Becoming a Developer=A work in process

Craigboy2

...my chances?

I'll be 14 in two weeks and I've loved games ever since I played Mario on the old NES system when I was three and I've loved RPGs ever since I played Icewind Dale when I was eight. I don't know much about progamming mainly because I'm not the richist person in the world so I have to take whatever I can get. So far all I've been able to get is drawing (I'm getting pretty good at it) & photoshop. I have a old version old photoshop and I mess around with it alot (making siggys, avays, cloring random black and white pictures...). Next year in highscool I'll be able to take Pre-AP Computer Science I (for free) and I'll learn Java Basic. So is there anything else I can do to prepare myself to for the game indusrty?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Well, if you're good at drawing and like it, I presume you want to become an artist? First ask yourself what you want to become, search for your inner strenghts (though, when I was 14 I didn't know that yet) and then put much effort into it (duh).

Try to learn more about anatomy, colour theory and begin with sketching, shading, later painting with colours and digital painting. There's a good book with the name "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" from Betty Edwards which helps you to understand how you see things rather than figuring out how they are... The more you understand in traditional art, the easier it will become to you to work with digital art, inclusive modeling and animation.

As for Programming: Well, I guess C/C++ are the high-level languages you'll most probably need. When you get to Pointer and furthermore to Object-Orientated-Programming, things are getting funny (or not). If you think you can think very abstractly and like cursing nonstop at your monitor, this will be your future earn one's living. :rolleyes:

Whatever you want to do, just ask yourself what you think makes most fun and then go for this direction. But since you're just 14, this can change rapidly on a monthly base :)

Anyway, whatever you want to become in the game industry, try to love and understand the medium, otherwise your game will end up like something only the Germans can produce! (now that was nasty....) (w00t)

Edit: Oh, and I forgot the most important line!

never_give_up.jpg

Interesting article... I don't like EA anyway, really. :)

Craigboy may want to be an artist, but I wanna (and am well on my way) to becoming a programmer. In fact, right now I screw around w/ the game more than I actually play it. That and 9AM-10PM seems a lot better than my current AVERAGE schedule of 4:45AM-10:30PM... :ph34r:

Plus, if my gaming career falls through (when I start up in about 5 years) then I have a few good friends that can 'hook me up' with various other programming jobs... Some for the government, some for private industries. All I really need to do is keep my options open, true?

Craigboy, I'd recommend drawing like mad (if you can/feel like it) and playing around w/ 3D images... Art really isn't my thing, so listen to everybody else before me.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Diamond, EA is not the smae story everywhere and not every EA employee hates working there. It's ridioculous to think others. Mnay devlopers would disgaree with you about creating games is not as fun as playing them. That is silly talk.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

First you need to read material related to *game industry*, not *game development*, and decide if you *really* want to be a game developer. Generally developing commercial games is WAAAAAY less fun than playing them.

That's for starters.

I know, I'm not an idiot (Well not a complete idiot) who played Halo (I've never even played it and I also don't like FPS that much) and said this looks fun I want to makes games for a living. I've read those journals about the devs who are abused at EA before.

Oh ya and also, go froggy!

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

If you want to be an artist in today's gaming industry, it's best to affiliate yourself early on with the tools of the 3D trade. Maya and 3D Studio, in particular, seem to be used widely in industry. Be more than a modeler: be an animator - animation for games is an art in and of itself, and one in need of much improvement.

There are doors

Diamond, EA is not the smae story everywhere and not every EA employee hates working there. It's ridioculous to think others. Mnay devlopers would disgaree with you about creating games is not as fun as playing them. That is silly talk.

Volourn, EA is not the smae story everywhere and not every EA employee loves working there. It's ridioculous to think others. Mnay devlopers would disgaree with you about creating games is as fun as playing them. That is silly talk.

You see, both of us don't know the statistics of how many developers really like or hate working in game industry, but if organizations like IGDA get concerned with this topic, it means something.

Despite the continued success of the games industry, the immaturity of current business and production practices is severely crippling the industry . The recent frenzy of discussion over impassioned testimony about the horrible working conditions within much of the industry attests to the reality of this often unspoken disease.

Yes there ARE companies that care about their employees, and this paper mentions it, but there is a general trend of poor quality of life in game industry.

"Yes there ARE companies that care about their employees, and this paper mentions it, but there is a general trend of poor quality of life in game industry."

Organization like IGDA mean nothing to me. I like in games development was so horrible people would be leaving it by the trcukloads; but they ain't. Go figure. Yes, developers have long hours. Big whoop. They aren't the only industry that does that. That doesn't mean their jobs horrible. Most devs seem to genuinely enjoy their work even wiyth us fans whining and the long hours.

If we don't know the statistics then I'm going go with the only evdience we have - there is no mass exodus.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Guys please get back on topic or else this topic will be locked by a mod.

I've had my try at answering the main topic... Just get a healthy background in as much graphic programs that you can...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

If you are going for art, ever seen Shrek? It was made by Maya 6, you can download the full $7000 program for free, it just lands you with watermarks, if you can master it, understand it, tell the people who wrote its source how it works, get them to understand it, you will be able to ream anyone who need graphics in a game, ever played Fable? Beautiful eh? Well, you could make an entire game that looks like my best friend (she happens to look a heck of a lot like the nVidia nymph) if you don't know what the nVidia nymph is, it ain't airbrushed...

BTW could I ask, is VB script, useful? And what skills do I need to be a good Dev. Manager/Writer?

Eagles may soar...

but Rabbits don't get sucked into Jet Engines

Kinda long... funny, and we do consignment programing

One Ring to Rule them all

One Ring to draw them

One Ring to code them all

The last in the coffe spill edits them...

We are the Elite four, we went to high school together, and code games together, I rule them all (Writer/Designer/Director)

-Big Phil (calls Yao ming short, for good reason...) Draws thelevels and basic area coding

-Manu codes our AI, called latte, not for his skin, but he never stops fidgiting

-August edits our code, still has coffe in his class/company ring, and puts so much spit & polish on our stuff, his spit would flood the whole of Mars

Guys please get back on topic or else this topic will be locked by a mod.

No offense, but there are already several topics just like this one.

Can you give me links?

i need help with story writing, and area coding (like the earth, load triggers, etc.)

for all you visiual dudes- download a copy of MAYA, and learn to use it, if you can do that before you die, then you wil have somethign serious going for you

Eagles may soar...

but Rabbits don't get sucked into Jet Engines

Kinda long... funny, and we do consignment programing

One Ring to Rule them all

One Ring to draw them

One Ring to code them all

The last in the coffe spill edits them...

We are the Elite four, we went to high school together, and code games together, I rule them all (Writer/Designer/Director)

-Big Phil (calls Yao ming short, for good reason...) Draws thelevels and basic area coding

-Manu codes our AI, called latte, not for his skin, but he never stops fidgiting

-August edits our code, still has coffe in his class/company ring, and puts so much spit & polish on our stuff, his spit would flood the whole of Mars

Can I help w/ the story? I can 'cite my resources and knowledge at command, like a parrot! Or, if you prefer, I could learn sign-language in a week or two, and sign it like a chimp (which I suppose would be more appropriate...)!

Geekified Star Wars Geek

• 3 weeks later...

Well no job is fun, if it is... than it must be something degrading..

anyhoo..

You should try to get a job that you're comfortable with...

if you're a really social person you might end up as a producer after a decade or more of video game developing.

• 2 weeks later...
Well no job is fun, if it is... than it must be something degrading..

anyhoo..

You should try to get a job that you're comfortable with...

if you're a really social person you might end up as a producer after a decade or more of video game developing.

No job is fun? Personally Im in art school right now. And even though school is apparently never fun... I enjoy doing my (art) assignments. I love drawing and... to be completely honest Im pretty good at it. Im very much planning on heading into the gaming industry and I think I might just be able to do it.

So some advice for those who want to end up on the visual side of things.

Photoshop, maya, painter, etc don't matter as much as say... learning to draw. And don't let others fool you. This is SKILL based and not entirely talent. IE: You can learn to draw if you practice your ass off. Ive seen people I wouldn't even have considered alright in highschool become good. Plus... they are still getting better.

Things to help you learn to draw much quicker than you thought you could:

LIFE DRAWING.

Drawing from your imagination is great fun... but nothing helps more than getting a solid grasp of describing whats really there. This means still lifes (boring at first... but when you see the results its all the more worth it) and drawing people. Your town more than likely has an art community that gathers at least once a week to draw from a nude model. This may cost money... but its worth it.

STUDY.

Not your reading and memorization study, but the study of form, line, etc from those who have already done it. Get yourself a copy of Loomis and Bridgeman and start copying. You don't have to show anyone these... this is your personal attempt to see what they did, why they did it, and why it works.

DRAW YOUR ASS OFF.

Self explanatory.

If your 14 now and start these things now... you could be seriously amazing by the time your in the work force. Sure its hard work... but its for what you love ain't it?

Plus take yourself over to http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Its a helpful critique subsection of a great forum specifically for the furtherment of concept art. There are a lot of pros from the industry who post there. Including many of the artists who were behind the art of BG2, IWD... and many many other games.

If you still want to do 3d... you can learn that in college. First comes the basics.

WHew it seems as if I wrote quite the reply without even realizing it :-

-toasty

Wow, that has got to be the one of the most helpful posts I've gotten so far and you just joined (this forum) but I have one question what's "Loomis and Bridgeman"?

Wow, that has got to be the one of the most helpful posts I've gotten so far and you just joined (this forum) but I have one question what's "Loomis and Bridgeman"?

Loomis and Bridgman are both acclaimed figure drawing artists from years gone by. You can learn a lot by looking at how they do things :wub:

Bridgman can be found in a lot of books in libraries everywhere... Loomis on the other hand, his figure drawing manual can be found entirely online. Search for 'save loomis' and I'm sure you'll find it.

>_<

-toasty

Loomis and Bridgman are both acclaimed figure drawing artists from years gone by. You can learn a lot by looking at how they do things >_<

Bridgman can be found in a lot of books in libraries everywhere... Loomis on the other hand, his figure drawing manual can be found entirely online. Search for 'save loomis' and I'm sure you'll find it.

:p

-toasty

I found Drawing the Head & Hands in my antic a few weeks back. I don't know why it was there and recently I've been reading it.

I found Drawing the Head & Hands in my antic a few weeks back. I don't know why it was there and recently I've been reading it.

;)

All of Loomis' books are rather rare.

You got yourself a treasure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V

They go for more sometimes too..

And "Figure for all it's worth" goes for even more...

-toasty

:thumbsup:

All of Loomis' books are rather rare.

You got yourself a treasure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V

They go for more sometimes too..

And "Figure for all it's worth" goes for even more...

-toasty

Wow. I think it was my grandmother's. She died five years ago...