Zhen Need's You!!!

Zhen Dil Oloth

Zhen needs your help dear folks.

I am about to publish my very own very first fantasy comic book, and would need your feedback concerning two possible versions for the cover of book one.

1) Which cover would attract your attention the most. If you can, explain why??

In other words, which one would make you go "Woah!!" like your friend Neo the most.

2) Which one do you prefer? And again, why?

3) Which one would do the better job in convincing you to grab the book off the shelves and buy it? And of course, Why?

Thank you greatly for your help.

Cover A)

page00aacoverfront0wv.jpg

or cover B)

page00bbalternatecoverfront0sc.jpg

Once more, thank you.

Cover B gives a far more professional impression. In fact, I see now that cover A is, if you excuse my language, rubbish.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah I think cover b also. Cover a wouldn't look bad if it was the dragon logo overlayed on some other (action maybe ) imagery, but I don't think the pure black background is flattering.

edit: Actually (looking at your site) the black doesn't look that bad when coupled with the back of the book.

Cover B gives a far more professional impression. In fact, I see now that cover A is, if you excuse my language, rubbish.

No need to excuse yourself.

I am not looking to stroke my ego.

I am looking for an honest opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Wow. You deserve special commendation merely for your attitude if nothing else (though cover B is extremely worthy of applause as well :blink: ). It's almost like you're the complete antithesis of Weiser Cain. Your very competent demonstration of vestige proportionality further cements your polar opposite status to the infamous Weiser Cain. Way to go, Zhen! :cool:

manthing2.jpg

definitely B .. it has, as Kaftan said, the most proffesional look to it!

A looks more like the cover of a D&D rule book ..

B looks like an actual comic, while not the sort I would pick it, it does indeed seem much more appealing! and since there's more happening in the picture it's also more a of an eyecatcher!

nicely drawn too! and the very best of luck in selling it! :blink:

Fortune favors the bald.

I like cover A, except for the fact that the dragon looks a bit too "childish" in my eyes. The only thing about cover A that I don't like are the vertical red lines that make the entire cover look very 80'ish. I would remove those, draw a more professional looking dragon (trying hard not to make it a Mortal Kombat rip-off) and use cover A. The cover B is very nicely drawn, but it doesn't look very classy or artistic, it's just a bunch of unknown characters crammed on top of each other. Also, it resembles so many other magazines out there, it wouldn't be able to distinguish itself from the crowd.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

To be constructive, the reason cover A looks bad is first and foremost the dragon, its eyes look wrong. And secondly, that font is a definite no-no. Its completely out of place in comparison with the logo and its also very clumsily applied with low-quality antialiasing. Looks like its done in windows paint.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Where are the half naked women?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Yeah I think cover b also. Cover a wouldn't look bad if it was the dragon logo overlayed on some other (action maybe ) imagery, but I don't think the pure black background is flattering.

edit: Actually (looking at your site) the black doesn't look that bad when coupled with the back of the book.

Thanks for the feedback.

Did not post the back cover since what I am most concerned at this point is knowing what the reaction to seing the cover on the stand might be.

But every little bit of feedback helps.

Wow. You deserve special commendation merely for your attitude if nothing else (though cover B is extremely worthy of applause as well :- ). It's almost like you're the complete antithesis of Weiser Cain. Your very competent demonstation of vestige proportionality further cements your polar opposite status to the infamous Weiser Cain. Way to go, Zhen! :cool:

Thanks... I think.... :);) although I have no idea who Weiser Cain is. :huh::huh:

Once more thanks.

Not sure if it was meant as a joke or not, but you do have a point. If the choice is between the two shown covers, B is definitely the "Comic" book cover, whereas A is... dunno, game box cover art from the late eighties.

However, if you really want to sell, you do need T&A on your cover and that means some completely unrealistic proportioned red head wearing little more than bodypaint. Sex sells, simple as that :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

definitely B .. it has, as Kaftan said, the most proffesional look to it!

A looks more like the cover of a D&D rule book ..

B looks like an actual comic, while not the sort I would pick it, it does indeed seem much more appealing! and since there's more happening in the picture it's also more a of an eyecatcher!

nicely drawn too! and the very best of luck in selling it!  :-

The D&D look is at least somwhat part of the intent.

Maybe a too desperate attempt to attract the attention of gamers?

I know many gamers (P&P or CRPG) who don't want nothing to do with reading comics. Even comics that is exactly the kind of comics they would enjoy. You practically have to twist their arm to get them to pick up a comic and give it a try.

And even if they end up loving it, you still need to twist their arm to try another one. ;)

This is in part my way to try to "twist their arms" into at least taking a look at the damned book.

But it does not mean that it actually works or is even a good idea. Which is why in part why we are here.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. It is greatly appreciated.

I like cover A, except for the fact that the dragon looks a bit too "childish" in my eyes. The only thing about cover A that I don't like are the vertical red lines that make the entire cover look very 80'ish. I would remove those, draw a more professional looking dragon (trying hard not to make it a Mortal Kombat rip-off) and use cover A. The cover B is very nicely drawn, but it doesn't look very classy or artistic, it's just a bunch of unknown characters crammed on top of each other. Also, it resembles so many other magazines out there, it wouldn't be able to distinguish itself from the crowd.

The trend in comics right now is to do what is called by many an "iconic cover". A single or couple of characters simply posing for the camera somewhat like what you would find on the cover of a magazine.

The thinking behind it is that it will attrack the attention of the people who buys such magazines.

I wanted to go against this trend with cover A. I wanted to do stand out from the stand and attract attention when placed right next to these covers.

But not being a complete moron, I knew that publishers I would approach might not be too crazy about this idea and might want an "iconic cover".

So I did a mock-up of both in order not to turn off any potential publishers simply because it does not feature the "iconic cover" they like so much.

I also did a mock-up of potential covers for book 2 and 3, and there is no red line. So taking it out would be a definite possibility.

Thanks for the feedback.

his kindness almost makes me cry....cover b by a long shot.

the first is too plain.

did you draw this btw? whoever drew it needs some congratulations.

Yes I did draw this.

I did everything on it. Which makes it very personal, but which also does hurt the final result.

I did not know that first thing about computer lettering or coloring not too long ago. So I had a lot to teach myself ahout the process and how to use programs such as photoshop. Although ,my knowledge of photoshop is light years ahead, of what it was just a year ago, I still need have a lot to learn/master.

Although I do have a great inker, a legend in the field of comics, and a fabulous colorist lined-up to collaborate on the final cover.

Thanks.

Not sure if it was meant as a joke or not, but you do have a point. If the choice is between the two shown covers, B is definitely the "Comic" book cover, whereas A is... dunno, game box cover art from the late eighties.

However, if you really want to sell, you do need T&A on your cover and that means some completely unrealistic proportioned red head wearing little more than bodypaint. Sex sells, simple as that ;)

Although T&A are a great marketing tool and would probaly double the sales on the book by itself, it is not a direction that I am prepared or even willing to take.

Sorry.

Unless you have a crystal ball and tell me that such a device would insure that there would be 3 feature films and hundreds of action figures/posters/etc sold, and even then I would hesitate to use such a device.

It is not that sort of book.

Does it mean that there never will be a half naked women in the book or on the cover?? No. But if there is, it will be decided by the needs of the story, not for the sake of simply showing T&A to sell more books.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ditto. But I must say that looking at the back cover in your album makes me cringe. Are you trying to make a pulp fantasy parody? Because if you're not, that text in the back needs some serious re-doing. We don't live in the sixties anymore, you know. ;)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds