What's not to like about a KotOR "Prequel"?

It would be a good idea if the PC was someone other than Revan. Revan's path is already set -- he/she inevitably falls to the Dark Side. A confidant or top aid working with Revan during the war would be great and, for added drama, you could have the choice at the end to join Revan's new Sith Empire or die for the light side, like most of those who didn't fall did during Revan's house cleaning...

EDIT: It should be noted that the main story of such a prequel wouldn't be about the PC as much as KotOR I or II. The PC would be watching Revan and Malak change from the idealstic Jedi who set out to save the Republic to it's would be conquerers.

Mace Windu once said, "we are keepers of the peace, not an army".

I would like to play a SW RPG where I am doing what Jedi normally do --

putting out brushfires for the Council.  Let's take a break from saving the

galaxy...most Jedi never do that.

Time period?  I would say about 100 years before the time of Exar Kun.  (I kind of like the idea of using old Exar as the main reference point in these games). 

They could also introduce some foreshadowing for a trilogy based on Exar.

And what was that Atton said? "Jedi are pacifist, except in time of war."

It would be a good idea if the PC was someone other than Revan. Revan's path is already set -- he/she inevitably falls to the Dark Side. A confidant or top aid working with Revan during the war would be great and, for added drama, you could have the choice at the end to join Revan's new Sith Empire or die for the light side, like most of those who didn't fall did during Revan's house cleaning...

EDIT: It should be noted that the main story of such a prequel wouldn't be about the PC as much as KotOR I or II. The PC would be watching Revan and Malak change from the idealstic Jedi who set out to save the Republic to it's would be conquerers.

One of things "we" really need to stop is this idea that your PC is a LIVING LEGEND. Yes, it helped kickstart the franchise but now that the franchise has a good deal of depth, we need PCs that are nobodies and who do not affect the EU storyline.

For instance, we should NOT be given the chance to play Nomi Sunrider in a future RPG, IMO. However, I can definitely see playing someone who is apprenticed to Nomi as a padawan. This would allow the PC to be non-human and would not introduce the kind of continuity issues that we have to deal with now with Revan and the Exile.

The protagonist's identity needs to be TOTALLY OPEN!

And DS and LS paths should lead to much different destinations!

And what was that Atton said? "Jedi are pacifist, except in time of war."

obviously, the war scenario is going to be the mainstay with these kinds of games...they just don't have to do it every time.

by having one game that is not set in a war situation, this would allow us to see the High Council in all its glory and have the PC slowly rise up the ranks from recruit-padawan-knight-master with the blessing of the Council each time.

this would also be a good setting to start having alien PCs as an option.

Another thing. I'm sick of being "bonded" to another character. Or maybe I'm just having a bad day.

Agree. That is another "shorcut" method of storytelling that I would like to see vanish in the future games.

However, a Force Ghost teacher would accomplish much the same thing and would be much more palatable, IMO.

Another thing. I'm sick of being "bonded" to another character. Or maybe I'm just having a bad day.

Agree. That is another "shorcut" method of storytelling that I would like to see vanish in the future games.

However, a Force Ghost teacher would accomplish much the same thing and would be much more palatable, IMO.

YES!!! I've been wishing for that for awhile...force ghosts just added so much mystery and coolness to the Original Trilogy

Ohhh. Force ghost. Like Obi Wan. Or Jaga from Thundercats. Jaga was cool. :blink:

I agree with the topic starter. Make a game that takes place in the Mandalorian Wars but have real time combat incorporated not just a straight up RPG. Give it an academy feel to it. That would respond better. Except with choosable dialog and custom character and skill.

Urm, that's not what I said. :huh: KotOR should remain KotOR *weeps*

Anyways - I agree with the dude who said we should play an unknown/average Jedi at some point down the line in this series: maybe with the ultimate goal of saving a planet.

Yeah, that's right- a SINGLE planet in the entire galaxy. Obviously it would still be as large as the previous games - just loads more areas in one planet - and the locations could still be diverse... i mean, just look at the variation on Earth.

In principle, I'm definately with just playing a regular guy who is *completely* yours as opposed to a character wtih anything defined. I just think (after KotOR 3- which would *finish* the original KotOR arc - thus its not a case a of taking the story back instead of forwards, its a case of "the story's finished, lets go back") a direct prequel would be cool.

After that they should leave the Revan/Exile timeperiod completely.

Actually, one thing I really want to start seeing in Star Wars games are *less damn token planets* - make up some new ones and just throw out all of the established ones from a game.

Tattooine: WAY overused

Hoth: overused

Dantooine: overused

Yavin: overused

Nar Shadda: overused

In fact, every planet that has been mentioned in the classic/prequel trilogy gets used in some other EU source several billion times. Stupid. There are thousands of *systems* in the galaxy, let alone planets.

I mean, GOD. How small do they want us to think this galaxy is?

One of things "we" really need to stop is this idea that your PC is a LIVING LEGEND. Yes, it helped kickstart the franchise but now that the franchise has a good deal of depth, we need PCs that are nobodies and who do not affect the EU storyline.

For instance, we should NOT be given the chance to play Nomi Sunrider in a future RPG, IMO. However, I can definitely see playing someone who is apprenticed to Nomi as a padawan. This would allow the PC to be non-human and would not introduce the kind of continuity issues that we have to deal with now with Revan and the Exile.

That's basically what I was propossing, but in reality, one would be forced into it. Any prequal to KotOR would have to be about Malak and Revan's fall to be really engaging, but one would have to be someone else to keep the moral options open. Then you toss in the fact that the PC is more or less a rank and file Jedi that is never mentioned anywhere, and you have an amigious PC who's taking part in great events, even though no one is really going to remember her/him.

That's basically what I was propossing, but in reality, one would be forced into it. Any prequal to KotOR would have to be about Malak and Revan's fall to be really engaging, but one would have to be someone else to keep the moral options open. Then you toss in the fact that the PC is more or less a rank and file Jedi that is never mentioned anywhere, and you have an amigious PC who's taking part in great events, even though no one is really going to remember her/him.

right, and keep in mind that, since you are playing a someone of "lesser" significance, your PC would not even have to be a Force user. I like the idea of knowing that your PC will *probably* become a Force Sensitive but you have no idea at which level this will happen. Even if your PC goes Force Sensitive, you don't have to develop it...you can continue putting your feat slots into your primary profession.

• 4 weeks later...
obviously, the war scenario is going to be the mainstay with these kinds of games...they just don't have to do it every time.

by having one game that is not set in a war situation, this would allow us to see the High Council in all its glory and have the PC slowly rise up the ranks from recruit-padawan-knight-master with the blessing of the Council each time.

this would also be a good setting to start having alien PCs as an option.

That game would be interesting. However, it wouldn't really serve as a prequal for KotOR, which would really have to be set during the Mandalorian War.

right, and keep in mind that, since you are playing a someone of "lesser" significance, your PC would not even have to be a Force user. I like the idea of knowing that your PC will *probably* become a Force Sensitive but you have no idea at which level this will happen. Even if your PC goes Force Sensitive, you don't have to develop it...you can continue putting your feat slots into your primary profession.

There are two issues with this:

1) KotOR is about Jedi, since they were the knights of the old republic

2) You can be a Jedi and not be some bigwig in the annals of history. There are many forgotten masters, knights, and padwans. The point of the prequal would be to see and participate in parts of Revan's fall to the Dark Side, and eventually have the choice to join her/his or probably die. That is much more signifcant for a Jedi, since Revan targeted them specifically for coversion or assassination.

It would be particularly interesting if Atton was the one who was "convincing" the character if he/she decided to stay with the Light.

I don't think that the Exile is a living legend. He is an extraordinary person but certainly not a living legend. Revan is indeed "the center of the universe".

I also don't think that the PC must be a nobody either. I don't like playing a character who is an obvious loser from day one. I don't know about you but between living legend and living loser i'll choose the first.

Stories are meant to go forward, not backwards. If the games series was meant to start at an earlier point then they should have started the story there. Same goes with the movies. If Georgie boy really wanted to tell the story of Anakin's fall then he should have started with Episode 1 back in 1977. You start the story at the starting point and you finish the story at its end.

Harvey

I think a KOTOR prequel dealing with the Mandalorian Wars, and Revans fall to the dark side is a worth-while story to tell, but not in the same format as KOTOR 1 and 2. The fun of these games are that you control the actions and the destiny of the player character, at least to a certain extent. That's impossible to do with a KOTOR prequel. Revan's fate up until the Endar Spire has been sealed and nothing can change it. They'd have to go with a different approach in order to tell that story. Perhaps a first person shooter (or would that be third person hacker?) like Jedi Outcast, except with the player character variable gendered and with a choice of all of the KOTOR 1 faces.

This is what all fans of Exar are waiting for - to see our master again, so we could worship him ;)

I would love an ending to Kotor to completely not include Revan or the Exile. Don't even mention their collective sorry asses

Missing out on an opportunity to flame Nur? You're going soft Laozi. ^_^

manthing2.jpg

Nope nothing to do with Laozi's ability to respond, merely the Dread Pirate Roberts keeping all safe from SPAM ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: