KOTOR 3 - Truth or speculation

People these days seem to forget an important aspect of a sequel. For is to be Kotor 3, it needs to bring that baggage along. Othereise it would be Kotor: The sith wars or somthing. RPGs are story driven, not action driven, so totally eliminating the story thus far would not only be incredibly stupid, it would also casue a HUGE backlash. Were you satisfied with the ending on k2? do you think, all the closure you need can be supplied with a conversation at the begininng (which by the way, is an incredibly wimpy way of closing off a story)?

The reason people complained about the end of K2 was the open story. People like the Reven and Exile stories, and it would be cruel to just say... ooops... they are dead, start again.

I think you and I would *prefer* to see much the same thing. I'm just saying, who in their right mind is going to write a story where the 2 main scripted characters do not have a fixed gender, alignment, skin color, voice, etc in a game that features voice acting and cinematic cutscreens. Nobody is going to touch that!

Yes, they could find a way not to kill Revan off (some sort of twisted story about him being in a state of suspended animation or something). But it would be really hard for him to come back as an playable NPC and even harder to come back as a PC.

As for the Exile, they could say that he lost his connection to the Force once

he destroyed Malachor V and is no longer on the Force radar screen

. In other words, they could easily "retire" the Exile, but Revan requires special treatment.

I think there will not be a KOTOR III any time soon, but there will be one deep in the future.

could be...let the mystique of Revan cool down and then you can do anything you want with the story. fine by me.

I just want to see more SW RPGs. The KOTOR games are helping bring back the cRPG from near-extinction. It is that simple.

(snip)....this is what john morgon had to say

Obsidian Entertainment is indeed working on a third project. All I can really say is that it's in a state of pre-production at the moment and it is not a Bioware license.

read here if you want proof:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...08entry302708

or here

http://gamebanshee.com/news/static/EEEEFFlyuZNyAUjdZj.php

i have a feeling that Kotor III might have nothing to do with the Revan or exile times line in a way.It better do!

Yes...but you are ignoring what he said later in that very thread:

Isn't Bethesda working on FO3?  Or bought the rights or something?

In any case, my guess is KOTOR 3.

It's not a seque ;)

And you are ignoring:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...pic=32776&st=15

It

Guest MacleodCorp

KOTOR is like fine wine, it gets better with age! If they choose to work on KOTOR III now, I will not buy it when it is released. If they choose to release the game at the end of nect year or the year after, I will most likely buy it.

At the moment, I am not impressed with KOTOR 2, and I don't see myself buying KOTOR 3 if it comes out in the next 12 to 24 months!

Good games take time to develop. KOTOR 2 was not a good game. (Just my opinnion.)

I think you and I would *prefer* to see much the same thing.  I'm just saying, who in their right mind is going to write a story where the 2 main scripted characters do not have a fixed gender, alignment, skin color, voice, etc in a game that features voice acting and cinematic cutscreens.  Nobody is going to touch that! 

Yes, they could find a way not to kill Revan off (some sort of twisted story about him being in a state of suspended animation or something).  But it would be really hard for him to come back as an playable NPC and even harder to come back as a PC. 

As for the Exile, they could say that he lost his connection to the Force once

he destroyed Malachor V and is no longer on the Force radar screen

.  In other words, they could easily "retire" the Exile, but Revan requires special treatment.

Possibly, it depends on how/if they make a new engine. A lot on engines these days just use the char model to make cutscenes. voce might be a prob, but it really is jsut 4 readings instead of 2, not impossible. It would be hard, but I think that LusasArts (most of the time) puts the wants of the consumer base first, otherwise, they kill their precious franchise...

The Exile wouldn't cut himself off from the Force again... The first time was an accident, in the first place.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

The Exile wouldn't cut himself off from the Force again... The first time was an accident, in the first place.

so if the designers of KOTOR III did that to the Exile, you would see that as taking a cheap way out?

could be. I do, however, think people care more about Revan than the Exile. Heck, they could probably set the identity for the Exile....as long as they don't do it to Revan, they shouldn't loose too many fans.

Revan is the problem.

i am certain a 3rd game will be made

there is no way even a money hungry company like LA would stand in the way if they could help it

and anyway, its their ticket to even more cash since they own the rights to the massively successful series, so they would be silly not to commisson another game

its like trying to stop another final fantasy or metal gear game

I do, however, think people care more about Revan than the Exile.  Heck, they could probably set the identity for the Exile....as long as they don't do it to Revan, they shouldn't loose too many fans.

Revan is the problem.

I've noticed that too. Must be the nostalgia thing working or something, because in reality I found both backstories interesting, possibly even moreso for the Exile.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Exile was decent, but I have many more ties to Revan... I don't care if he's not my character anymore, I just think he's cool...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

I've said this before in another thread but just to reiterate: I don't ever wanna see the Exile again. I don't care one lick about the character and have no ties to him/her whatsoever.

It is possible that I may have felt differently for the character if the story was more complete and the relationships with the NPCs was more developed. But as it stands right now, the Exile is a flawed character that occupied a flawed game that leaves way too much ambiguity for my tastes.

I'm all about completing Revan's story. Which BioWare thought they did because its pretty obvious that K1 was not meant to have a sequel. And I don't know why we cant play as Revan again, seeing as how you played as Kyle Katarn a couple times.

There's ways to do it but I wouldn't envy the development company that gets the contract to develop a K3. WAY too many loose ends to tie up. And way too many fans that will be looking at that said development company through a microscope, waiting to pounce on the first bit of info they get and then complain loudly about it.

I'm all about completing Revan's story.  Which BioWare thought they did because its pretty obvious that K1 was not meant to have a sequel.  And I don't know why we cant play as Revan again, seeing as how you played as Kyle Katarn a couple times.

I think you are right. BioWare thought they were telling Revan's story. KOTOR II comes along and now we realize that the story is really about the

TRUE SITH

I would say they should have the Exile appear as a scripted character (maybe someone who is TRYING to get all the Force users together for the big battle with the alien threat). Go ahead and set his identity. Heck, I'd say an orange Twilek male...yeah, why not?

And finish the story with

the demise of the TRUE SITH

. Revan's own story remains unresolved at the end KOTOR III (basically, we all get to write our own endings for Revan).

Then, in KOTOR IV, Revan will have died and someone (such as the Jedi Historian) can tell us everything we want to know about Revan.

That really wouldn't tick off too many people. What would tick people off is to have a PLAYABLE Revan that is the wrong gender, alignment, appearance, whatever.

maybe K3 has to deal with what Revan is doing during the same time as TSL. If that is the case u would indeed need a K4 to finsih teh story lien and by the time that comes out we will all be in retirment homes before the damn story is complete.

I've said this before in another thread but just to reiterate: I don't ever wanna see the Exile again.  I don't care one lick about the character and have no ties to him/her whatsoever.

It is possible that I may have felt differently for the character if the story was more complete and the relationships with the NPCs was more developed.  But as it stands right now, the Exile is a flawed character that occupied a flawed game that leaves way too much ambiguity for my tastes.

I'm all about completing Revan's story.  Which BioWare thought they did because its pretty obvious that K1 was not meant to have a sequel.  And I don't know why we cant play as Revan again, seeing as how you played as Kyle Katarn a couple times.

There's ways to do it but I wouldn't envy the development company that gets the contract to develop a K3.  WAY too many loose ends to tie up.  And way too many fans that will be looking at that said development company through a microscope, waiting to pounce on the first bit of info they get and then complain loudly about it.

Man i ALMOST totaly agree with you I dont want to SEE the exile again but it woudl be nice if we heard 1 or two sentences about him in K# saying he chose to cut himself off form teh force and continue in EXILE so that he owudlnt brign an end to teh force, thats it.

However what i WOULD liek to see is Bao-Dur and Handmaiden be on teh Jedi Council and re-establish the order so that TSl had a little purpose.

I wouldnt even mind if Bao became a Jedi master on the council and rejoined ur party in K3.

maybe K3 has to deal with what Revan is doing during the same time as TSL.

right, they can still do that....as long as you don't have to see Revan and/or hear his voice, you're fine.

they would just need to come up with a way to explain why he is not doing anything now and without killing him (although killing him would be easiest)

maybe K3 has to deal with what Revan is doing during the same time as TSL.

right, they can still do that....as long as you don't have to see Revan and/or hear his voice, you're fine.

they would just need to come up with a way to explain why he is not doing anything now and without killing him (although killing him would be easiest)

Well Kreai tells us revan is outside knwon space and dealing with teh true sith if ur LS u would be trying to defeat them and get ready to warn teh Jedi council, If ur DS you woudl be gathering forces to crush the Republic which you told Carth to keep strong and intact. So it woudl be a challenge of sorts to defeat.

Of course there will be another, read the interview, no more Strikes back endings?

There must be a sequel, it would be detrimental to Star Wars, LA, and (sorry, but where you put an ending like master and commander on it, you ask for it) Obsidian, in support, fans and otherwise, as the last movie is almost out, Kotor will take over the story line, and the mass fan base. Don't go lucas ith it though, the first script was so effective and efficient, Kotor I and New Hope, don't let it go to the dogs

Eagles may soar...

but Rabbits don't get sucked into Jet Engines

Kinda long... funny, and we do consignment programing

One Ring to Rule them all

One Ring to draw them

One Ring to code them all

The last in the coffe spill edits them...

We are the Elite four, we went to high school together, and code games together, I rule them all (Writer/Designer/Director)

-Big Phil (calls Yao ming short, for good reason...) Draws thelevels and basic area coding

-Manu codes our AI, called latte, not for his skin, but he never stops fidgiting

-August edits our code, still has coffe in his class/company ring, and puts so much spit & polish on our stuff, his spit would flood the whole of Mars

Of course there will be another, read the interview, no more Strikes back endings?

There must be a sequel, it would be detrimental to Star Wars, LA, and (sorry, but where you put an ending like master and commander on it, you ask for it) Obsidian, in support, fans and otherwise, as the last movie is almost out, Kotor will take over the story line, and the mass fan base. Don't go lucas ith it though, the first script was so effective and efficient, Kotor I and New Hope, don't let it go to the dogs

Well, you're right about that . With the last movie about to be shown, the SW franchise effectively moves to video games. Video games ARE the modern equivalent of comic books.

That's why LA needs to get some of their top EU writers to map this thing out. This could easily go on for 10 more games.

Yeah one that ends with the Mandalorians in defeat! LOL

Eagles may soar...

but Rabbits don't get sucked into Jet Engines

Kinda long... funny, and we do consignment programing

One Ring to Rule them all

One Ring to draw them

One Ring to code them all

The last in the coffe spill edits them...

We are the Elite four, we went to high school together, and code games together, I rule them all (Writer/Designer/Director)

-Big Phil (calls Yao ming short, for good reason...) Draws thelevels and basic area coding

-Manu codes our AI, called latte, not for his skin, but he never stops fidgiting

-August edits our code, still has coffe in his class/company ring, and puts so much spit & polish on our stuff, his spit would flood the whole of Mars

There's an article about which gamedevelopers are supporting the Xbox 2 (Xbox Next, Xbox 360 or whatever) and Lucasarts are one of them. While it might be far-fetched, i haven't seen any Xbox 2 title from Lucasarts yet.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There's an article about which gamedevelopers are supporting the Xbox 2 (Xbox Next, Xbox 360 or whatever) and Lucasarts are one of them. While it might be far-fetched, i haven't seen any Xbox 2 title from Lucasarts yet.

exactly. how many people complained about the graphics of k2? how many said "it was great, considereing it was ising an obsolete engine"(their words, not mine)

Now how many times did we hear the the kotor engine and the xbox was pushed to it's limits for k2.

It only makes sense for K3 to be out on X2