KOTOR 1 VS KOTOR 2

The Poll that lets us all know where everyone stands. How Do You Rate KotOR II vs. KotORI/other RPGs. (BUGS and specific techinical flaws ASIDE please. They can be fixed by patch/Mod!!!)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. The Poll that lets us all know where everyone stands. How Do You Rate KotOR II vs. KotORI/other RPGs. (BUGS and specific techinical flaws ASIDE please. They can be fixed by patch/Mod!!!)

• TSL is the BEST Game I have ever Played, Period.
    • TSL is the BEST RPG I have ever Played.
    • TSL is Superior to its Predescessor.
    • TSL is one of the Top 10 best RPGs of All time
    • KOTOR 1 is the Best Game I have ever played. Period
    • KOTOR 1 is Superior to TSL.
    • KOTOR 1 is the BEST RPG I have ever Played.
    • KOTOR 1 is the Best RPG I have ever Played.
    • TSL and K1 are different, but I like them both the same.
    • They Both suck. I thought this was the Star Trek Movie site...

Everyone please vote I would like this to be an accurate survey that really shows what popular opinion is.

Sorry this Poll is a littel long and specifc. I woudl rather have made one that simply said TSL, KotOR1 but I wanted to see how strongly u guys really feel about the game not just which one you thought was better.

Something so simple as a poll, yeesh.

Since this forum contains no KotOR'1 discussion board, it is unlikely anyone here will represent those who enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic moreso than its bastard-sibling The Sith Lords. Surprisingly though (not really), a lot of people who camp here find the first better than the second, anyway.

This will not be an accurate poll since its the equivalent of going into a Lesbian Forum and asking which of the following they preferred: Boys or Girls.

Nonetheless, KotOR'1 is finished, is more challenging when fighting and earning credits as well as demanding of intelligent choices when concerning powers and is somewhat more balanced. KotOR'1, while 'cliche', is finished, isn't hard to endure when concerning mumbo-jumbo lines (Kreia), and is overall a solid product that won Game of the Year. A lot.

You won't see a hundred Game of the Year tags on KotOR'2 because, well, quite simply, the game blew chunks.

I suppose KotOR II certainly makes it into my top 10 RPGs of all time, specifically for its writing. But that's not saying a great deal: there are no more than seven or eight RPGs which I would count as being among the truly great, that I have played, and I have played most of history's major RPGs. In gaming, I absolutely do believe it to be a competitor for the status of having the best written character dialogue of all time in an RPG. Unsurprising, though, given who was behind it. And unsurprising, as well, that its nearest competition I can name would be Planescape: Torment. KotOR I might be up there for quality of writing, but I wasn't reading it with adequately conscious critical intent, so I can't say I'm sure where to place it among the greats for its dialogue quality.

I think you would enjoy Jolee Bindo, and Canderous, and HK-47, and Bastila, and even Carth.

They all had dialogue depth, and while they all had missions that may not relate to the overall quest, it gives you time to experiment and get off the main quest for awhile. The planets are all well-developed and there's no real place without any set of monsters and items. In KotOR'2, everything was so easy to find despite the randomness -- I got all I need by the time I left Dantooine (first planet), had two Jedi in my party half way through my second planet (Nar Shadaa) and all and all, didn't find it to my gaming experience needs.

One was better.

Something so simple as a poll, yeesh.

Since this forum contains no KotOR'1 discussion board, it is unlikely anyone here will represent those who enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic moreso than its bastard-sibling The Sith Lords. Surprisingly though (not really), a lot of people who camp here find the first better than the second, anyway.

Well, your seeming disgust for the game doesn't seem to stop you from trolling the forum on a persistent basis. If many a fan of the KotOR universe is as virulent a troll as you yourself are, I don't see why there wouldn't be more KotOR I biased posters around here. After all, what's the fun of posting on a forum for a game you like and finding constructive common ground, when you can be here, posting on one for a game you dislike and stirring up ire?

It does actually .. Early in the game, you can respond to that old witch "I'm gonna drop you off on the next rock we land on" ... That never happened.. I hate that old bitch, but I guess you gotta stick with her to finish the game

I wouldn't really call TSL's writing "great". Don't get me wrong, some stuff was good/interesting, but how many times did I really need to hear about the force "echoes". Honestly.

There was nothing epic about the game. Gee whiz, hidden Sith and boy they're dark, and even more evil! And that Nihilus in who's vision I'm no more than a spec! Oh, did I just cleave him down with a handful of lightsaber strikes? All that build up for that? Only I, the exiled Jedi, could've managed that?

The villains in general sorta sucked in TSL. At least with Malak, you had this connection to him, this personal score to settle over his betrayal of your former self. He was just some Sith Lord, strong but not all powerful. Here he was bringing the Republic to its knees and yet he wasn't even able to face his old Master man to man to take the Dark Lord title. He was still trying to unlock the full potential of the Star Forger to grow even stronger.

With Nihilus, it was like they tried to show him as darkness embodied, all powerful. They really went too far with it, tried to make it too epic, and failed miserably as a result. There was nothing "real" about him. The guy was all hype.

Anyways, I much prefer KOTOR1 to TSL, by quite a large margin.

I hope in KOTOR3, and the sequels that hopefully follow, we're not going to see one boring large story after another. I'd rather see a story arc done over a few games, where they are fighting the real Sith Empire, yet not expecting to defeat it outright in the very first game. Sorta like how the movies are. The heroes destroyed the death Star and rescued the galaxy in A New Hope, but the Empire was still there, as were its leaders and it came back even stronger.

The games need to have that sorta desperate, epic and prolonged struggle vibe to them. More action as well, not droning on endlessly about echoes and force bonds...

(I won't even go into how dumb I thought it was that "all" the Jedi were dead or in hiding after such a short time span in between games).

T3 had no personnality whatsoever in Kotor, he was completely blank, that sucked.

The great thing about Kotor is all the characters pitched in and to the very end, I always alternate party members and it makes it that much more interesting.

One of Kotor2's problems is that you only use a few of your allies, some of them never even leave the ship, and it gets even worse when they start becoming jedi. In Kotor, everyone gets called to bat, in Kotor2 I never use any of the droids and anyone who can't be a jedi becomes a liability to the group.

If Kotor3 ever gets made, they're gonna have to go back to Kotor's idea of party members.

One of Kotor2's problems is that you only use a few of your allies, some of them never even leave the ship, and it gets even worse when they start becoming jedi.  In Kotor, everyone gets called to bat, in Kotor2 I never use any of the droids and anyone who can't be a jedi becomes a liability to the group.

If Kotor3 ever gets made, they're gonna have to go back to Kotor's idea of party members.

Oh, hell yeah. And especially "Something seems to be bothering ___".

If the NPCs had been cut down, it would've been better, too. You get Handmaiden/Disciple, Mira or Hanharr, Kreia, Atton, T3, HK-47, Mandalore, Visas, Bao-Dur, and Go-To. I HATED Go-To, Handmaiden/Disciple are nice but aren't really necessary, Mandalore isn't either. If it'd been shaved down to Mira or Hanharr, Kreia, Atton, T3, HK-47, Bao-Dur, and Visas, all with better character development (particularly Atton and Mira), then I would've been a far happier woman. IMO, a few good NPCs--way better than a surplus of hollow NPCs.

KOTOR 2's NPCs were like a backwards progression from the Baldur's Gate 1-Baldur's Gate 2 progression. In the Baldur's Gate games, they learned that a handful of deep NPCs were much more desirable than mountains of NPCs who never say much beyond their initial greeting.

KOTOR 2 would've been a much better game if they'd made more consistently active characters. But then, having only 13 months, I don't really blame Obsidian. I think they just had too much on their plate.

Couldn't agree more about the NPCs.

Never used T3, Bao-Dur or Mandalore other than when required.

Never used G0T0 or HK.

Once I had Mira, Handmaiden and Visas all as Jedi, I stopped using Atton because why would I want to look at him when I had those 3 chicks (especially with the Exotic Mesh dancer outfits and Jedi armor I made http://img84.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img84&image=miramesh5dn.jpg http://img180.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img180&ima...malejedi6ot.jpg ).

Once those three got pretty good, I didn't use the gimp Kreia anymore either.

Plus it seemed like I unlocked everyone's whole dialog tree pretty early since it was based off of influence, which made the second half of the game rather dull in that regard.

They should have gotten rid of G0T0 and Bao-Dur at the least, plus one of the females (probably Handmaiden with some of her characteristics going to Mira and the possibility of a romance with her).

Personaly I didn't like much K2, it wasn't bad but it just wasn't what I expected and hoped for....

What I really liked about K1 was the atmosphere....the star wars atmosphere that was simply remarkable and rearly encountered in any game....and the players recognized that and that is why it was named a 2003 game of the year by many..

I'm sorry but in K2 I didn't have that "feeling" that I had during K1..... most of the time while I was playing K2, and especially in the end, I just found emptiness and dissapoitment as a result of developers lack of style and talent needed to get the job done that was blinded by nothing but profit which often, if not always, happens to the sequel of a game...

Some will not agree with me.... but don't get me wrong, K2 is not a bad game and it does have certain advantages and improvements in comperison with K1 in terms of interaction with other characters and the whole influnce thing and other no less important things and detailes....

But that is just that.... what they improved and enhanced in K2 where just detailes in comperison with the things that it desperately needed in order to be as good and successful or even better then K1....

By my opinion K2 primarily lacked a depth in the story, the unique star wars feeling - that I had in K1, K2 story was just too superficial, unfinished, kind of

"empty".....

They are both decent games, but while KotOR2 has some better implemented features (prestige classes, high level cap, weapon switch, influence system, etc.), I still find KotOR1 to be better because the story was deeper.

Sure, KotOR2 has a great story, but the point is we didn't get to see it - LA had it cut. So loss for KotOR2 there :blink:

As for the better rules in KotOR2, they don't matter much next to the lack of plot and story depth. It helps, but since KotOR games uses d20 as a basis, the rules will always be something I endure rather than enjoy, since I think d20 rules are horrible - I'll never play a KotOR game for that reason, so it becomes rather moot that KotOR2 implements more classes and features of d20 than KotOR1 did.

At least to me.