, after another couple of days, they moved the honey again. But, some of the bees were already there, waiting...

The times may have been wrong, but the point is there. Bees can detect patterns, and they have a way of 'dancing' to communicate...

If the c-ockroaches learned how to function as a hive, then they'd probably rule, because of their invulnerability, but bees also have many similar attributes, with the intelligence of baby humans (or thereabouts).

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

That commentary was classic.

C-ockroaches can survive just about anything, from radiation, to raid, to the sole of your foot. Plus, they're friggin fast! Now, picture the huge 2-5 inch THINGS they have in Brazil... Can you imagine waking up every morning to those things??? Holy cow, that's like a horror movie!

There is no such things over here, it is in India i believe (saw it somewhere)

The times may have been wrong, but the point is there. Bees can detect patterns, and they have a way of 'dancing' to communicate...

But I wouldnt call anything that takes an hour to find something justy 10m away smart.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But I wouldnt call anything that takes an hour to find something justy 10m away smart.

Well, 10 meters is a bit more than 30 feet. Now, put yourself at less than 1 inch long. Now, take into the fact that you have a limited range of sight. Now, think about the fact that you judge location based on where the sun is (or, where the light is coming from).

That would make it pretty smart, indeed.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

That commentary was classic.

C-ockroaches can survive just about anything, from radiation, to raid, to the sole of your foot. Plus, they're friggin fast! Now, picture the huge 2-5 inch THINGS they have in Brazil... Can you imagine waking up every morning to those things??? Holy cow, that's like a horror movie!

There is no such things over here, it is in India i believe (saw it somewhere)

They may be in India, too, but I have a friend that's on a trip to somewhere in South Africa, and he took a picture of a c-ockroach against a 10 dollar bill; It easily covered up all but half an inch of the bill.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Those wasps are from Japan.  I saw the same program Rosbjerg.  :)

Yeah that's right .. it was actually quite interesting! although I only caught that part .. but seriously, how do they develop that ability? it's really insane!

I mean what kind of mutation makes you wanna rub your body against someone prone to eat you?

I refer to the HHGTG's proof of the non-exsistence of God in this case! ^_^

Fortune favors the bald.