Can you please give us information on the patch?

As a paying customer, I would like to request that the information on the patch fixes be released. I think at this point after 2 months + since the games release, we deserve at least this. We have waited long enough. Would you folks at Obsidian wait 2 months for any information on a game you bought that was very bugged and wait without being mad? I don't think you would. We as loyal customers deserve an honest ETA on the patch and I think that isn't asking too much.

Soon doesn't cut it anymore or any words that don't in detail explain when the patch will be released. Be honest to your paying customer who spent $49.95 on this game that was very bugged at release. Please tell us what is going on with the patch and let whoever know that there are alot of unhappy people, some are happy, and good for them, but I know I am not and there are more who aren't either. It's pretty evident just from looking at your own message board.

You might think that no one should be mad about this game or the fact it's taking a long time for a patch to come out, but just ask yourselves the question I asked in the beginning, "Would you folks at Obsidian wait 2 months for any information on a game you bought that was very bugged and wait without being mad?"

Throw us a bone here Obsidian, please release the patch fixes, even if it isn't finalized so that we actually have proof that there is a patch.

no was the answer, until it comes out

Again See: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...=120&p=321736

Post 131

Well, no might have been good enough 2 months ago but it's not now, they need to actually tell us what all they are trying to fix, as of right now, single word answers aren't cutting it. They expect us to buy Neverwinter Nights II? They need to have more communication.

Would you take a car to a garage and just let them work on it with out calling them back and making sure that they are not ripping you off? Same thing here, they need to provide evidence that there is indeed a patch in the works, and no single word answers are going to satisfy me and I am sure other people anymore.

Guest MacleodCorp

To Be Quite Honest!

I believe the reason we have not seen progress on the KOTOR II patch is quite simple: Lucas Arts is too busy finishing up Episode III. Since Lucas owns the comapny, he is probally having his production teams work on Episode III so he can reach the release date. I know from personal experience that when I am faced with a magazine release date, I need to use as much of the production team as possible to meet the deadline. In this case, they probally put all their game patch release dates off untill Episode III's deadline is finished. However, there is anoth deadline they have to meet. The DVD release date, and the added special DVD sets. Therefore, chances of us seeing a petch for KOTOR II within the next six to seven months is probally a no deal.

Prediction: After all of the current Lucas Arts production tasks, movie advertising deadlines, and action figure releases, I believe the actuall release date will be: January 2006!

Unfortuanatly, there is another deadline in the works: X-Box 2, which Lucas Arts could turn around and not release a patch for KOTOR II, for they are getting ready for future games.

Sad but true!

It's very unlikely that the patch is delayed because of people being redirected to work on Episode III, because LucasArts, LucasFilm, ILM and Skywalker Sound are seperate divisions of Lucas' company. More likely LucasArts must finish the Episode 3 games which will be propably released simultanously with the movie, so they might profit from the hype and they cannot be bothered with patch QA.

Guest MacleodCorp

If you noticed in my REPLY, I did mention about advertising and such. Games are considered advertising, so I was right!

From what I just read in another thread. The patch is not up to Obsidian, but it is in Lucas Arts hands. Therefore, its over man!

Come to think about it: I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE WILL BE A PATCH FOR THIS GAME... Not Obsidian's problem, but a Lucas Arts problem.

Obsidian attempted to make a game, which has a cult following, and they did the best they could. Kudos!!!

Unfortunatly, mediocre quality in the development of a game is Lucas Art's endevoure. They should have given Obsidan more time to work the problems out, and create a story line, which makes more scence.

Its would appear that the Atari game E.T. has sturck again!

Guest Lakmoots

Here is another perspective: IT IS NOT LUCASARTS FAULT!!

I am not saying it is Obsidians fault either, but I think they (Ob & LA) have run into major complications regarding any possible patch release.

Why?

Because a patch was just released... for Republic Commando!!! This was a content patch, too.

Now this patch was probably ready to go from the games initial release, but it proves one thing... that the LA games division have plenty of time and manpower to release a patch for KOTOR2.

Unless there is another issue at work.

I think there may be some serious issues regarding whether it is worthwhile to actually support the game at all, from a business standpoint.

I see two explanations regarding a forthcoming patch, although I could be incredibly, vastly wrong.

Firstly, there will be no patch. It is not cost-effective to support a game that needs alot of work and has caused too many PR problems, so LA might decide to let it float.

The alternative is this: LA gave Obsidian only one chance to fix-up the game, and will only allow the money and support to do one patch. OIbsidian, which had already sent the patch in for Q&A said "okay, but if we only get one shot at this, then we want to include some extra fixes"... thereby delaying the patch.

These are really the only answers I can think of... if the patch is released and it is a very small bug fix, and something that could have been released months ago, there will be a look of suprise on my face, as well as unbridled annoyance.

Here's to hoping! :thumbsup:

As good a method of thinking as any, and if we do only get one patch, then quite frankly, as much as it pains me to say, I'd rather wait another month and get what I want rather than a half baked patch now with no follow up

Although KOTOR Did get 3 patches at least with Bioware...

Here is another perspective: IT IS NOT LUCASARTS FAULT!!

I am not saying it is Obsidians fault either, but I think they (Ob & LA) have run into major complications regarding any possible patch release.

Why?

Because a patch was just released... for Republic Commando!!! This was a content patch, too.

Now this patch was probably ready to go from the games initial release, but it proves one thing... that the LA games division have plenty of time and manpower to release a patch for KOTOR2.

Unless there is another issue at work.

I think there may be some serious issues regarding whether it is worthwhile to actually support the game at all, from a business standpoint.

I see two explanations regarding a forthcoming patch, although I could be incredibly, vastly wrong.

Firstly, there will be no patch. It is not cost-effective to support a game that needs alot of work and has caused too many PR problems, so LA might decide to let it float.

The alternative is this: LA gave Obsidian only one chance to fix-up the game, and will only allow the money and support to do one patch. OIbsidian, which had already sent the patch in for Q&A said "okay, but if we only get one shot at this, then we want to include some extra fixes"... thereby delaying the patch.

These are really the only answers I can think of... if the patch is released and it is a very small bug fix, and something that could have been released months ago, there will be a look of suprise on my face, as well as unbridled annoyance.

Here's to hoping!  :p

At this point, I tend to agree there probably won't be a patch.

Some of the devs have said they are either working on one, or submitted one to LA... But I think LA knows what a flop this game was (at least on the PC) and now all of their efforts are focused on the Episode III properties and they are just hoping this will eventually "blow over" and we'll just "forget" about a patch. Yeah. Right.

If this is the case then it makes OE look bad as well because even if OE wants to patch the game -- tech and content-wise -- They can't... But gamers don't care who is really responsible for holding these things back and will blame OE since they are in fact the developers. It's a lose-lose situation on a lot of levels, but it is the reality of the games industry right now where big publishers pull the strings.

I'll tell you this:

I am a working adult consumer and will use my pocket book to speak my conscience and I will never buy a Lucas Arts product, OR a UBISoft product again.

These two companies are the epitome of the stereotypical, money-grubbing corporation that doesn't care about its core products, has terrible post-sales support, outsource a lot of their work to foreign nations for lower wages and generally do not seem to care about their customers -- Console or PC as far as platforms go.

I will, however, support companies like Bioware, Valve, Irrational Games and others who not only deliver quality products, but who actually do take the craft of making games -- across all platforms -- Seriously and at least try and offer better post-sales support than I have seen with LA and OE.

There is no more sympathy for companies like OE and Troika who put out crappy, unfinished games and then blame the publishers and hope we'll just continue buying based on "faith" alone. Business is business and since this is how gamers and consumers are treated, I will do so in kind and support those entities who at least deliver finished products and make an effort to communicate with their fanbase who pays their paychecks either directly or indirectly. Period.

how about a dev "leaking" a patch to the public, give it to someone, put it on an FTP, DC hub, bittorrent, give us a half finished patch so we can atleast play the game please, i've been stuck at the same place for about 2 months now...

how about a dev "leaking" a patch to the public, give it to someone, put it on an FTP, DC hub, bittorrent, give us a half finished patch so we can atleast play the game please, i've been stuck at the same place for about 2 months now...

That would pretty much take Obsidian out of business as patches just don't leak randomly. Not only would they face a lawsuit for breaking contracts with LucasArts they would also look bad in the eyes of future publishers.

What they could do is to include a paragraph into their next contract that they are allowed to develop and QA patches on their own, so they would not be in this unfortunate situation again.

And I agree with Master D. The patch might never be released because it's not profitable for LucasArts anymore. Even if the fault is evenly distributed between the developer and the publisher I won't buy (at least) Obsidian's next game on release day, as NWN 2 has also a very tight schedule.

Oh, and they are deleting topics about the patch without a warning, not just closing them.