Will BG3 be at E3?

Many months have gone by since the gaming magazines first reported that BG3 was in production by some unknown studio. Since E3 is right around the corner, it would seem like that would be the ideal time to provide more details regarding one of the most popular RPG series in recent memory.

I'm hoping that Bioware will be the studio. If not, Obsidian would be okay by me. (w00t) Anyone heard anything more on the BG3 front?

I hope there will be some more information at E3 but I wouldn't hold my breath...it may well be that NWN2 and Dragon Age get some decent coverage/more screen shots though.

It is a bit frustrating not knowing who the BG3 developer is, although I suspect Bio will be closely involved somewhere along the line - either as the developer or engine provider.

Developer is probably some other team than Bioware or Obsidian but if Atari is publishing BG3, they (and mystery dev team) will show something at E3.

That is why it's frustrating - who on earth else is out there with the qualifications to produce a BG3 that has any real chance of living up to audience expectations?

"That is why it's frustrating - who on earth else is out there with the qualifications to produce a BG3 that has any real chance of living up to audience expectations?"

BIO's only work prior work was SS yet they were able to impress Interplay enough with their RTS engine to get asked to make BG. Ther eis no doubt that that there is another Bioware ready to be found.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

BIO's only work prior work was SS yet they were able to impress Interplay enough with their RTS engine to get asked to make BG. Ther eis no doubt that that there is another Bioware ready to be found.

I don't doubt it, but is Atari really the kind of company likely to nurture such a company as BIS/Interplay did with Bio?

BG3 should be good, I would hope. Then again, I have yet to try BG I and II (although I did try out the Dark Alliance subseries :rolleyes: ).

Didn't Bioware start something called BG3 but then cancelled it??? If you read the profiles of the programmers here at Obsidian, then most of them worked on the cancelled BG3, didn't they? Hmm...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

"That is why it's frustrating - who on earth else is out there with the qualifications to produce a BG3 that has any real chance of living up to audience expectations?"

I agree with this statement. Maybe we need someone new and fresh who will create something as exciting as BG1 was when it came out. A lot of the current companies out there, we pretty much know what type of game we

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Hmmm. I know not the veracity of this news (especially given that it was posted on April 1st) but it doesn't seem like a hoax to me. Wizards are notoriously capricious.

Baldur's Gate 3 Cancelled?

Posted: Friday, April 1, 2005 - 0:35 by Taluntain

Things apparently aren't looking good for the next installation in the Baldur's Gate saga. Atari has just sent us a short press release explaining just why exactly we haven't heard anything about Baldur's Gate 3 since its announcement several months ago:

Due to certain unforeseen difficulties with regards to working with the Wizards of the Coast licensed material, the development of the next installation in the beloved Baldur's Gate saga has effectively been put on hold for an undetermined period of time. We hope to be able to resolve the situation with Wizards amicably, but thus far our negotiations have been unsuccessful. Further announcements with more details will be provided over the next few months.

Well, there you have it. Enough to bring tears to an orc's eyes.

Courtesy of D&D CRPG fansite Sorcerer's Place.

Sounds familiar?

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

If this is the case, I wonder how soon until people are actually disappointed they continued the BG series. I'm guessing they won't be using the IE, so the visual look of the game will look vastly different to begin with (and possibly the combat and interface, depending on how much that was IE-specific).

It might end up being a completely different game (than what everyone is expecting a BG to be) with the name "Baldurs Gate" slapped on the front cover.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

What storyline does BG3 follow? I imagine that it can't really have a significant relation to the Bhaalspawn saga. A prequel?

Or another story entirely just taking place in the Sword Coast?

It was said by the PC Gmaer article it would be before the bhaalspawn saga ... many years before hand . So prequel to some extent, but not necessarily related

Maybe Midway could do it ... [insert sarcasm]I'm sure JE Sawyer would love to try it again [/sarcasm]

...Leisure Suit Bhaal; imagine the possibilities... :huh:

:wub:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Of course it is totally rumor and I have no facts to support the rumor, but I heard that if BG3 did happen...it might be Vivendi Universal doing it.

Not possible...since Atari has exclusive rights to the D&D licence for computer/video games.