Looking around

Valdrane

Heh, yeah I was wondering are there actually any RPGs out there that DON'T have anything to do with Bioware, Obsidian, BIS, or Interplay?

Arcanum, ToEE, and Vampires from Troika, as well as a few other random games such as Morrowind and the FF series (neither of which I care for).

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

Heh, yeah I was wondering are there actually any RPGs out there that DON'T have anything to do with Bioware, Obsidian, BIS, or Interplay?

Arcanum, ToEE, and Vampires from Troika, as well as a few other random games such as Morrowind and the FF series (neither of which I care for).

Don't Troika have some former BIS/IPLY staff? (before their demise, obviously)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Fallouts is trickier. Interplay no longer maintain the official sites, but I'd recommend www.nma-fallout.com, one of the larger fansites for the game.

The fallouts are a bit old though, so they're not exactly up to pair in terms of graphical quality (if that's an issue). But they are good enough that you should take a look for yourself.

:(

I think theres a patch for higher resolution for FO2 available from the NMA website.

"Arcanum, ToEE, and Vampires from Troika,"

Troika has connections to Interplay/BIS.

"I expect Bethesda will do Fallout 3 right. They've long been the kings of the open-ended RPG (Arena really was the first of its kind)."

Ha. Bethesda is awful. Worst RPG Developers ever. Make me puke.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There are lots of good rpg out there but some of them stand out more than others.

Planescape: Torment

The way the story is told and the way you develop yor character and interact with people in this game is truly amazing. I couldn't sleep after i finished it. This game will move you, but it might be a hard nut to crack, due to the huge amount of text. Well writen and intelligent text i might add.

Baldur's Gate. Shadows of Amn

This is a huge game, and i think it's one of thouse games that pulled it off best. Combat i complex and fun, and you have lots of freedom, without loosing track of the main plot.

Fallout

Freedom! A very nice setting, lots of fun dialog. It's nice to have a mature game, with a matur content. Pluss for being non-standard-tolkien-fantasy, even thou the mutants are the wastelands orcs:)

I might add that arcanum has a very well done settign, but it's buggy and some find it to flawed, but I like it very much.

I think theres a patch for higher resolution for FO2 available from the NMA website.

Higher resolution doesn't always mean better graphics though. I've never felt that FO needed that. I don't particularly feel that the graphics are that bad either, but I do realize that playing a game in 256 colors can put a lot of people off, especially if the first RPG they played was KotOR.

Then again, I guess higher res won't hurt either.

If you prefer 3D before 2D then these games might be for you:

Gothic

Gothic 2

Deus Ex

System Shock 2

They are all games with good stories (great, in the case of Deus Ex), real time combat and full 3D worlds.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ha. Bethesda is awful. Worst RPG Developers ever. Make me puke.

I agree about Morrowind, but Dagerfall is great. Dated, but great.

Oh, and System Shock 2 is one of the best games ever. However, it's only a RPG in the sense that it uses stats.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The Thief series isn't exactly an RPG, but it does have a great storyline. Much better than Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Plus the fan/mod community is freaking amazing. Playing fan missions that make the developers say "Wow!" is a definate plus. :) System Shock 2 isn't exactly an RPG either, but it's worth at least one play-through.

Don't be afraid to get an emulator for the SNES, and find Chronotrigger and Final Fantasy 6. They rank in my top ten games ever.

The Thief series isn't exactly an RPG, but it does have a great storyline.  Much better than Deus Ex and System Shock 2.  Plus the fan/mod community is freaking amazing.  Playing fan missions that make the developers say "Wow!" is a definate plus. :lol:

Ditto. It's especially fun when some of the former developers have decided to enter the community and not only share insider-info, but to some extent even make new missions. Feels like you get a free expansion :thumbsup:

BlueNinja, are you at TTLG? And if so, then what's your nick there?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

BlueNinja, of course. Every forum I'm on, I have the same name. It has a certain benefit. I don't visit TTLG as much recently. Unless they finally released a map editor for Thief3, then I think I shall visit more often.

BlueNinja, of course.  Every forum I'm on, I have the same name.  It has a certain benefit.  I don't visit TTLG as much recently.  Unless they finally released a map editor for Thief3, then I think I shall visit more often.

You should visit more often

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/shownews.asp?id=1769

:thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds