No offense but dialog options are cr*p

I just wanted to say that for me it's not the bugs or combat or graphics or cut-out stuff which makes Kotor 2 not as good as K1.

It's 2 things.

The first was that the Exile's like the second most important char in the game (after Kreia) or at least I've had that feeling thru the second half of my DS playthru.

That can't be changed however so **** it.

The second thing and most important is that the dialog options are *rap as hell.

You don't get to choose out of so many different DS ways to play the game through. You only must be the uber evil kill everything in your path guy/girl.

In K2 for example when you meet the second guy that pushes you for credits on Nar Shadaa (not the one with infos or the one attacked by thugs):

you can do a:

- Oh you poor guy! - here's 20 creds! (LS points)

- Get away. I don't have any credits

- I'll friggin kill you if you don't go away!

or sth like that

I was glad at first but the problem is that when you choose option nr.2 then he goes like:

"PLEEEEZE!!!"

And you're left with the 2 other options.

The next problem is that when you choose opt. 2 you get rid of him but then comes granny with all her talk and why in bloody hell must I either choose that I felt powerful when saying that (wonder who would have anyway but the dialog is there).

OK Enough of one example - the whole thing is that in K2 there are indeed alot of variations in LS play but DS is kinda forced to kill any maggot on the path or else you'll get LS points for being a softy.

I mean "I see you're becoming the most powerful of all Jedi, Anakin." <- Kotor 2 gives for such things LS points since it's a complement.

For telling T3 "good job" you get LS points.

Not only the dialog options are crap since you almost never get any neutral answers but if you do they give you LS points.

The DS play is strictly for guys who want to be Nihilus II since the options are like "You are my slave! Or I'll better kill you. And then I'll kill everyone behind you and so on" because the other option was "I love puppies".

I played K1 with a Lightside but sometimes doing bad things for good consequences (killing Bendak), a blaster jedi, the super lightside guy, super darksider and a Dark side guy who's not like the first because of the fact that he'd rather make more allies out of people than kill them.

In K2 won't get that chance - I've already played the first of the above mentioned and though it worked out well - my DS game was like stopped every 5 minutes to yell "what stupid options".

Donno about the rest of you out there but if it's one thing they should change is the dialog options in K2.

Well, think about all the dominant Dark Side people in the movie-universe, and well...that's what the Dark Side does to folk. There doesn't seem to be much lee-way there past a certain point of no return.

And IMO the Light's the same way - you have to be all goody-goody in dialogue - can't even be neutral-good.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, think about all the dominant Dark Side people in the movie-universe, and well...that's what the Dark Side does to folk. There doesn't seem to be much lee-way there past a certain point of no return.

And IMO the Light's the same way - you have to be all goody-goody in dialogue - can't even be neutral-good.

Kavar has a point, though; the game makes it hard to be subtly evil. To be full DS to have to be a total **** to your party members, even when that's incredibly stupid. Things like:

Atton/T3: I upgraded the engines on the Ebon Hawk

You: Thanks a lot, jackass!

Often if you respond with something like "Hey, thanks, I really appreciate it." You'd think they could at least include a "[lie] I really appreciate it" option.

After all, even if you're evil you need allies and dupes. Kavar's right that Palpatine would have a tough time maintaining Dark Mastery under KOTOR 2 standards.

Not a huge deal for me, but still.

Yeah, I agree he has a point...but again, IMO, the SW universe is not generally about subtlety. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After all, even if you're evil you need allies and dupes.  Kavar's right that Palpatine would have a tough time maintaining Dark Mastery under KOTOR 2 standards.

Spot on.

Old news, anyway.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah, this is really bothering me. I've already played an LS game, and saying and doing things there came more naturally to me. If someone did something to help me, I said "thanks" and in general, I didn't act like an ass for the pure sake of acting like one.

In my DS game (which I'm playing right now), I have to be the worst SOB in the galaxy just to get DS points. It's a little ridiculous. I don't recall Darth Vader or Palpatine being a thug or jerk just because it made them feel good--they acted evil when it suited their purposes and were, more often than not, subtle about it, using fear to do more damage.

I recall this also being somewhat of a problem in KotOR 1. I played a DS game there, but it didn't seem quite as bad. Maybe there were more opportunities to act less like a thug/ass/jerk and more like a true Sith Lord. I don't know. All I do know is that being a Darksider here in KotOR isn't easy, when it falling to the Darkside should be one of the easier things in the game.

Yeah, I agree he has a point...but again, IMO, the SW universe is not generally about subtlety. :)

*cough* Darth Sidious *cough*

Anyway, I was a bit annoyed. Kreia goes on about being manipulative instead of brutish, yet dialogue options usually favor the latter. And I'd rather go by the former..... :)

After all, even if you're evil you need allies and dupes. Kavar's right that Palpatine would have a tough time maintaining Dark Mastery under KOTOR 2 standards.

Thing is with Palpatine is that he makes himself appear to be a benevolent politician (at first) but is really a skilled deceiver. It's only after the Clone Wars that people finally catch on with his increasingly growing dictatorship.

I guess there's no-one at Obsidian who truly understands evil. They don't know the true power of the dark side.

I see they're hiring lots of new people. Maybe they could add 'experience of being evil' to the job descriptions. Now I can imagine Feargus Urguhart as Dr. Evil, interviewing candidates:

FU: So, you're a graphics programmer?

Programmer: Yes.

FU: And you've done some graphics programming?

Programmer: Uh huh.

FU: Was it evil graphics programming?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It was the same in the first KOTOR. Most (though not all) of the "evil" dialogue options, well... they just weren't very subtle, what can I say? They made my character into the stereotypical bad guy the likes of Blob or Sabertooth, LOL!

People were saying the exact same things about KOTOR in the Bioware forums, and I was assuming that KOTOR II would be much improved in that area. I was wrong. But then again, I've been seeing the "KOTOR II Patch Coming Soon!" message for God only knows how long. :huh:

Well I'm playing K1 right now and am playing a subtle DS guy and it's going perfectly so far though I'm not getting alot of DS points but at least I don't get LS pts for saying "thanks".

Yeah I am a jerk every now and then when I want to but I acctually got the choice not to be and still get no LS points.

When you watch Star Wars the movies you KNOW who the bad guys are just like when you read the novels you know whose bad the only reson the Jedi don't is because they are idiots :huh:

Statemeant: you cannot stop me you cannot harm me, in order to do that I would need to stop being one of you; I have concluded that this is something I am willing to accept!

In short you have just shown me your soft meatbag-like underbellies and said

Well I'm playing K1 right now and am playing a subtle DS guy and it's going perfectly so far though I'm not getting alot of DS points but at least I don't get LS pts for saying "thanks".

Yeah I am a jerk every now and then when I want to but I acctually got the choice not to be and still get no LS points.

Hmm i had no problems getting quite far down the evil path without acting like an idiot in K2... in fact, i had to watch it since it was too easy to get there and i like my alignment to be nicely grey.

Mayhaps you just don't have what it takes to be truly subtly evil? :s

I hate the Dark Side being badly portrayed in games, when I had a DS guy and I can't seem to click on other things that don't have the word 'kill' 'die' 'take'. I want some [Lie] dialog.

I hate the Dark Side being badly portrayed in games, when I had a DS guy and I can't seem to click on other things that don't have the word 'kill' 'die' 'take'. I want some [Lie] dialog.

There does seem to be a lot of "all or nothing" going on here. Nothing is 100% good and nothing is 100% evil. Things are never so binary.

thats one of the main reasons why i don't play DS, simply cause i think the DS options are just plain dumb, like hardly any of them are subtle DS, its like beating up some kid in the playground for his lunch money

you end up becoming this cliched evil moron

Well maybe they wanted the exile to be a dumbass anyway since he lets Mira and G0T0 join with him who have done nothing good for him before that (that's the biggest "you're dumb. face it" event in the game if you ask me but that's another story for another thread ;) ).

Yeah, I agree he has a point...but again, IMO, the SW universe is not generally about subtlety. :thumbsup:

Well, the whole thing about the Dark Side is giving into and reveling in your base emotions. Bullying those beneath you and being obsequious to those above you. That seductive call of the forbidden makes it hard to have the discipline to resist enough to be subtly evil.