Best chapter of the Jedi Knight Series

Which chapter of the series do you like most?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which chapter of the series do you like most?

• Dark Forces
    • Jedi Knight
    • Mysteries of the Sith
    • Jedi Outcast
    • Jedi Academy

Jedi Knight series is among most original star wars games ever made. Personally I like Mysteries of the Sith most, and there are my reasons: among features are cool and forgotten sith temple, Kyle Katarn fall to the dark side, Kyle&Mara Jade lightsaber duel etc you play as Mara Jade through most of the game and have plenty of missions like bargaining with the Hutt or escape freighter attacked by the pirates. MOTS is also best modded star wars game ever, and custom made levels are even better! Examples: you are Vader and you have to find and kill Obi-Wan on Death Star, you are one of rebel soldiers from Tantive IV (ANH) and you have to escape from the star destroyer, you play as Luke on Cloud City and you can change the course of the famed duel etc. almost all cool duels from entire expanded universe and movies were modded into the game.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Close between JK and MotS. But I have to go with the original JK. Tracking down all of Jerec's cronies while searching for the Valley of the Jedi and learning the way of the Jedi was so much fun. Lots of mercenary action, too. If only Force Jump wasn't so clumsy. Come think of it, if they remade that game using Raven's modded Q3 engine, it would mop the floor with both JK2 and JA.

MotS was great too, up until Dromund Kaas.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Ive never heard of MotS, when was it released?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You will find enlightenment here

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I Think Jk Dark forces 2 was the best one, and Mysteries of the Sith is apart of that for me, at least....I dont really consider them different since they came out around the same time, same graphics engine, and similar characters and etc.

I remember I was like 12 or 13 when that came out and I was playing online at the Internet Gaming Zone....good times....I think when anyone plays games at that age they get some type of nostalgia or way back when/glory days type of feel to it...I remember I just really missed those days when I was 17 playing J outcast and JKA online...didnt feel the same at all......

I always thought the addon levels and mods ppl made were MUCH better for jk and mots than for JO and JKA in my opinion...especially for the times....anyone remember Canyon Oaisis and the multiple levels it had....with invisible walls unerwater and all that crazy stuff and it went up like a billion feet high...classic man...!!!!!!

and The Hoth level was one of my favorites too......when u could jump on the invisible platform on the wall then get to that special section...it was classic, and get in the bacta tanks.....

I also think they should have kept Force Destruction! Muahaha!!!!

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention, even tho its so long already, srry, haha, but After JK2 and MOTS I got out of starwars for awhile, went thru that whole Im too cool for star wars phase haha for a long time actually until a year or two ago when KOTOR came out...I was like whats an rpg? I'll give this game a try haha...and I was blown away and KOTOR single handly got me back into Star Wars...and now I'm on the forums and wrote stories about Lord Satasn and damnit.....back into starwars alright!

I tried to get in to Jedi Academy, but I could never get the hang of the "twitch" factor to enjoy it. Often times I'd get stuck and give up because I wasn't able to do some double flip thingy to get to a certain level, rarely ever being stuck due to the puzzles or combat itself.

I did, however, enjoy the Dark Forces game, mainly because I had more patience for twitch gaming back then.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I really wanted to play MoTS, but the screenshots on the back of the CD made me think otherwise. I know it's unfair to compare the animations of back then to today, but seeing a square headed Hutt was beyond me.

And it didn't run on my computer. :thumbsup:

Definetely Dark Forces 2. I played through again around two years back and it was still fun. The maps are fun and pretty big. The graphics I found were still pretty good..well to my eyes anyways.

I liked the force powers implementation better as well. I always found the jump and speed powers in DF2 more fun. I imagined that's how force jump would work where you gather your strength and the force and shoot up really fast. I always thought it looked cool though sometimes I did crash Kyle's head against the ceiling.

Speed was more fun too, where everyone else is in normal speed and Kyle is in Super-Ultra speed. It was fun running circles around stormtroopers and slicing them with the lightsaber.

Plus DF2 also had Force throw so could throw objects at the enemy which is always fun. Almost as fun as pushing stormtroopers off cliffs in the later games.

The lightsaber combat did get better with the later games though.

Definetely Dark Forces 2. I played through again around two years back and it was still fun. The maps are fun and pretty big. The graphics I found were still pretty good..well to my eyes anyways.

I liked the force powers implementation better as well. I always found the jump and speed powers in DF2 more fun. I imagined that's how force jump would work where you gather your strength and the force and shoot up really fast. I always thought it looked cool though sometimes I did crash Kyle's head against the ceiling.

Speed was more fun too, where everyone else is in normal speed and Kyle is in Super-Ultra speed. It was fun running circles around stormtroopers and slicing them with the lightsaber.

Plus DF2 also had Force throw so could throw objects at the enemy which is always fun. Almost as fun as pushing stormtroopers off cliffs in the later games.

The lightsaber combat did get better with the later games though.

True, but I'm pretty sure that was the first star wars game ever that had lightsaber combat...the whole game was very revolutionary for its time and stood out among other games from back then, WAY more then the jk games do now a days...now adays they almost seem lack luster....

I liked Jedi Academy the most strangely enough. It had loads of problems; hit detection was terrible, the structure of mission selection was poorly designed and I was really hoping to be able to walk along the Academy and talk to people in between missions like Elite Force, the storyline I liked overall but its execution was lacking greatly, oh then there was Rosh *shudders*.

Still I liked the great variety of worlds visited, liked the general idea of resurrecting Marka Ragnos (Kinda Lord of the Ringish), loved Katarn as my mentor as I was tired of playing him, different missions instead of just run/shoot like the mission with the sand burrowers, swoops, etc. For the most part the game looked pretty good also. In spite of a somewhat-crap ending and final fight (I really wished Ragnos would have risen from the grave instead of possesing Tavion agh) I enjoyed the SP quite a bit and still do every once in a while. I don't care at all about MP so many of JA's problems didn't affect me.

Dark Forces I liked back when I played it in Playstation 1, but never enough to finish it as the aspect of SW I find interesting and unique is the Jedi/Force. I like many other sci-fi universes over SW's core techs and aliens.

JK:DF2 was great at the time. Now I pretty much hate the game though, from the lousy acting and horrible characters that were Yun, Jerec, the Twi'lek especially, etc. To the concept that the Force was stored in a damn valley and anyone could just pick it up by standing in a light coming from the ceiling and instantly become a force wielding threat to the galaxy. Just my opinion, no offense to those that still like the game.

MotS was cool also at the time, there were some things I liked about the game a lot and I definately liked Mara Jade. But my enjoyment of the game came more from the unofficial levels like fighting Vader at Bespin as Luke than the actual game itself. Still not a bad overall game at all, liked the confrontation with Kyle at the end a lot too.

JO:JK2 was better than JK for me. By this point I was tired of playing as Katarn so one of the first things I did was find an Anakin Ep2 skin to replace him in SP. But the game had some great momenets, a little too many Imperial bases outposts and ships for me to really like the worlds but not bad. Hated Barney though, replaced his butt quickly also with smeone else.

Just my two cents.

The only things - the ONLY things - Jedi Outcast can beat Jedi Knight on are the sophistication of graphics, game controls and of course multiplayer. Jedi Academy has its' subgames in its favour (speederbikes!) but is just too short a game to compare. The story of Jedi Knight was gripping, the villains superb, the level design epic in the extreme and, of course, the FMV movies were fun. Not to mention the fact that Jedi Knight - amazingly enough - had a dark side path that really ended in a big Dark Side way (Kyle becoming the next Emperor!).

The whole 'I found a lightsaber in a garage and that makes me a Jedi!' thing was a bit odd, but then that's the case with most of the franchise.

Well it was his fathers friend, who was a jedi, lightsaber, and he found it in his fathers old house...

The speederbikes in jka were very poorly done, in my opinion and hard to control, very sloppy....multiplayer and graphics and lightsaber control are much better in Jo and Jka than in Jk2...but I thought the way multiplayer worked in Jk2 was better and had WAY better levels and Modded levels and skins and etc.

remember BFP and BFP2?

good times

and did anyone else play on Internet gaming Zone?

I'm pretty sure that was the only place to go for multiplayer, for awhile at least

MotS could be better if you count the third party maps and mods, but "out of the box" JK:DF2 is the best of the series. I don't much care about these new Quake 3 based versions, mainly because that engine doesn't support my choice of controls very well while DF2 did so perfectly. The only thing that really matters for me where the newer versions are better than DF2 is multiplayer. That peer to peer code was just horrible.

SODOFF Steam group.