KOTOR 3 - Truth or speculation

Ok I'm at a loss will there be a third Star Wars Knights of the old Republic game or are people just hoping there will be one cos I can't find anything about a third game just peoples ideas for a third game. Please someone Tell me something solid that I look forward to in the near future.

Ok I'm at a loss will there be a third Star Wars Knights of the old Republic game or are people just hoping there will be one cos I can't find anything about a third game just peoples ideas for a third game. Please someone Tell me something solid that I look forward to in the near future.

It's hard to think that they will not (as this has become LA's flagship game), however, we may see a non-KOTOR SW RPG before we see KOTOR III.

Whether they indended it or not, LA has introduced two characters (Revan and Malak) that are undoubtedly going to have a major role in the EU at some point. I think they realize that KOTOR III is not just about cranking out another game but that all kinds of continuity issues are at stake.

They would be wise to take their time and blow us all away with a really good story.

As most of us know, LA started pre-production of K3 but were forced to drop the project due to financial cutbacks. No game has ever risen again after being dropped so the chances of us seeing it are minimal to nonexistant.

The only chance it has, is if the fanbase manages to stay active long enough to persuade LA to let a third party develop it. Such as with Fallout 3.

But even if they started development right now, it would take atleast 2 years for it to reach the shelves, so you're in for a long wait.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

As most of us know, LA started pre-production of K3 but were forced to drop the project due to financial cutbacks. No game has ever risen again after being dropped so the chances of us seeing it are minimal to nonexistant.

The only chance it has, is if the fanbase manages to stay active long enough to persuade LA to let a third party develop it. Such as with Fallout 3.

But even if they started development right now, it would take atleast 2 years for it to reach the shelves, so you're in for a long wait.

try longer, i want a brand new engine....new everything.

I'm speculating that it might be the truth........maybe

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

It's hard to think that they will not (as this has become LA's flagship game),

Whatever gave you that idea?

It's been a busy year for LA.

What gave me the idea that it is their flagship series? To quote Kreia, "because I am not blind, that is why".

True, they have alot of titles out (Republic Commando, et al) but I don't think any of those titles will surpase KOTOR in critical acclaim or in sales. But if you have some hard numbers, I love to see them. I could be wrong.

There will be a 3rd one

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Speculation: We probably won't hear anything at all about KOTOR 3 until XBOX 2 comes out. It makes sense to develop kotor 3 for the next gen xbox, and all information reagarding development of XB2 games are held under the strictest of security.

the more I think about it, the more I believe that:

1) there WILL be a KOTOR III at some point.

2) LA will need to take complete (and proactive) ownership of the storyline because they now realize what is at stake.

3) Obsidian WILL NOT do KOTOR III.

Why not?

The main reason is that they need to break out of the BioWare Jr mold. KOTOR III does nothing to help them here. They can do SW stuff but just not KOTOR at this time, IMO.

I realize the BioWare tries not to do licensed projects but their new Jade Empire engine is going to be the BOMB for CRPGs. I suspect that LA will try to get BioWare to do it, or, at the very least, have someone else do it with the Jade Empire engine.

In answer to the title, with an interestingly familiar paraphrase:

"Pure speculation, my dead Watson."

Okay, I've never actually read much of Sherlock Holmes...

If LA doesn't have Kotor III made, then I will have very little reason to go to them. I'll probably continue into Dungeon Siege and other games that sound D&D-ish (Like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale).

That Holmes paraphrase was a type-o... It should be 'dear Watson', but it's far too humorous for me to delete it. :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

this is straight from BioWare's KOTOR website:

"It is 4,000 years before the Galactic Empire and

hundreds of Jedi Knights have fallen in battle against

the ruthless Sith. As the last hope of the Jedi, you must

lead a band of freedom fighters in an epic struggle to save

the galaxy. Can you master the awesome power of the Force on

your quest to save the Republic? Or will you fall to the lure

of the dark side?

Hero or villain, savior or conqueror...you must choose wisely

as you alone will determine the destiny of the entire galaxy!"

Basically, the KOTOR time period could be defined as any time

between the demise of Exar Kun and the rise of Palpatine.

That is what KOTOR is. It is not really Revan's story folks.

If I were a game designer and LA came to me with the prospect of

making KOTOR III, I would NOT want to have to deal with all the issues

that Revan and the Exile bring to the table. I would want both Revan and

the Exile dead (while looking into the True Sith threat). So, now, as a

designer, I can give the fans the closure they need about Revan and the Exile

through conversation and start (for the first time) with a totally open

protagonist.

As much as we might want to see Revan swing a lightsaber one more time or hear

Canderous's voice one more time, I really doubt we will get that kind of closure.

We will most likely get closure in conversation and introduce a newbie to fight

the True Sith.

Becasue it will most likely be compatable with Xbox two, and it has no chance at being a launch title, AND they will hold it off for the christmas season, it would be impossible to see the game come out before Dec. 2006.

Realistically im saying Winter 2007 as an achievable launch date. Winter casue its a Heavy Weight series so they increase profits during the Holidays.

And those "loveable" boys at Lucas Arts are alllll about the benjamins.

Becasue it will most likely be compatable with Xbox two, and it has no chance at being a launch title, AND they will hold it off for the christmas season, it would be impossible to see the game come out before Dec. 2006.

Realistically im saying Winter 2007 as an achievable launch date. Winter casue its a Heavy Weight series so they increase profits during the Holidays.

And those "loveable" boys at Lucas Arts are alllll about the benjamins.

Well, i hope it does take that long, it just means that they worked on it more. :)

If I were a game designer and LA came to me with the prospect of

making KOTOR III, I would NOT want to have to deal with all the issues

that Revan and the Exile bring to the table.  I would want both Revan and

the Exile dead (while looking into the True Sith threat).  So, now, as a

designer, I can give the fans the closure they need about Revan and the Exile

through conversation and start (for the first time) with a totally open

protagonist.

As much as we might want to see Revan swing a lightsaber one more time or hear

Canderous's voice one more time, I really doubt we will get that kind of closure.

We will most likely get closure in conversation and introduce a newbie to fight

the True Sith.

People these days seem to forget an important aspect of a sequel. For is to be Kotor 3, it needs to bring that baggage along. Othereise it would be Kotor: The sith wars or somthing. RPGs are story driven, not action driven, so totally eliminating the story thus far would not only be incredibly stupid, it would also casue a HUGE backlash. Were you satisfied with the ending on k2? do you think, all the closure you need can be supplied with a conversation at the begininng (which by the way, is an incredibly wimpy way of closing off a story)?

The reason people complained about the end of K2 was the open story. People like the Reven and Exile stories, and it would be cruel to just say... ooops... they are dead, start again.

People do say that there is going to be a kotor III.I agree that there should be a kotor III.I think the story should center around Revan and the exile and their two crews.Ther should be a new Jedi but he/she is plunged in to a battle and must go on a mission to find out what happened to the two well known leaders-Revan and the exile.also the new crew should get to meet the the cameos of the other crews.I dare not say that who ever makes kotor III better not make kotor III around another time period.the kotor time period should be centered around Revan and exile ant theirs crews.

this is what john morgon had to say

Obsidian Entertainment is indeed working on a third project. All I can really say is that it's in a state of pre-production at the moment and it is not a Bioware license.

read here if you want proof:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...08entry302708

or here

http://gamebanshee.com/news/static/EEEEFFlyuZNyAUjdZj.php

i have a feeling that Kotor III might have nothing to do with the Revan or exile times line in a way.It better do!

For me KoTOR isnt really about revan or exile but rather the star wars universe along time before the days of palpy and co. So K3 doesnt necessarily have to have those characters. Personally i would prefer it if they werent there at all. I want a Pc that is original, free to do what s/he wants and not have some destiny imposed on them that is pre ordained by the first two games.

If K3 is being developed with the Xbox 2 in mind then prepare to wait a while. Since there is still no specific release date set. And also as with all new consoles it takes time for devs to get used to the new tech.

Lucasarts could do basically unlimited KotOR series. There's several thousand years before battle of Ruusan and time of Dath Bane (Beginning of 1000 years of peace in Republic untill Clone Wars).

I don't like to compare KotOR to Final Fantasy, but there could be similarities from the brand name point of view. KotOR series is fine brand name and it really doesn't matter who is the main character as long as it's set in Star Wars universe before Darth Bane.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Not so. Kotor is all about Revan and the Exile, and the effects of their previous actions. It's not all about 4000 yrs. before Palpy and co., it's about (possibly) the final death of the Sith Species. However, we'll have to wait to see about that one, won't we?

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Not so. Kotor is all about Revan and the Exile, and the effects of their previous actions. It's not all about 4000 yrs. before Palpy and co., it's about (possibly) the final death of the Sith Species. However, we'll have to wait to see about that one, won't we?

Well, it is whatever the publisher wants it to be. I personally agree with another poster that it could be best thought of as the time until Darth Bane when a relative peace emerged.

I WILL AGREE HOWEVER, that if there is a 3rd installment of this series, it needs to be the conclusion of the trilogy we are in. And that trilogy, as you have mentioned, is about the death of the racial Sith and the idea that, from that point onward, "Sith" is just a word that some Dark Jedi use to refer to themselves when they have expansionist aspirations.

But they could keep using "KOTOR" to refer to any number of RPGs in that window of time.

Revan and the Exile have been the main foils in the story thus far but it is not really their story so much as it is the story of the end of the racial Sith.

(although that essentially changes EU continuity, but that is another discussion)

I can accept that comprimise, Plano Skywalker. All I can ask for is closure, but then the series can go wherever for all I care, really...

Geekified Star Wars Geek