Looking around

Valdrane

I am a beginner RPGer, I broke my cherry with KOTOR a month or so ago and followed it up with KOTOR II. I enjoy the way it was presented and the story lines. Are their any other games that are similar to KOTOR, with an engrossing plotline and interesting characters?

What would yall recommend that I play next while I wait for KOTOR III to come out (which will be a while)?

Here's the list:

Start out with Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II. Expansion packs for both are optional, but recommended.

Then go try Fallout and Fallout 2.

Planescape Torment.

Icewind Dale + Icewind Dale 2.

Those games seem to be the general (not absolute) consensus around these here parts.

Other games of note:

Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

*Addendum: Jade Empire is coming out next week for the xbox.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

NWN with its expansions, FF series (though it's a different style of rping), and Lionheart are also games to check out. You may like them. You may not. Then again, that goes for Lefard's games as well. You never know...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You know...I was thinking I forgot something from that list.

NWN. heh.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"Are most RPG games centered around Goblins and Elfs and such? I am not so much into those types of things."

Most are. Of those games, FO series, PST, and Ff series not much about goblins and elves. Same with Jade Empire; but it's not out 'til next week though so don't rush to the store to buy it. LOL btw, Most of these games are made have some connection to the makers of KOTOR or the makers of KOTOR2's old company in some way....

The Fallouts and Vampire have no goblins and elves.

But those games as previously listed above are considered the modern classics of the rpg genre. It just so happens that many of them contain goblins and elves. I think it's worth a shot if you can get past the green skin and pointy ears.

I'll go try the Fallout series first. That Jade Empire was looking nifty too. Vampires though, I heard is full of bugs. While I rarely have problems with bugs, even with the few that where in KOTOR II, it is still a matter of concern.

As for Goblins and Wizards and such, I did plenty of D&D when i was a kid, so I kinda got my fill for a lifetime.

Oops.. I forgot to mention Vampire when I was listing games that don't focus or don't have gobs and elves.

And, yah, JE looks good; but remember it's x-box only so if you don't have that come join the rest of us crybabies. :p

Oops.. I forgot to mention Vampire when I was listing games that don't focus or don't have gobs and elves.

And, yah, JE looks good; but remember it's x-box only so if you don't have that come join the rest of us crybabies. :p

Well, that sucks. I refuse to buy a console. Consoles are for children.

"Well, that sucks. I refuse to buy a console. Consoles are for children."

WOW! I didn't know my nearly 60 year father who has had 7 children and worked in the mines for nearly 30 years was still a child. Hmmm...

P.S. You do realize that your prcious KOTOR series are on x-box too, right?

There are no goblins or elves in Planescape Torment.

It IS a Fantasy-setting but a very, very different one. So different that a lot of people that like traditional tolkienesque fantasy disliked it because it was too "out there". It deserves being played, although there is a lot of text in it to read. Though that is true of all RPGs before KotOR, but Planescape is probably the wordiest of them all. So if you don't like reading you won't like it (or maybe you will anyway because the writing is THAT good).

The Fallouts are also great, but if you don't like buggy games do not under any circumstances play FO2 unpatched. For me it was much worse than Vampire Bloodlines in regards to bugs before the patch arrived. After the patch though it was all good.

I also liked Vampire a lot and really didn't find it to be that buggy. It does perform poorly on many systems though, but if you have a high-end rigg it should run fine and the patch takes care of the showstopping bugs.

LOL btw, Most of these games are made have some connection to the makers of KOTOR or the makers of KOTOR2's old company in some way....

Heh, yeah I was wondering are there actually any RPGs out there that DON'T have anything to do with Bioware, Obsidian, BIS, or Interplay?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yep, I realize they are, and that is my personal opinion.  If your father wants a console gaming system, then he can have it.  I personally think consoles are toys for children.

There were times when I was a kid when that was true, or at least it was a common perception. Not sure how true it is now, given that so many games are released on both PC and console.

Heh, yeah I was wondering are there actually any RPGs out there that DON'T have anything to do with Bioware, Obsidian, BIS, or Interplay?

Sierra made the Quest for Glory games, Origin (then EA) made the Ultima games. Both are quite old and tricky to get hold of now, but classics nonetheless.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Sierra made the Quest for Glory games, Origin (then EA) made the Ultima games.  Both are quite old and tricky to get hold of now, but classics nonetheless.

I'm talking within the last 5 or so years.

Was Morrowind developed or published by anyone associated with the companies I mentioned? If so, then that's the only one I can even think of that is considered of high quality (relatively speaking).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

My $.02 - Buy the NWN Platinum addition (for the upgrades to gameplay) and download some of the excellent player-created mods from Bioware website. Some are the best RPG's I have played!! Try the Paladin Series and Penultima Re-Rolled Series. I think that there are probably newer ones also, but I haven't tried any for about 9 months now. ALSO - The Hordes of the Underdark expansion (it comes with the game) is very good as well!

Was Morrowind developed or published by anyone associated with the companies I mentioned?  If so, then that's the only one I can even think of that is considered of high quality (relatively speaking).

Dont think so. Plenty of MMPORGs made by people without contacts to them as well.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Are there any webpages for the Fallout series or the Vampire Bloodlines game.  I would like ot take a peek at them before I go out and buy them.  Thanks.

Vampire: http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/

Fallouts is trickier. Interplay no longer maintain the official sites, but I'd recommend www.nma-fallout.com, one of the larger fansites for the game.

The fallouts are a bit old though, so they're not exactly up to pair in terms of graphical quality (if that's an issue). But they are good enough that you should take a look for yourself.

:thumbsup:

Sierra made the Quest for Glory games, Origin (then EA) made the Ultima games.  Both are quite old and tricky to get hold of now, but classics nonetheless.

I'm talking within the last 5 or so years.

Was Morrowind developed or published by anyone associated with the companies I mentioned? If so, then that's the only one I can even think of that is considered of high quality (relatively speaking).

Indeed not. Bethesda is its own entity, with its own long history on the PC RPG scene and its own RPG setting. Westwood is another formerly important name in PC RPGs (as well as RTSs), most prominently for the Lands of Lord series, but EA ate them up and crapped them out, as EA is wont to do. I expect Bethesda will do Fallout 3 right. They've long been the kings of the open-ended RPG (Arena really was the first of its kind).