KOTOR 3 - Truth or speculation

Ah, but Revan's 'true nature' was exposed when the Council brainwiped him. So, you were playing his 'true nature', be it good or evil. Just because the memories associated w/ those things were mutilated doesn't change personality (unless your like me and deliberatly shape your personality to keep things in your comfort zone aka you see all, but people ignore you, and hardly anybody gives you a second thought).

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

"Ah, but Revan's 'true nature' was exposed when the Council brainwiped him. So, you were playing his 'true nature', be it good or evil. Just because the memories associated w/ those things were mutilated doesn't change personality (unless your like me and deliberatly shape your personality to keep things in your comfort zone aka you see all, but people ignore you, and hardly anybody gives you a second thought)."

How was that his true nature if the council altered his mind?

Playing Revan now would be more like JK Outcast's Kyle Katarn than my PC from Kotor2

Revan has his own personality,the exile doesn't :blink:

Revan got his memory back of course, the point is that you still don't know what those memories are. You can still make plenty of ingame decisions as to what are those memories and what that background is. And Vrook, aside from him a Jedi Master and an idiot do you know anything else about him at all?

The fact is you don't know who the real Revani s because they never told you. You only know what Revan did in the Mandalorian Wars and in the events after. You have no idea at all at who Revan is as a person, where Revan came from, and even more interesting for me how all of these events have changed and affected him/her.

Role Playing is defining and shaping the life and actions of a character within the parameters and universe set within the game. A background or memories hardly diminish role playing, if anything they enhance it for all of the new opportunities they open for subplots, sidequests, relationships. As these new aspects of a known character are ocurring and you are learning about them and choosing the next course of action, that is what role playing is.

I've played pen and paper RPGs and let me tell you as detailed and complete as a character is then the better that character is developed and more opportunities arise for that character to grow and change during the course of the experience.

For me the Exile was just that, an exile with no past, no real future, in the end just a hollow shell. You seriously underestimate all of the opportunities that could rise from a more detailed character than a vague fill in the blanks one like the Exile.

But if you feel that knowing nothing about the character and doing nothing except the immediate actions or making the decisions based solely related to the immediate events occuring it makes the character more your own then great. Frankly I feel Revan was almost as much as an empty character as Exile. An when I think which of the two characters I'd like to revisit if given the opportunity I see a far more compelling story from Revan than Exile.

Exile very much has his/her own personality or weren't you paying attention as you played K2, you set what that personality is ingame. Both characters have as much potential for development as a new third, even more I'd say.

And again, you basically know that Revan has back his/her memory but you have no idea what that memory is. There is plenty if not too much you could still choose to shape Revan as a character. The same with the Exile, beyond being a general and Malachor V you know nothing about him/her. But there is hardly any lesser role playing experience playing with Revan than Exile, if anything there a much more interesting story to be told from that perspective at least for me.

Doesn't matter though, you know K3 will stick you with some stupid noob that now magically has to finish both journeys of Revan and Exile for them, and they will be reduced to a lousy cameo if a lot or some dialogue choices if less.

Doesn't matter though, you know K3 will stick you with some stupid noob that now magically has to finish both journeys of Revan and Exile for them, and they will be reduced to a lousy cameo if a lot or some dialogue choices if less."

Agreed :blink:

Personally I think it would be good to get a new character...fresh start.....

but tie in the past two stories, and start close where the last one left off....

either that or do it like this.....

start 10 or 15 years after K2....you are a young jedi trained by exiles former party members at a new jedi academy....you learn from the jedi's archives about the mysteries surrounding Revan and exiles past...the galaxy has been peaceful for a long time and the threatening Sith Attack never came, and noone heard from Revan or Exile again....

You go to the unknown regions to find out what happened...maybe with a few members from K1 and K2, maybe not, maybe totally new party memebers....

You get to the empire and find out that it was completely destroyed about 10-15 years ago....by Revan and Exile...they conquered the Sith....and then succombed to the DarkSide.....Revan became the Lord of the Sith once again and Exile became his apprentice....and they have been rebuilding their empire for the past 10-15 years...while the galaxy was at peace.....

it makes sense if u think about it, and cast aside the views of "your revan" and "your exile' because your "revan" and your "exile" had both been to the darkside before....and one of them was a Sith lord...

then you have to escape from the empire...that could be the first half of the game...you rally up forces from the Republic and go to the empire to wage the war and defeat them....and the o-so-long anticipated great war will finally begin...

except in the second half of the game some of the Jedi Masters from the Academy come with you...because they might want to try to turn revan and exile back to the light.....depending on Gender..u could do it the same way K2 did it with the dialogue....

Bastilla and Handmaiden/Visas come with u....or Carth and Atton/Disciple....

and you can either defeat this new Sith threat, and then take the role as the other members and turn Revan and Exile back to the light, similar to Bastilla in K1...or kill off Revan and Exile, and then the jedi masters, and take over the galaxy as dark lord (ur new PC I mean)

Yup and since they were both Sith, they could both have hoods and robes on and masks or whatever they wanted...it would be cool if Revan went back to his old robes and Exile dawned Nihilis's mask that he stole....

do you guys like my theory of it all or is it too out there??

I made it all up off the top of my head while I was writing it haha, but the more I read it, the better it sounds and I don't see too many areas that would bring up conflicts....any thoughts?

EDIT: of course T3 and HK would be given party memebers....remember R2D2 and C3PO traveled with both Anakin as a Jedi...and Luke....many years apart...so these droids making another appearance isnt desperate or a crazy idea...it would fit with the Star Wars themes and feel

I think we'd all agree Lord Satasn that the only way K3 will make all gamer happy is if there were 3 interconnected campaigns, one where you play Revan, one the Exile and one a noobie. That way the gamer plays as who he/she wants and even still has the opportunity for many a replay as you only see one side of the three sided story in each campaign, moreso with gender and alignment variations for each set at the beginning.

Course that's just a fabrication never will happen. Too bad, I think that'd make K3 live up to the potential it should have.

Honestly Revan would only defeat the Exile with Kreia's teachings about manipulation. :huh:

I think he could even manipulate poor old exile to fall to the dark side.

Revan probably has the strongest mind while the Exile seems stronger in the force(after defeating hundreds of old Sith Lords)

It's a simple match between Revan's mind and Exile's power ;)

And i'm with revan on that one :ermm:

Exile only killed two Sith Lords, and then Kreia, a fallen jedi and fallen Sith....

I agree with ur theory on mind over power....but I mean Revan could have learned a new form of manipulation or power from the true Sith that makes him even more powerful in the force than the exile....who knows....

Exile only killed two Sith Lords, and then Kreia, a fallen jedi and fallen Sith....

I was talking about(and exagerated) the true sith lords.

And after defeating(story-wise) the 3 bosses Exile would still be extremly powerful.

Revan has his mind and that's his greatest asset.Even without new teaching he could still trick the Exile :ermm:

I prefered the Exile to be honest.

While Revan was a great character he never really felt like my own. Course that could just be because everything in part 1 was so linear you didnt have the flexability you had in part 2 to create the character (so to speak).

I think Revan a great character but of far better use as a NPC with his storyline drawn out for you. The Exile is a much more open character that you can mold into your own.

There will be a part 3, just to profitable a franchise for there not to be.

I really hope its NOT on the new Xbox tho. I dont wanna have to wait a year after KotOR3 releases to play it while I wait for XBox 2 prices to drop down to reasonable levels.

KotOR franchise my favorite RPG franchise out there but that doesnt validate paying the normal starting retail prices of a new system.

Actually for that reason alone, if they release KotOR3 on XBox 2, I could see the game actually tanking in sales as I dont know a single person that would buy a XBox 2 as soon as it releases (or even with in a year after it releases).

I agree as well, Revan had a great story in K1 and it became even more great in K2....with all this extra knowledge, but also it took away the personal feeling, which doesnt bother me, and exile had a much more free story...I loved how u could shape exactly how and what went down at his trial, and relive the wars in the korriban tomb, and the recruitment by malak and etc.

It was very well done

But I would have no problem with them going to the Darkside again, especially after trying to confront the true Sith, maybe the only way they could defeat them was with a bit of the darkside, and then it corrupted them.....pretty much like the opposite of what happened to Luke, after he beats Vader, in ROTJ

and it is not a path they haven't treaded before...so it'd make sense...

u get to pick their gender and etc. and they'll have robes and masks, I think it'd be sweet for Exile to be the new Nihilis, at least in the sense that he wears the mask, and has new robes, and Revan wears his old Sith Lord Robes.....from the cutscenes.....

I prefered the Exile to be honest.

While Revan was a great character he never really felt like my own. Course that could just be because everything in part 1 was so linear you didnt have the flexability you had in part 2 to create the character (so to speak).

I think Revan a great character but of far better use as a NPC with his storyline drawn out for you. The Exile is a much more open character that you can mold into your own.

There will be a part 3, just to profitable a franchise for there not to be.

I really hope its NOT on the new Xbox tho. I dont wanna have to wait a year after KotOR3 releases to play it while I wait for XBox 2 prices to drop down to reasonable levels.

KotOR franchise my favorite RPG franchise out there but that doesnt validate paying the normal starting retail prices of a new system.

Actually for that reason alone, if they release KotOR3 on XBox 2, I could see the game actually tanking in sales as I dont know a single person that would buy a XBox 2 as soon as it releases (or even with in a year after it releases).

I absolutely agree about the Exile. I prefer that character too as his identity is much more customizable and it just "feels" like I have more ownership of him.

With regard to the Xbox, I know what you mean. I think part of what allowed KOTOR to exist in the first place is that M$oft needed a really good title that was not a sports game or a FPS.

Heck, we still don't know definitively whether the next-gen Xbox is going to be backwards compatible. So, unfortunately, KOTOR III probably will start out as a next-gen exclusive (whether it is a launch title or not).

The silver lining, though, for some of us, is that Jade Empire is essentially KOTOR sans the SW mythos.

• 1 month later...

Yeah it should also be on PC, (having it first this time around though wouldn't be bad, assuming we don't get the beta version that is)

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom