Who was the greatest lightsaber duelist

Who was the greatest lightsaber duelist from the movies?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the greatest lightsaber duelist from the movies?

• Obi Wan
    • Anakin Skywwalker
    • Windu
    • Yoda
    • Darth Maul
    • Qui Gon

i still think that yoda doesnt really count, i mean wouldnt u kickass if u trained for 900 years?

my order:

sidious: trained Maul, managed to get his lightaber thru the metal detectors in the senate

anakin: defeats Dooku, fights obi wan to a stand still, very very tough

obi: defense rules him, he doesnt go on the offensive very much as maul owned him when he did that

windu: his technique rules

maul:Bdl lightsaber, nuff said

qui-gon: if he didnt get so tired and waited for obi, he woulda lived

dooku-he was trained by qui-gon and probly shared some of his weaknesses

Of the known characters, Yoda is my vote.

One thing to remember too: a Sith is primarily trianed to simply kill an opponent because that is the 'quickest and easiest' thing to do; a Jedi is not trained to think or duel like that. A Jedi is taught to duel with compassion and mercy and with the long view in mind, namely the possibility of redemption or reformation through disarmament and capture or negotiation. The latter is a much more difficult form of combat and as such requires more training not only in the martial art of dueling but in one's perspective, pattern of thought and feelings. Yoda once said that the force is for "knowledge and defense, never for attack." A defensive form must, of necessity be a subtler form and as such is more physically and mentally demanding both in training and in actual combat.

Kilkanon

Anakin.

Yoda:

gets owned by Palpy in the Senate chambers

Mace:

gets owned by Anakin in Palpatine's office

Palpatine:

gets owned by Mace in his office

Although Dooku's fight choreography is the best. The way he fences, you'd think he's a character straight out of The Three Musketeers :cool:

Anakin: thinks he is the best of all times.

Bows down before Palpatine. Attacks Windu from behind while he is fighting against Sidious. Kills children in lightsaber duel. Gets owned by Obi Wan.

Read the book, he is a victim.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Yeah haha Dooku was trained by Yoda himself.

Dude this thread is pointless, in the book Labrynth of Evil it talks about this.

It talks about the uncertainty if yoda would have beat dooku or not, dooku was more powerful than he used to be, and might not have lost if he kept fighting, but fighting wasnt his priority...it was to get the deathstar plans to sidious...if dooku really wanted to fight, he would have....

In the book it talks about how Dooku was the greatest of lightsaber duelists among the jedi, along with Mace and Yoda...they were the only two that could best dooku...but dooku would usually get the upper hand...

Obi is a very good defensive fighter, but he would lose to mace and yoda and dooku and sidious and he is unable to beat greivous in the saber and his saber gets destroyed....he has to end up fighting greivous and from what I hear from the book is the only way greivous has weakness is when he's surprised....

SPOILERS!.....

obi wan force grabs greivous's blaster and shoots him in a moment of spontanious luck, like usual....

In the book it talks about how Dooku taught and trained with greivous all of the lightsaber forms....he warned him of maces style and in the book mace and greivous fight....Mace gets the upper hand out of a surprised footstance switch or something, because maces style is unpredictable and flirts with the darkside.....

the only question I have is how anakin beats dooku in episode 3...I think it's just because he's the chosen one and that's all....and he gives into the darkside in the fight...oh and btw obi wans ass gets knocked out again in the rematch with dooku!

So in my opinion the order goes like this...from what we know....

from best to worst...

1. Dooku, Mace and Yoda are all tied pretty much, they all have different pros and cons to their styles and in my opinion and pretty much the book, they all could beat one another on different days...its all down to whos the most revved up on that day haha...

2. Anakin...he beats dooku somehow, because he's more powerful, but as far as with a lightsaber, dooku is technically better than anakin...so its a close call

3. Greivous-He can pretty much beat any jedi except the top 3 that tie my first place....I think he'd probably beat anakin....

4. Darth Maul-He was skilled, and had an unpredictable style, but he was ****y, and not a smart fighter...talent not brains...and got outsmarted by obi

5. Obi wan-he's probably the worst technically of saber skills, but he is an excellent fighter and is very smart, and wise...he wins by faith in the light, and abit of unpredictable luck...everyone talks about him owning anakin...not gonna happen, he'll actually probably be tied/losing the fight alittle bit the whole time until he gets a lucky break due to anakin getting a bit ****y, just like maul...and we all know what happens...

ALSO lets not forget EVERYONE has a weakness and EVERYONE loses sometimes

One thing to remember too:  a Sith is primarily trianed to simply kill an opponent because that is the 'quickest and easiest' thing to do; a Jedi is not trained to think or duel like that.  A Jedi is taught to duel with compassion and mercy and with the long view in mind, namely the possibility of redemption or reformation through disarmament and capture or negotiation. 

No. When fighting like that the Jedi might be putting at risk others' lives (not to mention his own), which is obviously unacceptable, even for the Jedi. The Jedi are as proficient in the killing trade as the Sith.

There was an explanation for this, I think I read it in one of the D20 books. "If the Jedi are pacifists, why do they carry such lethal weapons as lightsabers?" The answer was that the lightsaber should only be used as a last resort. But once the lightsaber is drawn, the Jedi must be ready to take a life.

1. Dooku, Mace and Yoda are all tied pretty much, they all have different pros and cons to their styles and in my opinion and pretty much the book, they all could beat one another on different days...its all down to whos the most revved up on that day haha...

Yeah. Only Dooku's choreography wins by default. Mace's is a bit awkward from what we see in AotC. And Yoda is just a green ball leaping and spinning around. Dooku is graceful, and deadly.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

3. Greivous-He can pretty much beat any jedi except the top 3 that tie my first place....I think he'd probably beat anakin....

I wonder why wouldn't a Jedi simply crush or push Grievous' body with the force. Grivous isn't even a force user. He is only a piece of metal.

I wonder why wouldn't a Jedi simply crush or push Grievous' body with the force. Grivous isn't even a force user. He is only a piece of metal.

Mace does that in the Clone Wars cartoon. I guess it would not only be anti-climactic, but it could be considered evil to use the force to grip him to death.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Mace does that in the Clone Wars cartoon. I guess it would not only be anti-climactic, but it could be considered evil to use the force to grip him to death.

Yes, it would be very anti-climatic. But I think

shooting him in his bowels, as Obi Wan did,

isn't less evil.

I don't really have much to contribute that wasn't already said, but I'd like to commend everyone on the fact that no one said anything like, "Well, I'm an amateur ninja, and my style is like that of so and so, and I'll tell you from experience......."

:geek: keep on keeping on

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I don't really have much to contribute that wasn't already said, but I'd like to commend everyone on the fact that no one said anything like, "Well, I'm an amateur ninja, and my style is like that of so and so, and I'll tell you from experience......."

I was going to say that. But I thought it might ruin my serious and literate poster fa

Ninjas are nature's most dangerous and supersweet mammals

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Yeah, I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And then some dude dropped a spoon and the ninja went and killed the whole town.

This is so sweet. We finally drove the thread to a truly interesting subject.

people don't seem to realize that the purpose of a ninja is to flip out and kill people

You know... these threads are so chaotic. In large part because many people are less interested in participating in a discussion and more interested in simply airing their opinions... almost all of which are ill-informed and negative in that the one replying has not given any thought to or even fully read the post to which he/she is replying. It ends up being totally chaotic and non-sensical and almost unswervingly degrades into a parody of itself. Case in point: See above posts...

Kilkanon

Well Darth Maul actually LOOKS the most skilled. He's not really flashy at all in his attacks. They're short and to the point. Except when he's flipping around.

Dooku uses some fencing style, but in the movies I didn't really see anything resembling fencing. He just seemed to fighting using twirly slashing movements. Hardly any parrying thrusts which I associate with fencing. Then again I don't know anything about fencing so I could be wrong.

Mace is supposed to be a great saberist, but he just looked kinda awkward when running and blocking blaster shots.

Yoda looked crazy. He probably becomes a pure conduit for the force so I can't really say.

Anakin didn't look especially skilled. Sure he fought with two sabers but the movements were on a set path.

Obi wan probably looked the best after Maul, probably because Ewan Mcgregor had more time to practice and he practiced with Ray Park.

But all this doesn't really matter since storywise some are more powerful than others. Don't forget the destiny part.

Yes, but every aspiring Ninja must have their ninja theme playing in the backround:

Ninja, Ninja, RAP! Ninja, Ninja, RAP!

GO GO GO

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO; Go Ninja, Go ninja, GO!

Go Ninja, Go Ninja. GO; Go Ninja, Go ninja, GO!

GO GO GO GO

manthing2.jpg

I have to give props to Dooku for being one of the very few masters of a lightsaber form that is specifically aimed at dueling Jedi only.

But my vote goes to Windu since his form requires not only high physical strength to master, but a highly trained mind because of it's connections to the dark side.

You know...  these threads are so chaotic.  In large part because many people are less interested in participating in a discussion and more interested in simply airing their opinions...  almost all of which are ill-informed and negative in that the one replying has not given any thought to or even fully read the post to which he/she is replying.  It ends up being totally chaotic and non-sensical and almost unswervingly degrades into a parody of itself.  Case in point:  See above posts...

Um, so?

Are you really trying to imply that a debate about which fictional character is the most adept at a fictional fighting style with fictional weapons in a fictional universe is something to be taken seriously? Don't make me f*cking laugh. :thumbsup:

You know...  these threads are so chaotic.  In large part because many people are less interested in participating in a discussion and more interested in simply airing their opinions...  almost all of which are ill-informed and negative in that the one replying has not given any thought to or even fully read the post to which he/she is replying.  It ends up being totally chaotic and non-sensical and almost unswervingly degrades into a parody of itself.  Case in point:  See above posts...

Um, so?

Are you really trying to imply that a debate about which fictional character is the most adept at a fictional fighting style with fictional weapons in a fictional universe is something to be taken seriously? Don't make me f*cking laugh. :thumbsup:

Hey guys, first time poster here. I voted for Mace Windu, he has Palpy beaten, until Anakin gets involved, he could have beat Anakin if he had not been tired out from fighting Palpy.

Yes, but every aspiring Ninja must have their ninja theme playing in the backround:

Ninja, Ninja, RAP! Ninja, Ninja, RAP!

GO GO GO

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO; Go Ninja, Go ninja, GO!

Go Ninja, Go Ninja. GO; Go Ninja, Go ninja, GO!

GO GO GO GO

Ah, Vanilla Ice and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, a winning combination. I love that movie. The Secret of the Ooze!